Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.0 Quake Rattles Northeastern Nevada

Anybody worried about the flats?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: 6.0 Quake Rattles Northeastern Nevada

Are all our Carjunkies OK?

Comment

Guess everything's allright... 8)
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

As I'm probably the closest Junkie to it (~140 miles to the south) I'm doing good. Some here in Ely say they felt it, I may have but being from So. Cal. didn't consider it anything note worthy. Been talking to some people though that have family there, getting stories of cracked water tanks and dancing propane tanks as well as the downtown damage.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

hey guys, I'm not familiar with that area - - -

is that anywhere near the San Andreas Fault Line?

is that normal for that area?

was that one further inland than most quakes out there?

oup

Comment

Originally posted by OldUsedParts
            hey guys, I'm not familiar with that area - - -

is that anywhere near the San Andreas Fault Line?

is that normal for that area?

was that one further inland than most quakes out there?

oup
            Way off from the San Andreas. The San Andreas is off in the Pacific Ocean by this far north, and the Earthquake was near the Nevada/Utah border. I check this site nearly daily: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/ and the big square in North Eastern Nevada was the Earthquake. Was the San Andreas related....not in any direct way, but as the plates grind past one another torsional forces stress half the country, so maybe(could be crustal settling, local stresses,etc). This was a big one for the area, but not un-precedented, but the last major one in the immediate area was tens of thousands of years ago (as determined by sediment offset) but Nevada has a few 6-7.0's every few decades or so.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

thanks, I wasn't aware of all that - - - - it would spook me if I had a home, businnes and was raising a family in that area but I guess the locals are used to it ???

Comment

What would be the rating on a quake that would re-shape the ground? There's stories out there of streets rising or sinking like 15-20 feet at any random spot, people's lawns becoming a minature golf course, etc. I assume this one just "shook", but didn't change the contour of the land?

Comment

TheSilverBuick is a geo-engineer - I'm guessing he's the smartest carjunkie at this particular subject! He has a very interesting job...
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

TSB -
                    Glad you're OK. Are you sure you want to live there? Here in coastal NC we're completely safe - depending on how you feel about hurricanes! Our plan - drive inland. Actually, in 3 years we haven't seem more than a big rain storm.

Later
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      TheSilverBuick is a geo-engineer - I'm guessing he's the smartest carjunkie at this particular subject! He has a very interesting job...
                      Yeah, like you don't...

Comment

SilverBuick please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's the make up of the soil and strata in a given area that will determine the amount of potential damage at a given magnitude. Sandy loam and a high water table would be at a higher risk.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                          Yeah, like you don't...

my day job is boring as hell!!! I'm a middle manager at a boring middle america company that keeps data on people and businesses. No one here appreciates the EFI/car stuff I do on the side. Short of my office decor, consisting of pics of cars I tuned in the past few years, magazine articles etc. this job really blows!!

on the weekends and evenings, however - different story. But as far as raw smarts, TheSilverBuick beats me by a wide margin.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                            Yeah, like you don't...

my day job is boring as hell!!! I'm a middle manager at a boring middle america company that keeps data on people and businesses. No one here appreciates the EFI/car stuff I do on the side. Short of my office decor, consisting of pics of cars I tuned in the past few years, magazine articles etc. this job really blows!!

on the weekends and evenings, however - different story. But as far as raw smarts, TheSilverBuick beats me by a wide margin.
                            :-[ Oops. I thunked that yoo did EFI for a living...

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                              TSB -
                              Glad you're OK. Are you sure you want to live there? Here in coastal NC we're completely safe - depending on how you feel about hurricanes! Our plan - drive inland. Actually, in 3 years we haven't seem more than a big rain storm.

Later
                              Dan

Dan, I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is a fault that runs directly under the nuclear power plant near Southport! In 1886 there was a really bad earthquake that tore up part of Charleston, SC. I don't know if that is the same fault line or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X