Who here is a Tri-Five expert??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here is a Tri-Five expert??

So I'm going to look at a '56 2dr hardtop that is supposed to be a Bel Air. Are there any certain areas I need to pay special attention too? I know it has non original front seats, but is there a way to tell if the rear seat is correct? If it follows me home I'll post up some pics.

Re: Who here is a Tri-Five expert??

rear seat from a sedan won't fit a hardtop very well. The inner quarter panel upholstery panels are wider in a hardtop because of the bracing behind the doors.

Most 2dr hardtops were belairs, only a few 210s made. The VIN will tell you what it is, mostly. I think B is 210, C is belair. V in front of the VIN means it's a V8 car, no V means it's a 6. Letter is assembly plant. VIN will be on stainless tag spot welded to driver door jamb, if it is not there, or looks funky (riveted, etc) then be wary of the car.

hopefuly it has the cowl tag, it's aluminum, riveted to the cowl/firewall. Should say STYLE 56-1037D or something if it's a hardtop.

You need to get serious about looking rust on those cars...get under, look at the insides of the rockers, all the floor braces under the car. Look at the trunk closely, around the edges of the wheelwells, the panels in front and behind where the bottom of trunk lid fits (where the latch is). The pass driver floor usually rusts from the heater valve leaking.

Make sure the doors fit the body ok.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Pretty much what Jim said

Look closely underneath at frame and braces
      for rust.
      Trunk area and over top of headlights
      were notorious for rust also.

If you end up getting it and need parts, I'd
      strongly suggest Danchuk.
      I've ordered quite a bit from them and the fit
      and finish is awesome. Prices aren't bad either.

You might visit the Tri 5 Forum......good info over
      there also.

Lookin forward to pics.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Talk about a complete waste of time, the car was so rough I was embarassed to stand next to it. The seller had told me on the phone the body was in good condition and had fresh paint. I'm not sure what he thinks bad is, but I doubt it could even be used for parts, the roof, quarters, trunk, floor, rockers, floor braces and front fenders were all shot. It looked like they got a deal on a 55 gallon barrel of bondo and then tried to save a body that had been pulled from the ocean. I'll try and post some pics in a little while.

Comment

too bad....but usually if there's a hardtop tri 5 for a reasonable price, that's why....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yeah Nik I've been on those trips
            before.
            I've learned to set my expectations way low
            before looking at a potential car now.

If it exceeds them.......I'm way ahead
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
            X