Greatest Generation P51 stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Generation P51 stuff...

This is the best Video I've seen in a while... it's not short... but it damn sure is good...

asb.tv is your first and best source for information about asb. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

We owe these people our thanks for the ability to speak English as our primary language...

Re: Greatest Generation P51 stuff...

Good video. Hat is off in gratitude.

Keith, one of these summers consider dragging your nappy butt up here to Reading for WWII weekend.

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I watched the 2009 show while doing "testing" on our Baja car in the field accross from Gring's Mill Gene. Was a cool show, I didn't enjoy the traffic at 222 & 183 though.
      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Mustang and Spitfire...the 20th Century's greatest works of art
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

OK. You've got me sitting here blubbering. When I was growing up these guys were all around be - my friend's dads, mostly - and none of them spoke a word. It's like they wanted to put it behind them. My folks had a friend (Vic Johnson) who was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed. To the best of my knowledge he never did tell his story and took it to the grave with him.

They wouldn't take my Dad because he had one eye - and a family. He tried to sneak in thru the National Guard but they caught him in the eye exam. He had memorized the chart but they changed it right before he stepped up to the line. He always felt TERRIBLE that he hadn't done his part (in his mind), even though he worked 16-20 hour days keeping the mechanical computers that kept track of materiel working.

Those birds are breathtaking. Modern warbirds are more lethal for sure but they just aren't as pretty, at least to my eye. I always said I was going to get over to the Yankee Air Force which was a couple of miles from my house when I lived in Ypsi - but I just never did it. I need to make that a priority next time I'm in Michigan.

Dan

Comment

Dan
            I would be pleased to make that trip with you. I've had the privilege of having two WW2 airmen in my family - a great uncle was a bombadier navigator on B29s, and another was a co-pilot on 24s. These were my Father's greatest heroes and I took to them just the same.
            We bought our house from a WW2 P51 pilot - when I first met him - I thanked him for his service to our country - which nearly brought a tear to his eye - I am sad that we are loosing these folks in great number and before long - we will no longer be able to hear first hand accounts, but only read about it in history books.

I'm afraid there may never be a greater time in American history than when the day peace was declared after WW2.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Keith, thanks for that. Yes it is long, but worth every minute!
              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

We owe these people our thanks for the ability to speak English as our primary language...
                Right on.

Not to mention the right to speak freely.

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Definitely a great video, and a great plane. I'm partial to Corsairs myself. I think that video demonstrates the value in keeping these magnificent machines flying, as a way to connect with history. The sights and sounds of a real live warbird screaming overhead have an impact that you just don't get when you see them static in a museum. It won't be long before those pilots are all gone, but their planes and their stories will live on.

I would love to get a chance to fly in a plane like that. I'm going to try and catch the Thunder Over Michigan show this year, and maybe some other air shows. Oshkosh or Reno would be great.

Sad to say, but you'll never see any of the modern fighters in civilian hands like that. Even Vietnam-era jets are just about extinct. Cut up, scrapped, used as target drones, destroyed to keep from falling into the wrong hands.

Comment

I rarely do pilot stuff anymore... but damn...how could you not love that?

Comment

Keith, we have something going down at the base here in March that is a must see if youre ever in these parts. They call it a Heritage Conference...but really it is air show training. All the guys who got money out the wazoo come here to get training to fly at airshows....lots of vintage war fighters...If I get time I will stroll out to the ramp and snap off a few pics for you all...last year a P51 spun a few bearings and I was able to watch his crew come in and tear it down, and load it up on a truck...amazing how little difference there is between that engine and my T56 (externaly)....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That is a GREAT story and video!! I never get tired of hearing their stories or watching those magnificent airplanes!! My Uncle flew P-51s and P-38s in Europe during WW11.My Father fought in the South Pacific and Korea,he and my Uncles never said much about the wars,never considered themselves heros,they felt they were just doing what was right!! They were,and are,the Greatest Generation!! ROY

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                            Good video. Hat is off in gratitude.

Keith, one of these summers consider dragging your nappy butt up here to Reading for WWII weekend.

20 bucks. Damn. I would do it...but it is a long ride.

A memory of shaking chuck yeagers hand , and watching him fly, needs a refresher.
                            Analogies of shaking hands with a piece if steel are true.

That old v12 sound, it is my longing to keep. Nothing will beat downdraft, nor the legends that can climb from it...and did.

in the clip, the guy referring to the crew chief. It got to me a bit. great vid.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                              This is the best Video I've seen in a while... it's not short... but it damn sure is good...
                              I finally sat down and watched the entire 28 minutes and what a brilliant, beautifully done aviation story.
                              Brought a tear to my eye and made me think about what we owe those Legends of the past that are in their sunset years.
                              ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X