Re: How would YOU do a 292?

0-55 in half a second. that's all she wrote
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

all this talk
      but
      have you even done a compression test and a leak down test..
      it might be fine.. and not need anything.. other than upgrades you want..
      like floors... plexglass would alow you to see the stuff you run over..

Comment

Have you seen the "Blow-by Bottle" on this thing?
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Randal, I think he missed that.
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian,I have a 92 ford with 80 thousand miles on it.Motor is straight six,300,fuel injected and the rear end is good.
            Trans is out,but you could have the whole thing for cheap.say 750.
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Stand back, boys. Grandan is gonna tell ya how the cow ate the corn (whatever THAT means).

Seein' as how I actually have DONE a 250, and recently......
              - Obviously, do the teardown and see what you have.
              - It'll probably need a bit of a rebore (the blocks are pretty sturdy with lots of nickel but after all those years.....)
              - Before assembly fit a piston and see where it sits in the hole. My first engine had 'em about 0.030/0.040 down. - - - Deck the block for zero clearance. Most combustion chambers are too big - and they come in all sizes.
              - Just clean up the head. They'll crack if milled too much. I have the head to prove this.
              - Don't worry about the exhaust valve size too much. If they're sunk in the head go to the next available oversize.
              - Don't exceed 2.02 on the intake. In reality, you won't need that much - 1.94's are plenty.
              - Just clean up the ports - I think Leo has some guidelines in the book.
              - I got SS valves on Ebay - John has 'em now but they looked good - and cheap. Same for springs. Yes, SBC stuff fits.
              - A later HEI distributor works fine. I have a Davis/Perf. Dist, but a stocker should be good for you. Junkyard!
              - I'd get an Offy or Clifford 4 barrel intake. They turn up on Ebay from time to time. Santucci says to heat them for street driving but mine's OK once the engine's warm. A 600 Holley should be fine on a 292.
              - Call Delta for the cam. They are cheap and both of mine are great and durable - even with flat tappets.
              - Follow the usual careful assembly practices and tune-up stuff

Difference between a 292 and a 250: The 292 is 1.75 (about) taller and the distributor is in the middle of the block (all the displacement difference comes from the stroke). 250 distributor is in the front. Almost everything interchanges except the side covers, crank, and rods and some bits like pushrods. I have some extra heads, some of which may have smaller combustion chambers. Measure yours when you get it apart and I'll see if I have something better. I've had a heck of a time getting my Hooker headers to seal - I'd go with the Langdon's for a street engine. I wouldn't think you would want to mess with lump port head for your purposes - just clean up the stock ports. Consider valve seat inserts given today's gas. I'm running race fuel so it doesn't matter. I also have a spare copy of the Santucci book. I'll bring it to Maxton if you're coming.

Have fun!
              Dan

Comment

Danny speak-ith the truth,Brian. ~J/W.

Comment

292s have a certain romance to them.... a long, slow, gear grinding, teeth gnashing romance. If you can keep the exhaust manifold sealed, and you don't get a cold air leak to the center exhaust valve (cracks them nicely) you still have a motor that is diesel slow and BBC fuel efficient.
                  To fix the 292 problems, do what I did to an old landcruiser. Remove the air cleaner - swap in a 350 - put air cleaner back on the truck..... you'll have better mileage, better reliability, cheaper repair bills, more hp and a V8.....other then those reasons, there's no reason to mess with the 292 other than it's still installed in the truck.
                  ;D

oh yeah, and with the 292 build a bugatti style racer out of it.... or use it to anchor a fishing fleet. ;D
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hey,that's not nice,Buick-Guy! Now you've forced me to carry out my(well,one them anyway's....)plan to swap in one of my 230's(I've got a BUNCH of Chevy-Sixes. And Ford/Mopar/and AMC Sixes...)into my real-deal '68 Z-28(it has no Engine anyway...)....as a WARNING ;D. And if that's not enough,I've got a bunch of real-deal GS-455's that don't *really 'need'* those 'Cinderblock' 455's in them,I've got all Spring & Summer to unbolt all that deadweight. "GS 230/250?" I LIKE the sound of THAT 8) ;D! ~J/W.

Comment

a note - I don't care what you do to your "car" .... oh wait, didn't you say that if you didn't post pictures of your cars by the new year that you'd do something drastic?

???

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Maybe someone should set up a "JW camera" fund lol.

Comment

I would do the 292 as a DeSoto Hemi!

I got a crank if you need one...

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
                            I would do the 292 as a DeSoto Hemi!

I got a crank if you need one...
                            I got a crank heads and block
                            lol

Comment