Watch Sully Land in the River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Sully Land in the River

This is astounding. Watch what Sully did with that airplane in the last 30 seconds or so - nose up to bleed off the speed. He asks his First Officer, "Got any ideas?" and the FO says, "Actually not."

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Watch Sully Land in the River

Amazing. Thanks, Peewee.

I know one of the guys who was a passenger on that plane. NMCA Pro Street driver Chris Rini was on that flight and had many kind words for Capt. Sully.

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

According to Sully he's not a hero. Just a well trained guy doing what he was trained to do. I love that. Let's get all the pilots well trained. If you can believe the news reports, some of the pilots on the commuter lines, especially, just don't have those kind of skills.

Dan

Comment

that was great. Maybe he doesn't think he's a hero, but he sure can fly a plane
        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          According to Sully he's not a hero. Just a well trained guy doing what he was trained to do. I love that. Let's get all the pilots well trained. If you can believe the news reports, some of the pilots on the commuter lines, especially, just don't have those kind of skills.

Dan
          From what all I've gained on the subject, I think the pilot/crew assignments are based largely on seniority. So the younguns fresh out of pilot school are naturally the ones flying the puddle jumpers. Which does seem like a double whammy. Used to be you could nearly assume that your pilot had flown in the military before going commercial, but not any more.

I flew on sooooo many commuter flights where I looked at the pilot and thought, "You're just too YOUNG to be a pilot." Or you walk out on the tarmac and the person who greets you and throws your bag into the luggage hold then turns his hat around the other way and fires the plane up and flies it outta there.

And they all get trained and retrained all the time, so the more elder pilots have just been exposed to more training and naturally more stick time. And then there's the human factor, as to how well any or all of that training actually "took."

The last commuter crash I can remember, where was it in New Jersey or somewhere up there on the map? Where the weather was bad not not bad enough (icing was possible but not occuring or something like that) when the lady and the man flying that thing made some very basic critical pilot mistakes and just plain stalled it. And the lady was real sick with a cold but chose to fly anyway.

Comment

Dave, you may want to reread that post! Just called Sully a "Hore"! My typing skills suck, too.

Dan

Comment

Dave, you may want to reread that post! Just called Sully a "Hore"! My typing skills suck, too.

Dan
              I definitely saw that, but I wasn't gonna go there.

Comment

oops, thanks Dan. I fixed it
                Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Because I know you meant no disrespect I thought it was funny.

Dan

Comment

Because I know you meant no disrespect I thought it was funny.

Dan
                    It WAS funny. And since I'll be the next one to do something exactly like that, I laid low on it. Yeah, what a time and a spot for the perfect typo.

Comment

Funny how my brain tells my fingers what to do and they ignore it
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

You're ahead of me. "If I only had a brain" - scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz.

Dan

Comment

Ive been watching this one on and off all day. I musta watched it 15 or 20 times.

First watch the gauges - on the upper right. That tells you what the status is - airspeed and altitude. On the lower right you have the dialogue - the chatter between Sully, the First Officer, and the flight controllers.

You have to watch quick and read the dialogue as it goes by. It happens fast. First Officer Skiles was flying the plane on takeoff. He asks Sully for flap settings - ex. Flaps 1 please, Sully quickly says Flaps One. Standard stuff on takeoff. Skiles is flying it and Sully's the helper.

When they hit the birds, Sully quickly started the APU and said so - "Starting the APU." That's the Auxiliary Power Unit that runs the hydraulics for the control surfaces and landing gear - everything. That stuff usually runs off of the engines, but at that point both engines were dead. They were then in a giant glider, and couldn't have controlled it at all if Sully hadn't started the APU. That's just the training aspect Dan alluded to here earlier.

In the next instant Sully says, "My aircraft." A split second later Skiles says, "Your aircraft." So Sully is now flying it.

Watch all the attempts Skiles makes to relight the engines, shown quickly in the text bar. Nothing worked. Skiles tried everything while Sully steered the dead aircraft toward the river and also had to answer radio calls for traffic control at the same time.

Before hitting the water Skiles asked Sully if he wanted more than Flaps 2. Sully said let's stay with Flaps 2. A stunning decision made in a second. Enough flaps to hold the airplane in the air but not so much to turn the wings around when it hit the water.

I'm sorry, I know this a year-old story, but that computer generated simulation brought it all back. That's the best piece of flying ever. Yes, by a hero whether he likes it or not.

And I think I'm going to watch it about 5 more times before I go to bed. I can't stop.

Comment

I saw the flap order for the flaps. It resulted in the plane gaining almost 150 feet of altitude and more time before hitting the water. (Look around 06:20 in the video and watch the altitude climb almost immediately after the flaps are ordered.)

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                              I saw the flap order for the flaps. It resulted in the plane gaining almost 150 feet of altitude and more time before hitting the water. (Look around 06:20 in the video and watch the altitude climb almost immediately after the flaps are ordered.)

Yes it did - he was bleeding speed on purpose, nose up. By the time he got it to the water, that thing was perfectly stalled. It can't fly at 120 knots. Perfect. Nothing more perfect has ever been done. And on a moment's notice. Under duress.

Comment

Working...
                              X