Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was just a real , REAL bad idea from the start

I found these pics on line and remembered the story , Tim mcvay took them

It was about 1979-80 or so ( the chevettes are new? ) local Sioux Falls , South Dakota "stunt" man ..

TRIED to jump like 40 Chevettes ? I beleive the idea was fro the chute to pull him off the bike and float safely to the ground while the bike made the distance to complete his contract ?

Here is the good part, he made a deal with the sales mgr of Frank Stinson Chevrolet to borrow the cars, and they were not covered under insurance !

Here is "Jumpin John Holland" :

sigpic

Re: It was just a real , REAL bad idea from the start

The "stunt" bike ..

sigpic

Comment

And ...... HE IS OFF !!

sigpic

Comment

It was about here when I turned to my friend and said, this isn't going to end well ..

sigpic

Comment

Gonna be ...just a bit short

sigpic

Comment

Most of the damage here is from his body cartwheeling between the cars .. horrible

sigpic

Comment

He had countless broken bones, cuts, etc. .. but, believe it or not ? He lived ..

sigpic

Comment

Looks like mostly new ones, a few olders ones mixed in for fun. 79 and older had metal bumpers, no chin spoiler, 80 up had plastic bumpers and the spoiler. the cars with front tags look like used cars, the rest are new.

Neat pics, thanks!
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Then a few years later ..

He was to jump a gravel pit just north of Sioux Falls with a snowmobile using the same method, he felt he had figured it out ?

Whaaaaatttt ? really ..

Last minute, he found a moment of sanity and backed out , some drunk fro mthe crowd had just enough beer so he said
                  I'LL GO !!! ..

WELLLLLLL, It did work better, chute pulled the guy off about 100 feet in the air, he landed so hard he broke both legs

:D

people are crazy
                  sigpic

Comment

The bike even had a "budlight" sticker on it, what could go wrong?
                    I just saw a shuvette plowing thru 6 inches of snow yesterday, it looked brand new!

Comment

Great chute attaching method.

Comment

look a "motorbike"

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Looks like mostly new ones, a few olders ones mixed in for fun. 79 and older had metal bumpers, no chin spoiler, 80 up had plastic bumpers and the spoiler. the cars with front tags look like used cars, the rest are new.

Neat pics, thanks!
                          I was going to mention the years a bit off. I owned an 81, it looked nothing like these in photo.

Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Bad 'idea'? The organisers of this event,should be shot. Did ANYBODY back then take notice as to HOW CLOSE those Telephone Poles were to the 'jump zone'? That Trailer didin't even have a 'real' incline(or 'pitch'...)to it...no wonder He didin't get much 'air' :P! Seems the whole setup was just placed on the far side of the Lot,near those Poles. ~J/W.

Comment

Ok, I missed the 1970's, but from all the stuff I have seen and read, it seems like the decade was chocked full of lunatics attempting crap like this.

Maybe not tomorrow, but this thread and those photos WILL be on the blog.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X