More Street Racing Stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Street Racing Stupidity

On the 6:00 local news this evening out of Chattanooga, idiots have found a new way to have fun.....

There are some long straightaways on 1-75 north of Chattanooga. So, these fools in question are lining up side by side, going 10 mph to back traffic up behind them and let the leading traffic get away. When the road is clear ahead of them, they get on it and race to top end.

Idiots. The TV story was actually well done - the point being there are drag strips all over here where they can do that and not risk everybody else's lives. And naturally the cops are pissed. Seems no arrests yet, as it is a new tactic and the cops are not sitting there waiting for it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: More Street Racing Stupidity

haha, yea seen that happen and been into some of that before its is pretty stupid, its been going on for awhile in charlotte of 4-85, the cops would show up in charlotte mostly undercover, and as well in hickory, but that was light to light racing, rarely did we get on I-40 and race to many staties. I got some storys in some mustangs.

Comment

at least they blocked traffic...right groucho :-X

Comment

They got busted. Apparently they put it on youtube, and the police were there for the next race.

"CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) -- Chattanooga police say they caught four men drag racing on Interstate 75 and videotape helped investigators make their case.

In December, investigators first got word of the loosely organized illegal street racing event that occurred on the interstate in Chattanooga during the night. This race involved several heavily modified cars drag racing on I-75 near Hamilton Place Mall. Several people standing along the concrete barrier next to the interstate videoed the races that reach speeds well in excess of 100 MPH. Some of that video was later posted on the Internet.

Officers then got word that more racing would happen on Friday night in the same location. Using unmarked vehicles and video cameras, traffic investigators set up a sting to record the racing. The four vehicles were video taped racing on Highway 153 to I-75.

Police say the racers slowed the traffic behind them to a crawl then accelerated to speeds in excess of 100 MPH before leaving the interstate."

I haven't been able to come up with the video so far, but talk about some Darwin candidates :D.
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Alrighty Matt - good job on the reporting! Hadn't heard the end of that one. That's the best way it could come out.

Idiots.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

At least when we went out for bragging rights or whatever it was to a deserted stretch of two lane in the middle of nowhere early AM when nobody else was up. The Sheriff got smart a few years back and instead of using the radios they used cell phones and caught a couple guys, put a damper on the rest who didnt get caught. I had stopped being stupid years before so it didnt bother me. We raced like that because there was only one track within 250 miles and it was only open two weekends a month in the summer. I stopped when my car started running 11s, things happen way to fast on a narrow road late at night.

In Kuwait City there are kids who race either direction on the 7th ring road. Its 3 or 4 lanes and usually low traffic at night. They race one way, then turn around and race back. I got passed twice in the Suburban the AF had for us, one way then the other, and its sorta strange seeing headlights coming at you in both lanes on either side of yours. The stupid is not limited to people here, its everywhere.

Comment

Hey Thumpin' what is there way up there for strips? I'll be going to tech next year and just wonder if there is anything to do in the week of summer.

Comment

Working...
              X