Watch Sully Land in the River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Watch Sully Land in the River

Thanks for posting this Peewee, as mentioned then and now, pretty damnned impressive.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't want to confuse anybody here with all of my carrying on - - I've only flown model airplanes, but the basics of aerodynamics are all the same.

When you lower the flaps all the way it generates a lot more lift to allow the plane to stay in the air while flying slower. But at the same time it causes a lot more drag. If anybody's paying attention while riding on a commercial flight, coming in for a normal landing, they deploy full flaps and it's only a matter of a few seconds before the pilot goes more throttle to keep the thing flying. You have to give it more gas to go slower because there's so much drag, but more lift at the same time.

In Sully's case power was not an option, so he set the flaps just-so to land without power and get everybody out of there alive. Amazing.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

my understanding of that landing is that a difference in a degree nose up or down would have been catastrophic...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Wasn't Captain Sully's pastime/hobby Gliders?

Comment

Originally posted by 457Brodix

Wasn't Captain Sully's pastime/hobby Gliders?

I do believe that's part of his backround, and that sure didn't hurt. Not one bit.

Comment

First off, I would agree that the man is a hero. On the other hand though, he was just doing his job. Power off landing are drilled into you from day one of flight training. The actual procedure is not that complicated, especially when you have your landing area chosen and made. The thing that seems to get most pilots is that they freak out when the big fans stop spinning. You panic, forget to push the nose down, don't play the airspeed vs altitude game correctly, and forget to do the basics. Keeping your nerve and staying on top of the aircraft are what seperates a good pilot froma smoking hole in the gound. In the case where the pilot has glider time, he or she knows hows much better how to determine where you can go, and how fast you can get there.

-Walt

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                Power off landing are drilled into you from day one of flight training.
                Power off is one thing, add landing a jumbo jet full of people into a river, and the number of anyone who could do it gets a whole lot smaller, that's nerve racking to say the least. His calmness is uncanny.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                  Power off landing are drilled into you from day one of flight training.
                  Power off is one thing, add landing a jumbo jet full of people into a river, and the number of anyone who could do it gets a whole lot smaller, that's nerve racking to say the least. His calmness is uncanny.
                  Ain't that the truth. Or at least on the surface. The cliche is "Like a duck on the water." It all looks serene but under the surface the feet are paddling like hell.

The controllers were making suggestions for Teterboro or whatever and he shot back in an instant, "Unable."

When they got close to the water Sully quit acknowledging the radio chatter. THAT's when he was fixin' to grease that landing and the radio chatter was just that - chatter. Talk about concentration.

Yeah, let's all hope any pilot we fly with could do that under those circumstances, but I just don't think more than a handful could.

Comment

Great job! As I understand it, landing on water is near impossible without a nose dive, cartwheel, or the fuselage breaking up.....
                    STUGOTS

Comment

A VERY good friend of mine had a Cessna 182, (he lost his battle with cancer), I told him to land without the prop, so he cuts power at around 3500 feet and starts circling the airport, talk about freaky, it was the only time i was ever scared flying with him, however i couldnt imagine trusting anyone else that much.....

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                        Great job! As I understand it, landing on water is near impossible without a nose dive, cartwheel, or the fuselage breaking up.....
                        Yep, I'm no authorty at all and don't pretend to be, but that was hailed at the time to be the first completley successful water ditching of a commercial airliner ever. That is, the thing is in one big piece and everybody got out of it.

Wow. Okay, I promise I won't type any more on this one. That's more than enough from me on an old subject. That simulation simply blew me away, obviously. To all of y'all's suffering.

Okay. Hush peewee. (That's me talking to ME.) Hush peewee.

But I think I'll watch it a few more times again tonight. And not type anything about it.

peewee

Comment

HAHA Peewee type away, i always enjoy reading your posts....

Comment

"What do you need to land"? I was thinking a "miracle"....

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller
                              "What do you need to land"? I was thinking a "miracle"....
                              I promised I wouldn't type any more on this one, so I won t. Here's a blank spot: ( ). I didn't type anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X