Chevelle Malibu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevelle Malibu?

I'm not a Chevy guy so I'm not 100% sure. The Chevelle Malibu. Is it a Chevelle or a Malibu? Or does it carry both names as one? I have always thought it to be one or the other. The reason I ask is that there is a guy here in town that will argue with anyone that he has a Chevelle Malibu.

Re: Chevelle Malibu?

chevelle is the car model (midsize car), malibu is a trim option. chevelle 300, malibu, SS 396 were different versions of the midsize car

You can argue whatever you want....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

read about the first gen's here -

Squirrel is spot on as usual -

Kind of like early Chevy II's or Nova's ? Nova's or Chevy II's ?
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

What Jim said!....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Yeah, it's like...at the start (1964) there was the base Chevelle (the 300), then there was the up-trimmed Malibu version, then the SS...by the '70s it was seeming that all Chevelles were Malibus, and then in '78 they just called 'em all Malibus and dropped the Chevelle name.

Chevy was doing that sort of thing with names. Um hmm, the Nova was originally a trim+hardtop option for the Chevy II, by '68 all Chevy II's were Novas then in '69 the dropped the Chevy II name altogether.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I learn something new every time I log on.

Comment

Depending on the year there are also El Camino's with Malibu trim and emblems. Most SS396 Chevelles had Malibu trim but some years you could order a Chevelle 300 with SS396 equipment. Some years the Super Sport was a separate model and some years it was an option package. There is also the 300 Deluxe which is a stripper Chevelle 300 with carpet. There was also the top of the line Concours trim available some years on 2 & 4 door hardtops and wagons-Concours Estate with woodgrain.

A Chevelle can be a-
              300 Deluxe
              Malibu
              Concours
              Super Sport
              SS396

Then there are the COPO 427 Chevelles that could be ordered with or without Malibu trim but came without the Malibu emblems or SS identification of any kind.

Comment

Everyone is correct. ~J/W.

Comment

Malibu is a trim option through 1977. In '78, with the A/G body, the "Chevelle" was dropped entirely.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                  X