Idea: something I've been thinking about re: theoretical Nova project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: something I've been thinking about re: theoretical Nova project

Okay, so I still can't make up my mind. I wanted a Camaro, then a Mustang, then an Audi S4, and now, in the past few days, I've been thinking that a Chevy Nova would be cool to have. The '68 bodystyle, in particular. So, the Audi S4 with the options I want comes out to about $55K. Would it be possible to build a decent Nova with that cash?

I'm not thinking about concours, I'm thinking daily driver. Let's say I find a Nova for about $10K. The rear quarters need some patching, the interior is shot, and the undercarriage has some holes in it, but it runs. Figure $5K in labor and paint (black with painted-on white rally stripes) for what lies ahead, and that leaves me with $40K to do some damage, less repairs to the body.

What would you do? What would you use for the chassis? What kind of motor/transmission combo? I know there was an article on the website for engine/trans combos from GMPP with cats, wiring and all that, can someone give me that link? Give me some ideas, I'd like to start dreaming about what to do.

Re: Idea: something I've been thinking about re: theoretical Nova project

Forr 55K you could have a Nova that would actually out perform an S4.

Start with a clean car and go nuts with RideTech suspension on an Art Morrison custom frame, one of the GM E-Rod motors (Hell the LS-A is 14 K complete) and slap some decent paint on it. Voila!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by ferrarimanf355
      (black with painted-on white rally stripes)
      I would have to say no to the white rally stripes. I would go with satin black stripes if any at all.

Comment

I have a black '72 with white stripes, but I would go silver or satin black as well. With that said, you can get a nice nice Nova for $50k. Be smart, buy a nicer car to start with, and you'll be money ahead. Seriously, if you want help on this, I can help. Let me know what you want to do with the car when it's done, and I'll let you know what stuff you should put on it. I've done tons of Camaros, several Novas, and everything else.

You can do this and still end up with cash in your pocket for another project!
        "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Why not just buy Urban's old Nova? I have seen that thing for sale on several occasions.

Ron
          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

also go here: http://www.novas.net

$50k sounds like a lot of coin for a DD Nova with LSx power. I'm thinking no show car paint
            a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Same.all depends on parts chosen.

Here's an idea:my 509 in my buddies roller: 40k.
              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. This is all just pie-in-the-sky dreaming at the moment, but it's nice to have something to aspire to. ;D

Right now, I'm downloading the ss396.com and Classic Industries catalogs, so I can get some further ideas. One thing I'm thinking of, is power everything- mirrors, door locks, windows, steering, all that. I think I have a good idea for most of them, except for the mirrors. I want side mirrors that look old-school, but with power functions on driver and passenger sides, something like the Talbot style would be nice.

http://www.cobranda.com/gtcltastchmi.html
                Any ideas on where to get that?

Comment

novas dont bring camaro money. find a completely rust free car and do a 6.0/4l80e swap.
                  Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

If I were you I would look for a roller or a grandma car. This would be a good start

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89
                      novas dont bring camaro money. find a completely rust free car and do a 6.0/4l80e swap.
                      I'm fine with that, I just want to build something that I can enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis
                        If I were you I would look for a roller or a grandma car. This would be a good start
                        Memphis, nice find 8)

....its a l'il premature as I am waiting to see what the bonus looks like in March but I will be looking for a 71-74 Ventura for a project car, only real requirement is that she be a runner with minimal cancer/body needs, much like the Nova in the above link

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

I have a 71 Ventura, was thinking of building a sleeper with it, but hey, if you guys want to throw $40k-$50k at it, I could build to suit. Its the perfect sleeper since its manual everything and has the stovebolt in it, just right to dump one of my shag nasty 455s and make it look like a 350. 2800lbs with 600hp would be stupid fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                            I have a 71 Ventura, was thinking of building a sleeper with it, but hey, if you guys want to throw $40k-$50k at it, I could build to suit. Its the perfect sleeper since its manual everything and has the stovebolt in it, just right to dump one of my shag nasty 455s and make it look like a 350. 2800lbs with 600hp would be stupid fun.
                            I will PM you post mid-March (after bonus is known)..thanks

Comment

I always thought this was an interesting build for a 68-70 nova .

Comment

Working...
                              X