Antidote to "Sick of Craig's List"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidote to "Sick of Craig's List"

I wasn't sure I was going to post this but after the Craigslist frustration thread I thought I would.

My shop is really tall inside (17 1/2' to the peak) and I need to run gas supply lines, electric power and some other stuff in support of the heater. I've tried balancing on a ladder to do this stuff and maybe I'm just old but it's a PITA. When I built the shop I rented a scaffold which worked well but that ran into a bunch of money quickly.

I looked into buying a scaffold system at Lowes - they had 'em for $110/unit but they are too narrow to stack and I need it two decks high. And I'd need two of them IF they would stack. So that wasn't gonna work.

On a whim I decided to check Craigslist. Sure enough, there's a guy selling scaffold. Industrial grade scaffold, just like the pros use. By the time I had everything for two layers I was quoted $220 - but I was too late for wheels as they had been sold. So off to Myrtle Beach I go. The stuff was EXACTLY as advertised, the guy was home, he helped me load it and it's sitting in the back of the truck as I type (I'll unload tomorrow as it's dark now). Find some wheels and I'm in business. I brought him the right amount IN CASH so I was a good buyer, too.

Sometimes everything works correctly on Craigslist so I'm willing to stick with it - but I know it CAN go bad on ya.

Dan

Re: Antidote to "Sick of Craig's List"

I was fishing through the local craigslist a few days ago and found a craftsman toolbox for a decent price. I called the guy and it turned out he lived about a mile from me. Drove straight to his house, checked the box out, payed the man his asking price and headed home after he helped me load it. Gone a total of 30 minutes from the house. Every deal I've had on craigslist was just as good. I've heard the horror stories but luckily not mine.

Comment

im going to go check craigs list :D
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

A pair of 27" Sony televisions, a microwave oven and a badass Straocaster and I am very satisfied with craigslist.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

One cardboard pool table exactly as advertised. Our next door neighbors now love having it.

And a whole lot of other things we mused at but never went to see. Craig's List is a modern miracle. But of course, we're easily entertained here at Weeville.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Great score on the scaffolding, Dan!
            President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Dan i agree. My sister basically furnished her first apartment from Craigslist in DC. I have bought a set of decent 9C1 police wheels, an epiphone acoustic, ipod and school books from Craigs. I don't see how it's too much different from the classifieds in the paper. When people get screwed over its usually because they didn't keep their wits about them or sent their money to Nigeria or something...

I have yet to buy a car off of the site but I got my first car from the papers, it can't be too bad. Deal smart and you'll be fine. If its too good to be true, it probably isn't.

Comment

62 new yorker parts car, old pontiac intake, really nice firestone tires, two 883od tranys, 1 dodge work van, 1gmc work van, and two very nice renters.

I'm dam near smitten with craigslist.
                Steve
                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

I've had good luck with craigslist, too. Both buying and selling. Sure, I've had a couple attempts at being scammed, but like was said If you keep your wits about you, it's fine.

I was selling a canoe for $200. I got a reply that said something to this effect:
                  I am interested in your item (<-- key words to look out for - non specific). Since it is in good condition and not in need of any repairs, I am willing to give you and extra $50 for it. Send me your full name and address (yada yada) and I will have it shipped to (yada yada) .

My first reply to anyone interested is to ask a time when they can come take a look at it in my home town... I don't give an address or phone number until I am more sure it's a regular person, not a scammer.

Comment

Re: Antidote to &quot;Sick of Craig's List&quot;

I've had great luck. Just recently I was selling a LockRight for a Dana50. I was honest when the guy asked how well it worked on the street (they're too aggressive for street driving in the front diff). He thanked me for being honest, we got to talking about trans/convertor issues in his F350 and he ended up letting us do his trans overhaul including R&R.......

There's still alot of honest folks out there in the land of craig's.....
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Re: Antidote to &quot;Sick of Craig's List&quot;

My truck, 60gal upright industrial compressor, chop saw, 4L80E transmission, 2 chairs, coffee table, headboard, bedroom set, and a dresser all from craigslist. So far the only thing that's gone weird is I had 2 truck boxes sold out from under me . All the stuff for sale has gone smoothly but it's been a headboard and a spare night stand.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                      X