4800hp on alcohol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4800hp on alcohol...

Who knew you could put a set of spark plugs in a diesel engine (Dt466), stroke it, and crank up the boost with three turbos? It's insane what some of those pullers do.....

video:

I dig the idle after he blows it up...sounds mean.

Re: 4800hp on alcohol...

I did. We did a DT466B that way at EPA years ago. The Big Boss was trying to make it run on Methanol. We tried glow plugs and a bunch of other stuff, and never could get it to fire (you can't squeeze methanol enough to make it compression ignite). So I took up the challenge and installed a set of spark plugs and a Ford industrial six cylinder distributor, belt driven off the crank nose. It ran and made some power (I forget how much). The BB was all happy and smiling. I had to break it to him that we STILL had not made a Diesel run on methanol - with timed spark, it's a VHC (very high compression) Otto-cycle with DI fuel injection. Should have heard him ramble on justifying how it was still a Diesel - alas, it was not.

Dan

Comment

Re: 4800hp on alcohol...

How do they know the engines make 4800HP apiece? I mean, what dyno logged that?

8 horsepower per cubic inch out of something with such a long stroke?

It's definitely awesome, and I am a huge fan of the tractor pulling crowd - but something doesn't make sense with those numbers to me.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
      X