Fast Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fast Diesels

diesels are excellent powerhouses. but expensive...
    A Huge custom 4 linked Ford Superduty on 49" Irok tires doing a mild burnout. This truck has 25" of lift and a 6.0L PSD with some modifications including MBR...

but I agree. to sip gas @ 70 mph on the highway diesels the way to go.
    here's a wicked truck with a cummins.

and i'd rather be cummin' than strokin'

Comment

I'm kind of a Diesel fan, but the carbon footprint isn't the only issue w/Diesels. The biggest thing is that the Particulate Matter (PM in the trade) is accompanied by a thing called non-particulate bound organics, which are highly carcinogenic. Remove the PM and you remove the NPBO. Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filters are capable of removing nearly all PM, as well as the small amount of unburned hydrocarbons and CO, and make the vehicle a real environmental winner. They are self-regenerating and require no maintenance (although like any cat, they could eventually fail). This leaves NOx, which Diesels make in abundance. There is now an aftertreatment available for NOx, and this is what's fitted on 2007 and newer Diesels. VW will be marketing a vehicle here in the US, I think for 2008, and I suspect MB will follow soon.

The European cars use a different technology for NOx control, which requires the NOx cat to be regenerated at the dealer periodically. EPA determined that US drivers wouldn't do this, given that the manufacturers can't even get people to come in for oil changes. So that's why they are available in Europe but not here. As Pete mentioned, the driving experience is quite different, but they do work pretty well. For racing, the aftertreatment systems would no doubt be removed and a series of modification applied, just like any other engine.

All this said, I'd love to build a small displacement Diesel in a mini pickup for LSR. Anybody have an engine (I'll steal Terry's LUV truck!).

Later
      Dan

Originally posted by Dans 83
      I've got some freinds that work for a VW dealer and they have worked on some pretty impressive little four banger deisels... The only problem is that by law you can't purchase a deisel passenger car in NY. Uneducated tree hugger law! I don't have any scientific proof but I would be willing to bet that a deisel vehical would leave a smaller carbon footprint than a gasoline vehical of the same type when you consider power output, refining process, ect...

Comment

Thanks Dan... I didn't know about PM's or NOx, now I have some research to do!!!

Comment

I just saw a video of the 65 Impala, with the Duramax,its COOL as Hell.
          If its Modified, Hotrodded, whatever powers it, makes no matter.

Comment

I know a couple kids with quick diesel pickups, Duramax and Cummins. And the little blurb in one of the mags (forget which one) this month of the Duramax pulling a skidloader that went 11's really got me thinking.

I'm envisioning a 4-cyl diesel from a John Deere in my Malibu. The best of everything, Chevy and John Deere! ;D There's a farmer in our neighborhood that put a JD 4-cyl in his S-10 and cranked the boost up. It runs pretty good. ANyway, I think it would be great to go quick and get great fuel mileage, and it seems the best way to do that is with a diesel. And its different.

Also, with lower RPMs, those motors last a long time. The only thing that will kill them is too much boost. RPM doesn't always mean quick... there's a fella that shows up at the track most Friday nights in an RX-7 with a rotary he spins to 16k, and he can barely get it to go in the 13's. But then, there's another guy that does wheelstands and goes 8's with his rotary. It's all about who's turning the wrenches.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The Money one has to spend to get a diesel fast, you could build a potent Small Block or Big Block Chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Honestly what does a redline matter if its 10 rpm or 10,000, 1000+ ft lbs of torque and 20mpg is a win win situation.
                I generally agree with all you say but that just ain't right. compare 1000 ft/lbs at 10 rpm vs 10,000 rpm, eh?

But there are some FAST trucks around here that like to huff the juice. On the street they are real fast considering they haul cars to the track and cattle to the sale barn. One is faster than a buddies nitrous LS1 camaro (his car went 12.3 @118 I think, super MPH, needs some tires this spring)...anyways for trucks they can be fast.

Comment

the 7.3 power strokes were ok to work on but the 6.0 sucked. and the new 6.4 are a nightmare to work on!
                  Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

This is what happens when Gail Banks plays with diesel power:
                    While testing out our latest transmission mods at the dragstrip we ended up with our best run ever... and became the first diesel drag truck in the 7's! 7.96...

Comment

I'm lukewarm on the Powerstroke (Navistar, or International - they keep changing the name of the company). I haven't messed with the Isuzu in the Chevy, but the Dodge Cummins ISB is a tank. They run forever and take almost infinite abuse - you wouldn't believe what we did to those things on the dyno - repeatedly.

We ran a JD 3 cylinder, commonly used in wood chippers. That sucker would break driveshafts like nothing you ever saw. Our electronics guy finally slowed down the dyno response time and that did it. It was sending impulses out of sync with the dyno's ability to read and adjust.

I've got a million stories.......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X