Putting "It" Into Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting "It" Into Perspective

Got an email today from the Windows Live Team. I get so many misspelled things from Window Live Teem (phishing attempts - titled "You Hotmail accont be will treminated if no respond)) in the junk mail, I almost deleted it. But this one was from them, in the inbox.

It was a "thank you" for being on Hotmail for ten years. It's worked very well for us over time. We've changed ISP's a half dozen times from all the moving around and chasing my job, and with Hotmail my email address has always been the same.

With their thanks for being a longtime subscriber, they pointed out that when I first signed up, Windows 98 was the red-hot operating system, and Titanic was a huge hit at the box office.

Okay. And Colonel Sanders was a buck private. And diamonds were still just coal. Thanks for reminding me.

Which got me to thinking about other things. I made a lot of noise here about going to the April Maxton event, but I'm now arguing with myself daily about that. I don't know diddly squat about cars and hotrods. As much as I would love to meet everybody on this forum in person, I'd just be taking up a scarce motel room and standing around being in the way.

That's where I am right now - waffling. When I think about something a little bit every day, it's surely on my mind.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Putting "It" Into Perspective

Dude, you gotta go. You'll love it and meet a bunch of the dudes and dudettes. There is no such thing as being in the way unless you are a jerk, which you are not.

It is probably the single most accomodating place in all of organized motorsports. You'll have a blast and learn stuff, which in my book is the best type of experience.

No one is going to say, "Hey, Pewee unless you can degree the cam in on that Hemi over there, you need to leave."

Plus there's moonshine involved at night.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

And Sunshine during the day (usually). Come on, PeeWee. We'll make you feel at home. And if you stay at someplace other than the Pine Acres the rooms won't be all that scarce (usually). And Pine Acres is first come-first served so don't feel like you're taking someone's slot if you DO get a spot there. I'd avoid the Scotland Inn unless you like your shoes sticking to the carpet.

Seriously, we'd LOVE to have you and I'm sure you'll have a blast. Be prepared - it's pretty pricey - $5.00 for the weekend!

Dan

Comment

Aw, bullshit, PeeWee.

You live in Tennessee....the event is in North Carolina. No really good excuse NOT to get off yer ass and go, man(if I was that close, you can bet yer boots I'd be there).

Don't know much about cars? No time like the present to learn, brother.....and you don't have to have a doctorate in automotive engineering to have a good time.

Maxton is on my bucket list...just gotta get the off-time squared away.

Comment

re: perspective

You have no excuse. I know no more than you about cars, I have to beg, borrow, steal and schmooze my way down there (900+ miles each way) have no income, and by gosh I'll be there in April if I have to walk. And then I am gonna whip the squirrels in my junk to get it down there in June to race on the same budget. Unless you have family concerns, or something really important, you should be there! Bah, southerners! ;D ;D ;D

-Walt

Comment

"Bah, southerners!"

Now wait a minute.....don't bash Southerners. We nearly won the war. But for a nuclear weapon, we coulda pulled it off.

It's in fact Southern hospitality that has me not wanting to take up a space that should be available for someone more qualified.

When I met Matt for lunch he pulled up in Pumpkin the Car. It was going whack-a-ta-taka-ta. I said, "I don't think that thing's stock."

Matt said no, it's got (lots of technical details that I didn't understand at all).

I just don't speak the language. I don't know it. I'm intimidated. I don't know the language. Nothing at all to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
              "Bah, southerners!"

Now wait a minute.....don't bash Southerners. We nearly won the war. But for a nuclear weapon, we coulda pulled it off.

It's in fact Southern hospitality that has me not wanting to take up a space that should be available for someone more qualified.

When I met Matt for lunch he pulled up in Pumpkin the Car. It was going whack-a-ta-taka-ta. I said, "I don't think that thing's stock."

Matt said no, it's got (lots of technical details that I didn't understand at all).

I just don't speak the language. I don't know it. I'm intimidated. I don't know the language. Nothing at all to contribute.
              Well, I don't know anything about Southerners as I live below the penal colony in some kind of weird space/time continuum where the north and south seem to mingle mindlessly - a zone they call Florida.

With that said - if us "knuckledraggers" have to allow the "tree huggers" to waste our air then I am sure we would enjoy your company. I am planning on going as a spectator during the day and a partier / trouble maker at night.

Comment

The "bah southerner's" was just the quickest and easiest cheapshot I could come up with. I like southerners. Spent enough time around them that I talk a little funny for a Michigander. But... come on! Who cares what you know! Think of the great story it will make for weeville. I want to meet you, and I am sure so do the rest of the bs'ers that will be there.

Comment

What I'm feeling:

Comment

peewee, it doesn't matter what you know, the Maxton Family will welcome you regardless, and after meeting you I know you will do just fine. Put the waffles back in the freezer and go. See you in April! Seriously!
                    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

PeeWee just go!
                      I've been into cars sense I was about 4,I'm 47 now, I'm working on tuning my new Big Block in my Mustang and I'm going deeper into the carburator than I have ever been but I'm still learning.
                      You go and hang around,oh they'll bust on ya',but you will pick stuff up and after hangin' a while old friends will think your speakin' like a forin'er!
                      Look at it this way,how long you been playing guitar? I own one. I only know 3 cords but I can't play them right 3 time in a row,but I try. I sit and stare at the guy playing at the local book store on Friday nights and I'm just amazed.
                      People that come around to us at the track that don't start BS about what they have/had/want/faster than our stuff are never shunned in our world.
                      Hell your here,your already ahead of the game!

Comment

Okay....Pumpkin just called me and made me swear to go to Maxton. Okay. Dan, I want to volunteer for whatever I can do where I can sit down all day. My knees are bad. I have to sit down.

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

PW... stop swearing - you'll be better for it ;)
                            2nd.... many an unsuspecting "non-car-guy" went to an event like Maxton and came back talking about how the wife told you never to buy "that" car..... it sure runs nice, and looks purty too ;D
                            truly, it's like a barber shop - you hang around long enough you're going to get a haircut.... or to be more technically correct - you'll soon be saying "it's a treasure that just needs a bit of paint, and a couple of other things I can't think of right now" ;)
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X