• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?? 375a and 375 turbo hydro trans. anyone know about this

I was on a oldsmobile site last night and a guy had a th 375
    he said it was a weaker th400 (less clutches) but he claimed they
    made a th375A that was a HD th350 (extra clutches) Ive had ALOT of th350's
    and th400's but never saw anything saying they were anything odd.
    Are these just internal differances you wouldnt know about on the
    out side of the case? thanks in advamce, cobey
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Re: ?? 375a and 375 turbo hydro trans. anyone know about this

In the Book,"American Cars-1920-1980"--in the 'Olds' section,sub-listed in the 'Powerteams' section.....,there is a TH-375 mentioned. These were a early/mid-1970's addition. The seem to show up behind B.B. 455's,at least that's what the Book says . ~J/W.

Comment

Had the TH375 in my 1990454SS truck. I believe they started the 4L80 in 1991. Seem to remember the same thing about less clutches or a shorter tailhousing. TH400 parts interchange.

Comment

It's a TH400 with a TH350 output shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
          It's a TH400 with a TH350 output shaft.
          hey chis have you heard of the 375A?

Comment

I don't know what the A means. As I understand it the TH375 was supposed to bolt in the same as a TH350-same driveshaft, crossmember ect.-cna't swear to it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
              I don't know what the A means. As I understand it the TH375 was supposed to bolt in the same as a TH350-same driveshaft, crossmember ect.-cna't swear to it though.

I use to work in a parts dept for a Chevy dealer in the mid 70's. What I seem to recall is basically what you said. Less clutches and a turbo 350 style output shaft & housing. It takes a TH350 drive shaft yoke as I recall. Spidey should know all the facts.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have no clue if this helps with external difference or even model number,

I had a 78 oldsmobile88, 301c.i., with 1,2,D and an "S"..one looooong gear, car came with external transmission cooler, and a hitch...
                and it did not like to hold that diaghram sealed on the right side of the tranny. a heavier steel o-ring finally fixed it...oh and no engine braking, any gear. it simply lt go of all of them, even screaming low1 and let off throttle. odd one.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I've heard of two different flavors, one is a truck trans, the other was used mostly in full size wagons around 1970 or so. I have one of those...has a long tailhousing that says 375 on it, uses 350 yoke, pretty much a normal TH400 other than that.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

76-or 77 was the last year for those
                    like the wagon 10 bolts that took 12 bolt gears ...transitional time for gm , until the putrid 200 4r o/d trans came out in 81 and the mechanics got rich fixing those blunders

Comment

thanks for the info guys :D its good to learn stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        76-or 77 was the last year for those
                        like the wagon 10 bolts that took 12 bolt gears ...transitional time for gm , until the putrid 200 4r o/d trans came out in 81 and the mechanics got rich fixing those blunders

Were you there for the TH200? When I was at the dealer, I remember what a cluster f$ck they were when they came out, in 77 IIRC.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                        X