Fall Road Trip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Road Trip...

I started to say "anyone" at the end of that and decided an invasion might not be in our national security interests...

Here's the deal... a few of my pal's want to run off just before winter and frolic a bit through Mexico on our way to Belize ... it's a little English speaking colony on the southern tip of Mexico... Our intention is to take the bikes and go slow... no Bun Burners here... maybe 2-400 miles per day... MAX... and I'm betting some days will be much less... based on consumption...

The idea is to take a week or so to get there and a week or so to get home... Check out some Mayan ruins along the way... Have Tonya meet me down there... in Belize for a few days... ( thereby justifying the entire trip as essential ) ( hell yeah she's going to fly ) so Ultimately it ends up being around a 3 week trip into the wilds of Mexico and Belize... on Scooters and David's Flat Fender Jeep....

I was planning on doing the trip with My F650 BMW single but David's going to try and talk me into taking the 550... we'll see...

Okay guys... dig in... tell us what you know ... why we should or shouldn't do this and what we NEED to know about the trip... anyone been to Belize?

Keith

Re: Fall Road Trip...

When I grow up I want to be Turk ;)
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
      When I grow up I want to be Turk ;)
      I need to get a hold of those books he recommends
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Can I drive? I don't know if these old buns can make a few hundred a day. David's right - the 550 deserves a trip like this one. I'd love to see it make the run. The Beemer is almost too easy. BTW - did you take the 550 to California? You said you were thinking about it.

Dan

Comment

Yes I took it... Great time... really loved riding it out there... well except on the freeway or the side streets...

It actually turns out to be great at running around out there... the weather totally sucked the whole time... so I didn't really get to enjoy it.

K

Comment

Turk,

Belize completely and totally rocks. Been there twice and would love to call it home when I hit the lottery. It's little rough around the edges (kinda like you) but the people kick ass and the weather tops even So Cal.

I can provide details if you're interested.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

See Brian ... that's why we keep you around... you know stuff like this... now how far is it from say Brownsville Texas to Belize? and how do you figure that out? ( map quest didn't seem to be interested in helping )

You also live in Boston... and I know your smart enough to also own SAMSONITE...

Tell us what you know... you dog....

K

Comment

How far is it from Brownsville, TX to Belize?
                Literally a freaking world away. That trip defines the difference between endurance and survival.

Endurance is a test of physical toughness...survival means you are smart enough to live long enough to get there. Since Belize borders Mexico and Guatamala it's a ways down there and I'm willing to bet a large sum that there is no direct route.

Depending on where you go, Belize city has literally ONE traffic light, donated by an American ex-pat at their worst intersection.

There is some neat iron down there though. Lots of 1950's vintage GM stuff like Cuba. The difference being that it is sitting in people's yards as opposed to being band-aided together and driven.

It is a BITCHIN' place.

I arrived there via ship thought...can't speak to the 2 wheeled route.

Brian

Comment

so you were on a Cruise? LOL.... nahhh I'm not saying anything... Well I'm not am I?

Keith ( not been subjected to the pleasures of a cruise so I shouldn't say much about it )

Comment

Hey Turk,

Yeah but it was not one of the "big carriers" (read: Carnival/Norwegian). We sailed to Belize and spent time there (and not like 6 hours....actual time). Can't speak to getting there via land, but the people are awesome, the food it good, and the rain forest is really cool, espcially if you can get your hands on an old Rover and tour some it it youself.

Brian

Comment

How bout a flat fendered jeep and a few old motorcycles?

K

Comment

I'll take shotgun in the Jeep. How much $$ is involved? Do we have to camp (I HATE camping, but would put up with it for this adventure). Anyone speak Spanish? We won't need it in Belize, but on the way it might be useful.

Dan

Comment

A flattie would be kick ass....

Find a trail (have a GPS) and check out the wilderness.

I'd leave the bikes at home for the jungle portion of the adventure.

Brian

Comment

I have relatives there. I wanna go sometime, but homey ain't got 'nuff vacation.
                            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Keith, I think it would be an awesome trip and I say go for it!

Its been a while, but I lived in Mexico City in 1983-84 while in college on a foreign exchange program. I drove my Honda Prelude down so I am very familiar with Highway 57 down to Mexico City and I made the trip from Laredo to Mexico City in about 14 hours several times. The roads in Mexico weren't much then and probably aren't a lot better today, but they aren't terrible, either. If you plan to go down Mexico's east coast you would be on roads I am not personally familiar with, but if you only plan to cover 200 to 400 miles a day you wouldn't be riding at night so it would probably be no problem. I recommend you plan on a lot of 2 lane country roads with lots of slow trucks and buses. If you are OK with that, then you will be fine. There are plenty of interesting things to see from Veracruz all the way down to Belize, far more than you will have time for, so whatever you do it won't be enough. Do be sure to stop in Oaxaca, though, as it is absolutely incredible. Have lunch on the Zocalo and listen to the steel drum band while enjoying adult beverages. It just doesn't get any better than that!

From my experience in Mexico the people are wonderful, the food is great, and the scenery (mountains, beaches, and deserts) breathtaking. About the only negative is you really must be a defensive driver as obeying traffic laws is optional and you don't want to have any kind of accident because you are guilty until proven innocent. Other than that, its all about common sense but I can honestly tell you my year in Mexico was the greatest experience of my life. I encourage you to go if you get the opportunity!

Comment

Working...
                              X