Crazy laser plane passes first test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy laser plane passes first test

This project has been in the works for a long time, but apparently the laser beam shooting 747 has succeeded in it's first test by frying a missile while in flight. Woot woot for all the brains involved.

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Crazy laser plane passes first test

<<<This is NOT meant to be a political statement>>> So Ronald Reagan wasn't wrong after all. He was just too early....way too early. Way way WAY too early.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The MDA (Missile Defense Agency) has been working on this for quite a long time. We have worked projects involving mobile units mounted on Hummers for ground/air warfare, and also on systems for UAVs, but this is the first time I've heard of a system on a commercial airliner. Cool stuff. Awesome to think we can now blow things out of the air using nothing more than light...
      Still plays with trucks....

Comment

They've been working on this for some time right here in LA. Actually within a misfire distance of the Hot Rod offices. TRW (Northrop Grumman) had been slowly decreasing it's size to get it into a plane. I drove one of the engineers who tried to explain it. He lost me. It's pretty amazing that it originally would barely fit into a giant hangar less than a decade ago.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Very weird, but back when I worked for the spring water company, I got a call from a company up in Vermont that wanted to buy lots of distilled water. We were the only company close enough to provide them the volume they wanted (thousands of gallons at a time).

This place was building the heat exchangers for the plane to keep it from melting into a lump in the sky when they used the laser.

It was a super high tech operation, clean rooms, the whole deal...all tucked into the woods in a tiny town in Vermont.

Pretty cool.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

AWESOME use of technology and ingenuity - When do we get "Tractor Beams" ?
            ;D

Comment

Another few years and we can use them pre-emptively instead of defensively......

Comment

Working...
              X