Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EFI Nascar : How Does this Fix ANYTHING ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI Nascar : How Does this Fix ANYTHING ?

this should just fill up those empty seats
    NASCAR shooting to implement fuel injection in 2011: By the time the 2011 racing season gets under way, the only place to find a carburetor in the Sprint Cup Series might be in NASCAR's Hall of Fame. Officials said today that they hope to replace carburetors with fuel injection, and have been testing potential systems with an eye toward making the change as soon as possible. "We are in the process of the development and the testing and have been for probably six or eight months," " said Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition for NASCAR. The easy part is to just build the fuel injection system. The thing that we need to put into play is how are we going to regulate it, and what's going to be fair for everybody?" NASCAR is one of the only racing organizations that continues to use carburetors in its series. Fuel injection is a more accurate, and efficient, way of delivering fuel into the engine. It has been around since the 1950s and has been in place on all passenger cars in the United States since the late 1980s. Pemberton said some Cup teams have already been developing and working with systems with the expectation that such a move would eventually be made. Some teams, Pemberton said, "do have track time & on their early production or early prototype fuel injection system. "So our goal is to shoot for 2011," he said. "I think that's pretty aggressive. "We are pushing hard.

but the cold start driveability will be incredible

Re: EFI Nascar : How Does this Fix ANYTHING ?

I agree it "fixes" nothing, but in terms of manufacturer support, they are having to do this to keep OEM money coming. At least saying that they have EFI, even if it is nothing like the passenger car setup, it is one step closer to being "closer" to a "real car"....with a motor that is nothing like a production engine.

These guys could run with carbs until the end of time, but NASCAR doesn't want the factory teet removed from it's mouth.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

A step closer production engines is a step in the right direction in my book. Keep the hope alive that NASCAR may some day have engines in them that have parts that can be bolted to a fresh off the show room floor engine.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It would be honestly bitchin' to see the LS motors taking on the OHC Fords on the speedways. If Chryco has the money, throw them and the pent-roof Hemi in for kicks (although I think they'd get smoked). Toyota? Their 4.7 motor would be the option.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

a carb in the hall of fame or out on the street, it is still hall of fame.

injection will work for the stable rpms nascar does, I wonder if it will be downdraft timing or that sloppy delay EFI runners ignore until brain damaged.

I read they will be making nascar a bit more fun sometime soon, a little faster, bumping, and oh no that classic hall of fame word like a craburator: drafting closely in tight tolerances.

Oh the precision..

fuel injection, it isn't even for kids, it isn't for anybody. I don't care what it's age is. You got problems with carbs? put the wrenches down, you hate your engine and facts too. you aren't a mechanic, nor a driver, and I bet you like inline fours... :-X
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I like carbs, and I like EFI, they both have there place, my 65 just wouldnt be the same with EFI and I am glad my 5.4 Ford has EFI. But in reality if Nascar Cup Cars had EFI who would know? Would it matter to anybody other than us?
            Would it matter to the Cup fan who just has been watching for the last 2 years because his favorite liquor is on a car?
            Nascar is after the new fan ages 18(21)-34, not us, the ones who remember N. Wilkesboro or Rockingham.

Comment

Go ahead and add EFI its just one more nail in the NASCAR coffin.
              They already race bodies you can't buy a production car at the dealer in.
              And there are no heros, JRs a flop.
              You want excitement, watch Pro wraslin, you want boroing and time to vacuum the floor and do the dishes, watch Nascar.

Comment

and the first wreck that takes out a fuel line with that high presure pump pump'n away as the guys knocked senseless
                and turns into a fireball and no one can get to it cause it's still pumping out fuel..
                that will end it..sadly someones gonna need to die first..
                and before MR EFI blast in..
                d/g no other motorsport types have the big crashes that nascar races have...
                f1 nope /indy nope
                this is not gonna go down well. if on a superspeedway they have the big one and a fuel line pops..
                cause those take out enough cars to leave a f1 or indy car field with nothing on the track..

Comment

This is for Spidy

Toyota probably instigated this initiative so that they use their already developed and tested "drive by wire" systems. :o

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                    and the first wreck that takes out a fuel line with that high presure pump pump'n away as the guys knocked senseless
                    and turns into a fireball and no one can get to it cause it's still pumping out fuel..
                    that will end it..sadly someones gonna need to die first..
                    and before MR EFI blast in..
                    d/g no other motorsport types have the big crashes that nascar races have...
                    f1 nope /indy nope
                    this is not gonna go down well. if on a superspeedway they have the big one and a fuel line pops..
                    cause those take out enough cars to leave a f1 or indy car field with nothing on the track..

OEMs have proven thousands of times over, in a LOT more crashes than NASCAR, that closed-to-atmosphere fuel systems are a hell of a lot safer than a carb which exposes fuel to atmosphere. For crying out loud, there's a float bowl in a carb'd car! - all you have to do is get a little upset and you're spilling fuel uncontrollably out of a carb. With EFI, the standard safety measure is this: no rpm, no power to the fuel pump. It's saved thousands of lives in the past 20 years, and your opinion doesn't change fact. EFI is a ton safer than a carb'd engine, there's no question.

The good thing for the teams, is there will be less "Rich guys go faster" going on - EFI levels the playing field. For those of you inexperienced with EFI, don't think that there are "unfair advantages" in an EFI system - there are far more tricks in getting a carb to make power, than an EFI engine. This is a plus for all the lower budget teams. No way is an EFI system more expensive for them than the money the top teams spend on their carburetion - not even close. EFI makes racing more cost effective for these guys.

ANd, I know that some people don't care, but most of the cup engines I've heard run, run like shit at part throttle. You'll know the teams that can tune by how much better the engines will pass through their reversion points, etc. I realize people love their carbs here, and they have their place, but their time has come and gone in NASCAR. I'm glad to see them stepping it up!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

NASCAR has seen it's time
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Will this also improve fuel economy? I would think so.
                        That my be a marketing angle nascar is after as well ???

Comment

I think it will eventually be good thing for the average hot rodder because of trickle-down tech. It will legitimize EFI in some respects as being true 'hot rod' components becasue it will more than likely be implemented at the other levels of the NASCAR racing structure.

I will jump up and down when the first MS injected car wins a race. lol

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger

I will jump up and down when the first MS injected car wins a race. lol
                            I'm totally excited to see what systems they use. There's no benefit to using MS since there's no "Megasquirt Company" per se, but I betcha a thousand bucks they won't be using BS3, FAST, or DFI.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                              I Toyota? Their 4.7 motor would be the option.
                              Would that include the auto pilot automatic stuck open accelerator? ??? ;) ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X