Computer Intimidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Intimidation

Here we are all the computer, having the time of our lives. There are others out there, even in our modernized society, who have never done it (the computer). The kids nowadays never lived without a computer, so it's like walking to them - sure, the computer - another part of the house, a center for activity, a connection to the outside world. Just like the telephone.

I got in front of a young buck at work today....well, here's how that went, a piece of an email volley with a friend and contributor to my site. She said her mother was afraid of the computer but was trying to learn and here's what I sent back:

I can dig the intimidation thing. Had 3 new contractors come in to work today. All they'll do is being hand shoveling a bunch of sludge than ran out of a holding pond into one of the "streets" inside the mill, but they still have to take the contractor safety course on the computer, about 2 hours long.

A young feller. He was terrified. Big-eyed terrified he would hurt the computer if he touched it wrong. He had obviously next-to-never touched one before. I didn't think young people like that still existed, but they're out there.

They don't have a chance. Like not knowing how to use a phone, almost, these days for somebody young.

<<Unquote "me.">>

Our retired neighbor from our old place in SC just got a puter late in life and is going crazy - calling us every night on the phone trying to get advice on how to send us photos, etc., a whole new world to her - the computer.

Might not be the best-ever subject for a thread, but anybody want to expand on it?

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Computer Intimidation

My brothers and I tried for several years to get Mom (now 89) on line so we could keep her up to speed with what we're doing. We live in three areas of the country and Mom lives in a fourth so connection is not so easy. At one point my middle bro and his SO came up with one of those internet terminals that work thru your TV so I went down and connected it. She wouldn't use it. She was convinced that if she pushed the wrong button the smoke would come out. It has gone to Goodwill.

I finally got a third cellphone with our US Cellular package (we've had really good luck with them). Hers has the same area code as ours so now she'll use it as she understands that calling us from Florida is a local call (which, with US Cell, it is). I feel a bit like I tricked her into it but now she'll carry it if she's driving "Just for fear". She regularly forgets how to retrieve her voice mail messages so I call and talk her thru it - again.

I have to remember that she grew up in a time when only a few folks had phones, no one had seen a TV, and the THOUGHT of a computer didn't exist (except maybe at MIT or somewhere). This world must seem like it's flying past her. It's all I can do to keep up and I think I'm failing at it, too!

Dan

Comment

I have the same issue with my mom.. tho she's only 62.. but to her its not intimidation, it's I don't need it..
      I showed her how to do the bills online and she "got it" right off the bat, but still rather write out a check and mail it for 42cents a whack ???

Comment

My mom's a "Don't need it" person too. But she now doesn't recognize or remember her own kids.

But that's not "it." The big "it" was, when she was "living" she was the last person on earth to accept the microwave oven. She was afraid of THAT. She finally did. It took a while, a long while.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
          My mom's a "Don't need it" person too. But she now doesn't recognize or remember her own kids.

But that's not "it." The big "it" was, when she was "living" she was the last person on earth to accept the microwave oven. She was afraid of THAT. She finally did. It took a while, a long while.
          she might have been on to something

Comment

it is a good topic.

My first sit down with extremely serious (gov't- and SAC command...holy crap..they literally made movires about it.) was simply typing in a maintenance record for an airplane, early 1990s.

I never wanted a computer.
            Getting over intimidation was seeing graphics on a p2 350 play at a radio shack, in 1998.I took a leap with advice and got over intimidation.

12 years since my first bigger one. many builds. I am mad at integrity of stuff shipped to people, me included. I know it exists...in a very serious way. :o
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

One of the family friends that helped raise me as a youngster, she's in her 80's now, got a computer about 5 years ago so she could keep in touch better. She never seemed completely comfortable with it, even doing such mundane tasks as getting email. Once her eyesight got so bad she couldn't really read emails anymore, it got sent to goodwill. It's a shame because I really would like to be able to get her on Skype so she could talk that way.

Comment

I'd never had a reason to own a computer and the only ones I'd ever seen were in high school in the mid '70s up until '97. I'd been married about 5 years with 6 kids, 2 of hers, 2 of mine, then 2 of ours ;D and being 'poor' never could afford one. In '97, her sister got a divorce and moved in with us and brought her kid and computer. Within a week my wife was into full blown internet addiction and the problems started. A couple months later, the nephew set the house on fire playing with a lighter. We separated in Feb. '98 and I wouldn't have a computer if you gave it to me. 4 years later, we reconciled and now are both internet junkies. ;D It did take another five years to talk to her sister.

Comment

Translation of "I don't need it" is "I'm afraid of this thing and I probably can never learn to use it." That and, "I don't understand where this would fit into my life". BTW - your Mom is my age, +/-. I'm hot - but taken (he says with a stupid grin).

Dan

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                  I have the same issue with my mom.. tho she's only 62.. but to her its not intimidation, it's I don't need it..
                  I showed her how to do the bills online and she "got it" right off the bat, but still rather write out a check and mail it for 42cents a whack ???

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    Translation of "I don't need it" is "I'm afraid of this thing and I probably can never learn to use it." That and, "I don't understand where this would fit into my life". BTW - your Mom is my age, +/-. I'm hot - but taken (he says with a stupid grin).

Dan

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                    ha,

Comment

My parents were born in '31 and '38. My Dad eventually moved up to a job where he had a secretary - he would dictate his reports to her, or hand write them on yellow legal pads to have her type them. Mom learned how to type as a young woman - something her chauvenist father made sure she learned 'cause "all girls should know how to type".

Thankfully - my folks have embraced the computer - and my father is continually fascinated by all the information available at our fingertips... he's even written a book about our family, sort of a family tree with a lot of stories about each branch. It's more than 100 pages - and he wrote it all one finger at a time!

In the early 90's I didn't want a computer at home - it reminded me of work. Finally in the late 90's my first wife and I got one and hooked it up to the phone line - and were able to pay bills online.

Then I discovered ebay...

Now I can't imagine what it would be like to learn anything without access to the net - there's an enthusiast / diy site for about every concievable subject in the world available to anyone with access - the vast majority of it free.

Sometimes I think "things just aint how they used to be" and I wish they were..... but when it comes to technology - I'm quite thankful to be where we are now.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X