Updated Luxury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated Luxury

I like luxury performance cars, just do. Probably why I'm so big into Rivieras and Buicks in general. Has anyone else thought about buying an 80's luxury barge for the pennies they cost now and doing it up on all levels to make it more contemporary in terms of performance, amenities, and handling?

Take an 85 LeSabre, add a bit of supercharged aluminum 6.0 and 4L80E, toss the bench for some buckets, tuck the bumpers in and lower it a fuzz, tart up the suspension and brakes with some of the aftermarket stuff for a Impala SS, and paint it up real nice. I bet you could have it done for less than half the cost of a newish luxury machine.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Updated Luxury

CTX that's a classy idea. I love the anonymous styling of any 25 yr old GM box, plus their platforms are universal and big enough to accept almost any drivetrain. I'd get a wrecked corvette/ctsv, and toss its heart into a used $1000 box (preferrably a Buick or Caddy). Then add some tasteful updates ie; rims, euro headlights, exhaust, stereo and minor interior upgrades. Itd be sweet to mock up some kind of console for a standard shift. Suspension could be worked over with stiffer springs and thicker bars to deal with the typical roll these boats have. To finish the package I'd nab some V or GS emblems for the trunk. Somebody must have done something like this already

Comment

Luxury usually does not age well...at least around here...the nice bits inside like the fine corinthian vinyl tend to deteriorate, and it's hard to find replacements.

That might be one reason why I like low buck cars, like chevys.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

All that mess is on the replacement list in my mind and part of the reason why those cars are so cheap.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I have a 76 park ave, with a 455 and TH400, that I just cant part with. I have great plans for building the Buick big block and haveing a real cool sled. So far I am all talk, and the car sits on the side of my house! But someday!!!! It will be great.

Comment

I love those cars .Mid 80's and back. Ive got a 78 Olds Regency 2 door that im either gonna sell or paint and
            keep. My other favs are the 78-85 Deltas and 77-79 Coupe Deville's.Im good with these even stock.

Comment

rwd conversion on an 85 toronado

Comment

sounds like a slippery slope leading down to donkville ???
                Charles

Comment

No donks.
                  There was a land before Donks in the mid 1980's when these cars were kinda cool in the metropolitan NY area.
                  A nice black Delta with tinted windows and a little rake with some tru spoke wheels and you were good to go.
                  Spidey knows what im talkin about.

Comment

brooklyn look - black holiday coupe olds - or toronado
                    tinted windows ...seat set down low for your guido-ette's high hair

Comment

me thinking 82 coupe de ville with 455 olds and 18inch Tq Thusts.dark blue.lowered 3 inches.
                      "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

I've got a bunch of 60's/70's full-size stuff,but,they're not really meant for butchering/modding/or 'improving'...you WANT a luxury Car,go out 'an buy a new V12 Mercedes...~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Luxury usually does not age well....
                          That about says it...80's GM luxury cars go for pennies-on-the-dollar for a variety of reasons. I just spent all god-d**n Saturday under the dash of my '88 pickup truck...AGAIN...over wiring issues, and it ain't even "luxury". Fu*k!, the computer-controlled cruise-control has taken a dump, the f'n wipers with their little computer-thing are long-gone, the heater control which had to be another f'n "electronic" controlled deal fried long ago. I am now reduced to simply trying to find the latest ground-wire that don't "ground" anymore, and that still keeps me busy and deep in swear words. Wherever I can, I just direct-wire crap and I don't care if it works well, I just want it to work a little, period. You could make a f'n career out of figuring out how to fix '80s GM electronics, or spend your retirement $ having someone else figure it out...

...or...

...Just make yourself the rule that whatever it is you're gonna build, it needs to take a Painless harness of whatever circuit count. Theoretically the GM stuff should be restorable, but in practice it's a na-na.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
                            Fu*k!, the computer-controlled cruise-control has taken a dump,
                            Hehe, and I'm trying to put one of those on my Skylark. I'm just a VSS Buffer away from making that happen :P
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              brooklyn look - black holiday coupe olds - or toronado
                              tinted windows ...seat set down low for your guido-ette's high hair
                              Thats what im talkin about !
                              A cousin had an 85 Toronado 2 tone grey and burgandy with vouges and chariot wire wheels.
                              I wish I could find a picture on the net of a car hooked up like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X