Simpler Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpler Times

I bring to you yet another part from yesteryear. This is an oil/vacuum pump from a 1929 Plymouth. In the era that this was used, they had the idea that they could incorporate a vacuum pump in conjunction with the oil pump. With the use of a 90 degree street elbow and a strategically placed fitting on the bend, the oil being forced to turn the corner would create a vacuum at the other fitting. It wouldn't suck the chrome off a trailer ball, but it was enough to operate any vacuum accessories that needed it.

These pumps utilize two opposing hardened paddles separated by two rather tiny springs to keep the paddles in contact with the outside of the bore. They ride in a slot in the center shaft that is placed off center in the bore. The wear that happens is on the sides of the paddles, and the springs become weak over a period of time. Dirty oil only adds to the entire mess wearing out prematurely. The oiling system on these engines had a valve that would enable the car owner or mechanic, to increase the pressure as the bearing clearances started to increase. It is important for the mechanic to remember to put the pressure back after having one of these pumps rebuilt. They are capable of producing some pretty high pressure, to the point of blowing the oil pressure gage right out of the dashboard if this is forgotten. I think I've mentioned this once before.

This particular one had a few issues going on. One is the obvious wear to the paddles and springs, the other had to do with the pump body wearing so much to one side, it actually turned the part that the shaft is in, to go egg-shaped. Seeing as how spare pumps for this engine are totally non-existent, I had to bore the body out, and also turn the shaft down and press a sleeve onto it to bring it back to the original size.

With that said, here are the pictures of this cute little thing.

Old paddle assembly.

The new paddle assembly.

The top cover was badly worn due to the shaft being out of round. With the paddles being hardened, they just dug their way into the cover. In order to make it perfectly flat again, it had to be done on the surface grinder. With the opposite side of the cover starting out as rough casting, I had to do something about that. Two flats were ground where the bolts would normally go. Now I had an area that I knew was perfectly flat that I could place two shim blocks under to be able to grind the other side.

The body.

This is the shaft after it got it's new sleeve and oil groove.

All done!

Re: Simpler Times

nice....
    my dad has a '26 dodge
    that one day...
    billy steavens has or had a nice 1914 touring car (red and black) dad painted a few times..
    it's amazing the way they solved issues back then..

Comment

That 1914 Dodge that Bill Stevens has came from our back yard.

Comment

small world..
        you gonna be at the BSAAC show in dedham

Comment

Mike, I don't even have the right words to describe your posts, they're a combination of Interest, Amazement and straight aaaaahhhhhh. Thanks again for sharing.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
            small world..
            At this point in time, I have to say that I will not be there. I can absolutely say that the car won't.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
              Mike, I don't even have the right words to describe your posts, they're a combination of Interest, Amazement and straight aaaaahhhhhh. Thanks again for sharing.
              Thanks, there are times when I feel the same way. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-Casella
                Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                small world..
                At this point in time, I have to say that I will not be there. I can absolutely say that the car won't.
                u'r at now and then correct

Comment

Then And Now, yes.

Comment

interesting.

That may be the trochoid oil pumps "grand dad"?

The trochoid is most nown around furnace pumps etc. I am not sure if aviation came first or not. gigantic pumper. several reliefs just at the pump, and most blocks have several more in the engine if they have a trochoid.
                    25 years at a time, is not even unusual..and then they could reverse the trochoid to gain another tolerance..and go at it again. Amazing simply.
                    To simpler times indeed...the strongest.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-Casella
                      Then And Now, yes.
                      dyslexic :P

Comment

:D No problem, we get that all the time. If you ever stop by the store, we have a photo album on the counter that I started years ago, it has copies of some of the address labels that we've taken off packages that came in. Some of them are hilarious. "Yen Anne Now" "Ben And Al's" ect.

Comment

The name of the store if fitting.

Then it was your money and now it is their money. :D
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

dink

Comment

HA!
                              That which you manifest is before you.