a friend needs to sell his 72 chevelle project - with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a friend needs to sell his 72 chevelle project - with pics

Guys - I got a call from a friend that needs to move his project car in the next few weeks, with 3 active kids, and a move coming up - there's just no room for it in his life anymore.

He's had the car a long long time, I'm sure it hasn't seen the street in at least 15 years.

He's asked me if I can help him value it - so - I'm asking you all for your input.

1972 Chevrolet Malibu sport coupe
    350 2 bolt with L48 Saginaw three speed trans
    350 is completely rebuilt still sitting on an engine stand - all new everything - but I have no specs for cam, pistons, heads compression ratio, I know he's got an aluminum intake, some chrome goodies, a new 4 barrel carb, and a new msd distributor, I would be it's a stock rebuild with a bit of a cam, intake, and headers - all the new parts that aren't bolted to the engine are still in thier boxes.

Frame has been off, blasted and painted, all new stainles fuel and brake lines, new springs, shocks, and other suspension / steering parts.

Black original interior

Body has rust in the typical locations - bottom of front fenders behind the wheels, and the lower quarters behind the wheels - patch panels will fix it - no need to replace entire panels.

He has all the original parts that go with the car (2 barrel intake carb air cleaner, wheels, extra steering wheel, etc)

I realize this isn't too much to go on - I hope to add pictures soon.

So - give me a ball park figure of what you'd be willing to pay for such a beast - and - if you are serious about acquiring this thing - PM me - I will help facilitate the sale in any way I can - the car is in the Detroit area.

Here's more info and a link to pictures:
    1972 Chevelle Malibu 2 Door Sport Coupe
    350 Engine 3 Speed Manual Floor Shift Transmission restoration car (Original Owner).
    The frame and underbody restoration are complete including new body mounts, stainless steel brakelines, stainless steel fuel lines, and even the fuel tank has been cleaned, sealed, and tested.
    Converted front drums to disc brakes with brand new master cylinder.
    Has a Holly Carburetor, Holly Intake with a Crane Cam 480lift/480 Exhaust 282 Duration cam with hydraulic lifters, starter motor and water pump.
    Have many new high performance parts still in the box: MSD Ignition, distributor, Fuel Pump, Heater Core, SS steering wheel, interior door panel, and more.
    Plus It comes with a 4 Volume Set Parts and Accessory catalog listing every detail, Assembly Manual, Electrical Manual, Fisher Body Manual, Overhaul Manual, Service Manual, 2009 Parts Catalogs for ordering replacement parts. I also have the original hub caps, intake, ?original wheels, valve covers, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds and other items.
    Since I no longer have a need for the engine stand I will also add it to the list.

Pictures:

There's always something new to learn.

Re: a friend needs to sell his 72 chevelle project - with pics

Looks like a great project. It's got to be a heartbreaker to let that go. The way I do these is I'd pay about $15K for it, put it together, paint it, etc. and then sell it for $10K. I lose a bit on each car but make it up on the volume.

Sorry - I'm no good at the estimation part

Dan

Comment

I'm sorry, John; I'm not very much help either. But it sounds close to what I bought 2 years ago - a 73 Monte Carlo project that was 98% finished and put back together already, but with a built 454, new transmission, new suspension, brakes and shocks, original mint black interior, repaint and new vinyl roof, and everything absolutely rust-free (car from Arizona), with 95,000 miles. I paid $4700 for the Monte. I understand that Chevelles command a higher value on the market, but I can't say what your friend should ask for his car or estimate what he'll get. Good luck to him on the sale; I know it's hard.
      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

If I wasnt doing the 65 right now I would come down and pick it up. Been lookin for some chevys to build for income projects rather than keepers.

Comment

Low ball of $3500, might get $5500 off ebay from a crazy bidder?

Comment

5-6K sounds reasonable, would be
            worth considerably more if assembled.

I wish I had money...

Comment

Here are some that I found...maybe it will give you an idea of whats out there...I would guess between 5 and 6.5K because it is apart...but that is just me...my thoughts on what htings are worth are sometimes skewed...this coming from the guy who dropped 3K for his POS Plymouth

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Guys I am pretty confident he would take less than 5k for it - especially if it could be done quickly - tell your gear head buddies - this is a one owner car that's been in the same family since new - not a super valuable piece by vin code or option list but a rare opportunity to get something this complete - and with a lot of the work already done... especially for a body man - this would be a pretty easy fix up and sell or keep project.

I hope we can find this thing a good home.....
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Stop teasing me! Hopefully someone can step up.

Comment

Damn, my dad bought a Chevelle optioned exactly the same in '72. I wish I had the cash, I'd be all nostalgic on that thing.
                    Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                      Guys I am pretty confident he would take less than 5k for it - especially if it could be done quickly - tell your gear head buddies - this is a one owner car that's been in the same family since new - not a super valuable piece by vin code or option list but a rare opportunity to get something this complete - and with a lot of the work already done... especially for a body man - this would be a pretty easy fix up and sell or keep project.

I hope we can find this thing a good home.....
                      tell him to put it up on team chevelle.com
                      the ad is free. and people into velles will pay a little more..
                      but it in parts.. and not running 3500 tops..
                      as it's just a malbu.. with a 3 speed..
                      sorry.. maybe someone will pay more.. but not a big pool of buyers right now..
                      and it's not a roller.. and buyer into that car will be looking at hotrodding it not factory correct..
                      he might get 5k if he has alot of new g.m. parts..
                      I payed 800.oo for my chevelle in boxes..
                      he might be better off. selling the rebuilt engine alone and the car as a roller..
                      as a matching # will not really matter here..
                      any type of bodywork needed other than bolting it back together will drop the price as you can but running 72's needing rust work and a sbc for 2500.oo

Comment

I wish I had more to offer right now, but with Meri out of work since christmas I don't have the budget to get it. I would much rather have that car then my camaro. He could even keep the motor. I would drop my 454 in that thing in a minute.
                        Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Working...
                        X