Just a car guy on a budget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a car guy on a budget

Like the title says... I've been to college but can't find a high paying job to save me. Hopefully by summer's end I'll have a BBC in my 81 coupe. I wrecked my 79 and salvaged what I could, although I had high hopes for her. Sorry, I love the stance on those and the bubble fish bowl glass windows. Laugh all you want but she served her purpose. She is now resting in piece in the Bow Tie in the sky. I don't give a ratsass if she wins any trophys or not. This is my ride and I'll do with what I see fit. Watch out gentlemen, because Caprice number 2 is on the way!
    Have a nice day!

Re: Just a car guy on a budget

Even though I'm a Ford guy, I've always liked those "Bent Glass" Caprices. Can't wait to see it!
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I was standing around someone this last weekend and they were down playing the quality of thier ride...

That sorta bothers me.... shoot... it's your ride and if YOU like it then it's freaking perfect... bring it on... even if it's a Caprice... it's Your caprice and you dig it... awesome... lets check it out... why do you like it..what's there to love? so on and so forth... share your enthusiasm not the apology...

Trust me... the 550 Honda isn't the most expensive or fancyist motorcycle of mine... but I love it enough to leave the other junk at home and take it out 90% of the time... who cares what others think... I dig it.

Keith

Comment

I think Cap is a little jaded, he seems to have caught a lot of flak for "modifying" the old caprice...so he needs to let everyone know he dont give a rats ass if you dont like it....I give him props for sticking with what he likes. Like my Fury, that body style seems to be shunned by car guys....I do the same thing...especialy around here...I almost always feel obligated to say "its under construction" when in reality...it probably will never get "done" ..... The fact is my ride makes me smile when I get behind the wheel..rust and all..... so why the F_k should I care what anyone else thinks....I hope it works out for you Cap...times are tought all around bro.....It will work out in the end

Comment

I looked at Henry's Coupe http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rys127pass.flv
          Nice. although I'm into carbed. LOL That's nice.
          ---
          I guess what does it for me is the lack of enthusiasm for this type of build. Everyone and their dog owns a Camaro it seems. I like the 69 too and my fav is the 67 Chevy Nova. I just want to be different. Everyone knows the Caprice sedans, not the coupes. Thanks Joe. You are right, and that's the way I feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
            I think Cap is a little jaded, he seems to have caught a lot of flak for "modifying" the old caprice...so he needs to let everyone know he dont give a rats ass if you dont like it....I give him props for sticking with what he likes. Like my Fury, that body style seems to be shunned by car guys....I do the same thing...especialy around here...I almost always feel obligated to say "its under construction" when in reality...it probably will never get "done" ..... The fact is my ride makes me smile when I get behind the wheel..rust and all..... so why the F_k should I care what anyone else thinks....I hope it works out for you Cap...times are tought all around bro.....It will work out in the end
            I could not have said it better!
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

It's great to see you here, Caprice. Keep it coming.

Comment

Yes, very nice to see you here.

Comment

Now I'm itchin' to see a picture. Rust and all.

Someone in high school had a 2 dr Caprice. Black. Looked cool.

Comment

I'm gonna try and post a pic of the 79. Thanks SBjay and Min. Yeah, I don't have any pics of the 81 just yet but here's my 79 that was totaled. (old picture) Those hood pins kept the hood from coming through the windshield and saved my neck, literally.

---
                    EDIT
                    Oh Yeah, no rust on the 81 :D

Comment

Hey Cap, I know I want to see more of your car. I like em because they have simple clean lines. You're not alone either, John McGann of Car Craft is doing major work on his 86 coupe as we speak. He's building an LT1 motor for it with Edelbrock heads and headers, he's got a 8.5 inch rear disc differential from a 95 Caprice the engine and trans came from too.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting the picture. The black-out wheels worked well on the '79.

I agree with Keith's comments earlier. When it comes to fixin' up a car, the only opinion that matters is your own (and sometimes maybe the wife if she's the one driving it all the time). The public opinion only matters when you're trying to sell something, and even then you only need to find one person that likes what you have done enough to buy it.

Comment

I used to get the same flack for my 77 Monte. I really dont care either. Those Caprices are in my opinion one of the best cars GM has built in the past 30 years. I had one (a 4 door) tough as nails and I drove the hell out of it. Keep building those man, its different and has nice lines and you never see the 2 doors, ever.

Comment

I have often said that the key to becoming fully adult is learning not to care. This is VERY different from being uncaring. What I mean by that is learning not to care what others think about you. I'm kind of an old softy, and have had some guys assume that I'm gay - I truly don't care (I'm not, BTW, but it does run in the family). If you like fat women - that's between you and her. I'm land speed racing a 6 cylinder Chevy in a Camaro. Most folks have been interested and helpful. A few have not - screw 'em.

Same thing with your car. Try to learn not to care. Personally, I've secretly drooled over that cool back window for years, but you don't need my approval. Go have fun with it, and many of us will like it too. Some won't, but they just don't need to matter. Just shoot for the best workmanship you can do and love the result. I'd love to see pics!

Later
                            Dan

Comment

To me building a car is like building a home.
                              I've never built a house for someone else's
                              taste.......'cause I'm the one going to live in it...not them

Your project reflects your taste and personality.
                              Round these parts....most people know they'll
                              never see me do a project with 17" wheels, they
                              know I'm old school...period.
                              Do it your way.......and have fun....and sometimes ...dare to be different

Comment

Working...
                              X