Jet-Powered Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet-Powered Bug

I got an email from a website contributor today. Some real smart (and rich) engineer-type put a helicopter jet engine on the back of a late-model VW Beetle. The email by itself is huge - so many detailed photos and lots and lots of text describing how he did it.

It's too big for me (and truthfully, over my head technically). It would take hours for me to get it from email format to where I could post here (so many photos, and so much text).

But I think y'all would find it interesting from a technical standpoint. If you PM me your email addy, I'll be glad to forward the original email to you. With the hope that one of you (if you are amazed as much by it as I am) will have the time and patience to put it together in such a fashion as to post it here.

I'll sit here and wait and forward it for a while to whoever wants it, maybe an hour, before I go do something else. And somebody has to volunteer to post it, if you think it's worth posting. Man, that's a lot of posting work. But what an amazing project this guy undertook.....

peewee
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Jet-Powered Bug

How many rolls of duct tape did THAT take??!! Red Green would be proud (even though it sounds like he really did it right).

Dan

Comment

PeeWee, this has been around for a few years...

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Oh. Sorry. First time I'd seen it. My bad.

I'll crawl away now. Again. Dang. Dadgummit.

Comment

Yes, I HAVE seen that. Cool while not new.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
            Oh. Sorry. First time I'd seen it. My bad.

I'll crawl away now. Again. Dang. Dadgummit.
            No worries, just save a lot of copy and paste time trying to post all those photos! :D

Comment

I can even change the subject - On the Chattanooga 5:00 news a real bad mom forced her kid to kill the hamster with a with a hammer because of a bad report card. True story, according to the TV.

Charges have been filed and the mom has been arrested.

RE jet bug, Someday I have to learn how to research things better before I post them. No, not "learn" but "remember." I always get excited and forget to research.

Comment

on the topic of bugs (looks like it got run over by a jet) .... saw this on another site, not really sure what to think about it ??? got any good captions?

Comment

Godalmighty!!!! If my eyes serve me well, and they seldom do, those are 48 IDA Weber carbs and Gene Berg headers.....sorry, I just had an orgasm......

But how does anybody even as small as me fit into that thing to drive it?

Comment

Caption:

OUCH!!!!

Dan

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that engine setup....I think I'm gonna cry.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianzed
                        on the topic of bugs (looks like it got run over by a jet) .... saw this on another site, not really sure what to think about it ??? got any good captions?
                        Is that one of those new ride on toys my kids are always talking about? ;D

Comment

Makes that VW engine look HUGE!
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The power plant on the back of that thing in the photo looks physically exactly like the one I had in my Bug. I can name the parts.

I'm not in any way a mechanic or a car guy, never will be. But a lot of the stuff was bolt-on.

You could go from a 40-horse VW engine to 150 HP. You DO have to bust the block open and add a stroker crank and cam and bigger piston cans (no, I didn't do that, don't know how).

No, it's not what you REAL hot rod guys play with, but in the case of the Bug, it was horsepower to weight ratio. Triple the horsepower, and it'll pull the front wheels off of the ground coming out of the hole.

It was all a lot of fun. We called everything else besides Bugs, "Water Pumpers."

Ahhhhhhh..... those were the days. Youth is wasted on the young.

Comment

Quick bugs are hella awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X