No announcement yet.

For those who truly love the blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For those who truly love the blues...

I have had the opportunity to see TUF play twice now. They are AMAZING live performers. Heck, my buddy Josh even jammed with them (with MY strat) the first time I saw them. The are unassuming, modest, friendly, and most importantly: honest.

Nick and Danielle (the lead guitarist and the bass player) are brother and sister and both southpaws. Their cousin, Kris , is the drummer. He is right-handed.

In 2008, this group, representing the KC Blues Society, won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis against HUNDREDS of other performers. In the process, Nick won the Albert King award for the most promising blues guitarist of 2008. This award netted him a brand new Gibson guitar and a badass Category 5 amp.

Interestingly, Danielle's husband is a guitarist for the KC Blues Society representative for the 2010 International Blues Challenge, Levee Town. Unfortunately, Levee Town did not win this year, nor did my buddies, the Topeka Blues Society winner, Josh Vowell & The Rumble, but everyone had a great time.

These guys are a must see...

That is my Strat in the hands of Josh Vowell. He is tearing it up with Danielle, Nick and Kris at Uncle Bo's her in Topeka. They kicked major ass!

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

And another lefty bass player.

Went on a Blues Cruise in '04 that was put on by the Kansas City Blues Society. Whatta ride, and whatta show.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee

Went on a Blues Cruise in '04 that was put on by the Kansas City Blues Society. Whatta ride, and whatta show.
        Peewee, that is Danelle! Same gal!

Listen to her sing Etta James:

Could Danielle do any better covering this Etta James classic? Trampled Under Foot features a sibling trio that rocks and exudes the blues. You'll be blown ...

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Hendrix is on the Ovation channel right this minute.

Comment

I am not familiar with the the Ovation channel.... Checking to see if I get it on this new-fangled cable box...

Ron

Comment

Cable Providers
              AT&T U-verse TV - Topeka - DigitalNot Available
              Cox Communications - Topeka Not Available
              Cox Communications - Topeka - Digital Not Available

Dammit!

Comment

Well,that show just got over.

It's a cool channel. 274 on Direct TV.

Comment

They are two brothers and a sister. Very good. Seen them last summer at the Bean Blossom Blues fest.
                  I recently got a notice on Facebook that the girl was having some sort of medical problem. I don't know what the problem is.

Update; I guess all is well and they are performing again.
                  My favorite tune is Johnny Cheat.

At the Blues Fest, Nick opened the show soloing on the drums with his guitar. It was AWESOME.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee

What would Homer Simpson say..."Daaaayyyy oh"

Man, she is great. Like Janis Joplin without the gravel. Nice.

Comment

Danielle did indeed have some medical issues. She was life-flighted off the Blues Cruise, but since has been recovering well.

Although she performed sitting on a stool, her vocals were as good as I have seen and I wish her well during her recovery.

Ron

Comment

GOOD STUFF !!! thank you, watched a bunch of their you tube clips.

if Iam not mistaking, both Dick Dale and Jimi Hendrix both played a right handed guitar, upside down and left handed.
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

The Blues Cruise is a cool ticket.

I got to meet Taj Mahal. What a remarkable human being in person.

And I got to meet Magic Dick and J. Geils, though they'll neither one ever remember it. Everybody was meeitng them.

Magic Dick is appropriately named. Talk about not knowing somebody until you meet them? Dick is a real.... well he's named exactly right. And he didn't seem too magic to me at all. He can sure blow a harp, and he should stick to that. On stage.

Down to the last man and a woman, everybody on that whole ship, passengers and performers alike, every person was somebody you'd cherish meeting. Except for Magic Dick.

Koko Taylor, Debbie Davies, the winner of a blues contest that year The Movers, Lattimore, Lonnie Brooks and Ronnie Baker Brooks (Lonnie Brooks-another person you'd want to and would love to have over for dinner - fascinating and as homespun and humble as anybody in the world) , Jimmy Thackery (kinda cocky - he's good and he knows it), and on and on. Whatta trip and whatta continuous show from the afternoon until the early morning hours every day for a week.

Taj Mahal did a musical history clinic with his Dobro. Just him and the Dobro. He started with some historical African music. Played some tunes that were from countries I'd never heard of. Enthralling in a small setting. We were right there with him. Whatta guy.

Plus, the boat was moving and put ashore in St. Croix for a blues festival there. Sapphire the Uppity Blues Women, Freddie King (Freddie was late coming on - he apologized that he was stuck in traffic - there IS no traffic on that island - HHAHAHaH)

Comment

Dang, PeeWee - thanks for the Vicarious Cruise! Coming from the Detroit area, Miss Koko was sort of an honorary Detroiter and a local favorite. I saw her at a blues festival in Ypsilanti and, as you might expect, she STILL kicked butt. She was an old gal at the time and had to sit most of the time. Of course, she's gone now. Along the same line - catch Thornetta Davis if you can. She's a Detroiter and is a wonderful singer.

I'd have loved to have had that experience with Mr. Mahal. What a talent!

Dan

Comment

Peewee, now you have me charged up to go on the Blues Cruise next year. That sounds like a blast!

Ron

Comment

I was gonna mention that my favorite guitar player Jimmy Hendrix was a southpaw, however Peewee beat me to it. Damn that man could wail on a guitar.......

Comment

Working...
                                X