Just Another Old Part.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Another Old Part.....

Here is a transmission mount for a 1934 Pontiac. That's the only thing it fits also. It is a one year only, one car brand only mount. In 1933, the mount was smaller, and in 1935 it was bigger. This kind of limits the number of customers that might need this particular mount re vulcanized, but as far as I can tell, we are the only company offering this service for this particular vehicle. There is very close to 70 hours of time involved in designing and building this mold.

This is the original as received from the customer. As you can see, the rubber is pretty much turned into jelly from way too many years of being soaked in oil. That is problem number one. What did it originally look like? Problem number two, how does it come apart? Problem number three, how much rubber will be needed to fill the empty space? The answers to all three questions is, I have no idea, but somehow I'll figure it out. This is just one of the many reasons why I love my job.

After burning out what was left of the old oil soaked rubber jelly, I was left with trying to figure out how to get the two parts separated without distorting the steel too badly. The two rounded ears are pretty thick steel, so I very carefully bent them open just enough to get the inner piece out. After I finished cleaning what was left of the old rubber, I had to install that piece again, and bend those ears back to the way they were before.

I started whittling away at a chunk of billet. This mount has quite a few nooks and cranny's that needed to be blocked off in order to keep the new rubber from oozing out. In order for the process of re vulcanizing to work properly, I need to over-fill the mount and be able to build up a total of 25 tons of pressure and not have it squeeze out somewhere. The rest of these pictures is what I came up with to do the job properly. I'm hoping to run this next week sometime, but I have a rather large back-log of other things that I have to get out of the way first. Because I didn't have a brand new mount to make the mold to, I may have a problem when, and if, the next one comes in. Most of the time involved in making this particular mold had to do with file-fitting almost every piece to make the entire thing come together exactly the way I needed it to. The two outter pots will be filled with rubber, then it will be injected thru all those little holes, and hopefully make it's way into the cavity. It would be nice if I could use something like Playdoe to be able to do a simulated dry-run. I sure hope this works.

Re: Just Another Old Part.....

The best part of this stuff is that Mike shows us how he does it and I still think....how the F does he do that?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I often wonder the same thing when I'm done. You've seen the two bucketsOscrap. It doesn't always work the first time. :-\

Comment

That's awesome work! Thanks for sharing. The mold itself looks way cooler than the part!! :o
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Moldy ;D. Great stuff as usual,Mike. ~J/W.

Comment

Mike "Mad Skills" Casella.

Incredible.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

From an old tool & die maker - you done good!
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Damn Mike, I really think you need to install some bleachers and sell some popcorn, I'm in awe of your skills.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  The best part of this stuff is that Mike shows us how he does it and I still think....how the F does he do that?
                  No kidding. Thanks for sharing again Mike, you have to let us know how this one turns out.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Mike, you may possible have the coolest job ever...reverse engineering car parts...it is an art form...I love these posts...keep 'em coming.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I've found that it takes a special type of brain power to think in 3D... one of my friends retired from the body design dept at Ford where he worked on the body surface drawings. Most CAD folks now are quite practiced at thinking in 3D.

Mike mad skills Casella can not only think in 3D - he can then machine in 3D to build injection molds.... freakin wicked awesome Mike - and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Do you use programmable machines or do you do this all by hand?
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

thanks for sharing this stuff mike, we love to learn
                        how this different stuff is done.
                        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Dang Mile - you make me dizzy! Great work.

At first I thought this thread was about me - I thought it said "Just another old Fart".

Dan

Comment

Thats great Mike. I think Discovery channel should do a show on you!

Comment

Mike in my Rock business I make molds and junk as well... someday I'll have to post some pictures... of the basic's.. ( most of it is still fairly proprietary ).... Fun stuff....

What you guys are missing a bit .... is he's not only thinking in 3D but he's doing it in Reverse patterns....

It's freaking wicked....

( Rocks are easy )

Comment

Working...
                              X