just got back from Barrett Jackson...and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got back from Barrett Jackson...and

Well, this was my sixth year in a row of attendance and I was moderately unimpressed. Yes they have the usual super rare, disgustingly low mileage rides that people tend to swarm around but those cars never have done "it" for me. I am in the never ending search of cars that can still make me think to myself "now that's cool!"....and it happens less and less. Then again I am a hot rodder at heart and Barrett Jackson isn't so much a hot rod scene as it is a collector scene.

So out of the sea of several hundred thousand dollar cars here are the two vehicles that made me stop stare. The first wasn't even on display. This was a rig that I actually saw pull up pulling the Reliable Carriers trailer and then drop the frame on the ground via air bags. I'm sorry but seeing a stretched and chopped Peterbilt pulling a legit trailer drop to the ground gives me a smile that takes several minutes to wear off. It was absolutely bitchin'

The second was this '28 Ford that was actually catching a lot of attention. Nothing "never done" here before but the builder just got it right in my opinion. I love the big snarling Hemi with race pipes, the Coker white walls on original wires, and I was all about the color. Just an awesome looking ride that really comes together beautifully. I would have loved to get some better pics but they really pack these things in tight. All I know is that I am stealing the color scheme for my 69 Triumph chop.

www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Re: just got back from Barrett Jackson...and

Man, the chopped Pete is the shit!! I love the front fenders on that thing.

Are you sure those wheels on the '28 are original? They almost look TOO narrow with those whitewalls. Not that I don't like the way it looks, I TOTALLY dig it, they just look narrower than stock.

Comment

LOVE the Pete! That thing is awesome.

Not a huge fan of the narrow ass wheel/tire package on the rod.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Both are very cool.

I don't know that I could call a rod finished with the transmission exposed to the interior tho, judging by the craftsmanship of the rest of the car - it seems they ran out of time to build a proper tunnel to cover it....

I didn't know the foot well was so tight on those things either.

The color is way cool, and I like the monochrome industrial grey treatment on the engine.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep they are original wires. The tires do appear to be narrower then stock and they are tall bias ply's so that gives the narrow look. It's a love it or hate it look (for example my brother hated it) but I just really like the stance.

The exposed trans is intentional I'm sure. It's been an increasing trend the past couple years. Hot Rod's cover car last month even ran an exposed trans. I would be lying if I said I didn't have visions of catastrophic things happening though.

I look at severely channeled and slammed rods like this as more like riding a motorcycle then driving a car...so I can overlook things like the foot wells being a little tight (which I agree they are).
          www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

Here's a couple of pictures of what I believe is the same Pete Cruisin at Woodward in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

I don't know that I could call a rod finished with the transmission exposed to the interior tho, judging by the craftsmanship of the rest of the car - it seems they ran out of time to build a proper tunnel to cover it....
              The trans is hilarious--here he makes the car mostly period correct (wheels, engine, etc) and hangs a TH350 out where everyone can see it! the car should have 3 pedals and a 39 ford trans, then it would look fine exposed

colors don't do much for me either, traditional bright colors on a hemi are the way to go

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Skratch needs to stripe the trans...although Jim, you're right. A period piece would be better (especially if it were under the floor)

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If it were under the floor it wouldn't be so funny

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

cool stuff..

I heard that it was raining in buckets and a tornado hit the ground 8 miles away (a friend is down there for a car show/golf tournament - both of which canceled because of the weather). Why is it, that I have this perverse wish that it had hit the BJ tent? ;)
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                    X