X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who insist on racing on public streets

Discuss.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: For those who insist on racing on public streets

Don't have to worry about them doing that again. Glad that I lived through my stupid phase. Now if anyone wants to race we meet at the track. It just does not make any sense to race on the street. I know that there are people here that do not agree, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    1964 Chevelle
    Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
    LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

What's to discuss except for how stupid it is?

Did it when I was a kid, but the setting was between stoplights a block apart. And even that's worth a prison term but there were no cops around who cared in the 70's and there was no traffic.

We had fellow-kids get killed not racing, instead going out on the lonesome stretch of highway to see how fast they could go. But for the one carload (4) who decided it would be cool to do that in town at 2:30 a.m. on the only street that had a sharp curve. That car's roof impacted a telephone pole about 5 feet off the ground, the car wrapped around it, and stuck there. 4 funerals. At least no innocents were hurt. Well, maybe there were in fact 3 innocents who died in the car. We'll never know.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

wow. sends chills down my spine. had a couple of high school classmates die in a highspeed wreck. the driver was showing off his graduation gift, a new firebird formula. all 4 died on impact when he ran out of road and hit a tree, the impact broke the car in half.
        It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Not too much left of those trucks. Personally I think the street racing is blown out of proportion by the media. Imagine if we heard of every time somebody wasn't killed in a street race. However it is still a shame for the friends and family of those that were killed.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant
            Not too much left of those trucks. Personally I think the street racing is blown out of proportion by the media. Imagine if we heard of every time somebody wasn't killed in a street race. However it is still a shame for the friends and family of those that were killed.
            I've seen more of it here on video, on this forum, than I ever saw in person, so I've always led a sheltered life, apparently.

What gets me is the guys who get into the throttle, and STAY in it...in TOWN. We never had that much room to do it where I was from.

And what gets me even more is that given enough room, some guys will actually DO it. That's somewhere between murder and suicide. Or both.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Am I guilty? Yes in the past? Yes(MartinTractor&Allen Airport)Those were the 2 hot spots growing up.Martin Tractor to me ended up with way too many people and the airport(closed)they put 2 telephone poles in the middle of the runway. :o That was 30 years ago.Back then if anyone wanted to run me it was just the other guy and me. NO ONE ELSE!
              Our local dragstrip has 6 test and tune events for the entire year.Most of the kids here arent interested in bracket racing just want to see who is faster.With so few events Im sure street racing lives on Wanamaker Road.My 20 year old got his start racing Junior Dragsters 12 years ago.Yes they are loud and annoying but he knows where the proper place is to race.If anyone wants to race him the only chance they have is one of those 6 test and tunes.
              JMO!

Comment

tech inspection is a breeeze

Comment

The white sheets in the cabs are covering bodies of the deceased.
                  One close up of the red truck clearly shows a leg with a brown boot dangling out of the cab ...
                  :P

Comment

guns don't kill people
                    cars don't kill people
                    planes and trains don't kill people

people kill people, and that's the shame of it all.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                      guns don't kill people
                      cars don't kill people
                      planes and trains don't kill people

people kill people, and that's the shame of it all.
                      I have said the same thing for years.

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Valiant
                        Not too much left of those trucks. Personally I think the street racing is blown out of proportion by the media. Imagine if we heard of every time somebody wasn't killed in a street race.
                        There is certainly some truth to that. But it doesn't matter. Cars are too fast, streets are too busy, and the world is too small for street racing today. Those who do it create risk for both everyone and everything else around them - without asking permission. They also jeapordize all of us with this hobby. They make Joe Public look at our carefully built projects and lump us in with the complete jacka$$es that street race. And they make public pandering politicians enact ridiculous legislation that doesn't affect the jacka$$es, but hurts us.

Comment

Theres no description of how old these people where.

Young and tough,dont always mix with alcohol.If you are driving fast,you should at least be sober.

Comment

"Police said they believe alcohol played a factor in the incident"

But the media chose to go for the sensational and splash the "street racing" headline anyway. The weren't even the stereotypical ricer clowns-just a couple drunken fools in pickup trucks that apparently couldn't even drive in a straight line. Now there will be cries of "something must be done" and they'll forget all about the drunk part and go looking for a pariah to crucify and it will as usual be anyone with a non-stock car.

Originally posted by ksj1
                            Our local dragstrip has 6 test and tune events for the entire year.Most of the kids here arent interested in bracket racing just want to see who is faster.With so few events Im sure street racing lives on Wanamaker Road.

Six times a year! Perfectly good drag strip right there in town and the damn thing's never open, and they wonder why there's street racing. Even KCIR is open for test and tune twice a week.

Comment

Your all just a bunch of fraidy cats!
                              I I just street raced a couple of weeks ago just so I could come on here and say I did it.
                              Theres risks no matter where you race, just ask Scott Kalitta, oh wait a minute you can't because he was racing on a safe NHRA ruled track and still died?
                              When it happens it happens thats the way it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X