Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• std
    replied
    Re: For those who truly love the blues...

A couple summers ago I saw Joe Bonamassa and Kenny Wayne Shepherd. Awesome show.

Leave a comment:

• std
    replied

Originally posted by DanStokes
    Dang, PeeWee - thanks for the Vicarious Cruise! Coming from the Detroit area, Miss Koko was sort of an honorary Detroiter and a local favorite. I saw her at a blues festival in Ypsilanti and, as you might expect, she STILL kicked butt. She was an old gal at the time and had to sit most of the time. Of course, she's gone now. Along the same line - catch Thornetta Davis if you can. She's a Detroiter and is a wonderful singer.

I'd have loved to have had that experience with Mr. Mahal. What a talent!

Dan
    Dan, don't forget Bettye LaVette, another hometown girl

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback
    This may be my favorite version of Mercury Blues I've ever heard
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gotta love that guitar
    You guys are going to make me have to write a longer BangShift song, and it'll really suck. Stop stop stop! Too much great stuff!!!!!! System overload!!!!!!!! WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP (alarms) QUICK go to backup, somebody stop peewee - he's outta control

Leave a comment:

• Eagle Kammback
    replied

This may be my favorite version of Mercury Blues I've ever heard
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Gotta love that guitar

Leave a comment:

• Ron Ward
    replied

Also, at an upcominig show, Feb 19th at the Clearwater Sea Blues Fest in Clearwater, Fl is Mike Zito. This guy is from St. Louis and plays in KC and Topeka as well, but Clearwater is Damon Fowler territory. If we could get the two of these guys together on the same stage, it is quite possible we could knock the world off its axis. Damn the luck, Damon will be in Milwaukee the 19th...

Anyway, ENJOY!

Mike Zito: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOPrI1NvZi8
    killer vocals and a helluva songwriter. (He also has his own sigature series Catgegory 5 amp!)

Damon Fowler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80y44TxOPI
    Best damned lap steel player I have ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

He's good, for sure.

As a sort of geek about such things but lacking any real knowledge, what's the tuning on a slide resonator like this? I understand that slide is often tuned so that an open full strum=a chord but as I said I don't actually know what I think I know. And why don't folks play blues on Rickenbockers? I'm goofy for Rickys.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Ron Ward
    replied

Originally posted by CDMBill
    Watching the TUF video remminded me of the first time listened to Joe Bonamassa. How the hell do I not know about this guy? Same reaction to TUF.

I hope I get to see them at some point out West or wherever I am and they are at the same time. Of course it also reminds me that I need to play more, jeez I suck compared to that.

Bonamassa is, bar none, my favorite guitarist. He REALLY shines on his Chandler electric resonator on this song:

His voice will haunt you . Simply amazing perfomer.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• CDMBill
    replied

Watching the TUF video remminded me of the first time listened to Joe Bonamassa. How the hell do I not know about this guy? Same reaction to TUF.

I hope I get to see them at some point out West or wherever I am and they are at the same time. Of course it also reminds me that I need to play more, jeez I suck compared to that.

Leave a comment:

• 67BlueSS
    replied

Hey Ron

Have you checked out Samantha Fish? She is an up and comer out of KC. Just released her first cd two weeks ago. I have seen her perform and heard her on KKFI but have not got her new cd yet.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Ward
    Peewee, now you have me charged up to go on the Blues Cruise next year. That sounds like a blast!

Ron
    Ohhhhh is was. Koko Taylor's band played so loud on their warmup tune, I couldn't even stay there on the afterdeck. I got tired of holding my fingers in my ears. Same way with Lattimore and his plinky piano. Take earplugs - I never thought about that.

The one I went on was early on in 1996. The KCBS rented a Disney Big Red Boat ship for the week, so it was their rules on board (which meant "no rules.") Everybody was smoking in the stage areas, and there was no dress code whatsoever.

The one bad thing was even without a dress code ( they asked no wet bathing suits in the dining area) there was still formal meals at a precise time and they assigned you a table and a chair to sit at with a tent card. It's my understanding they've gotten away from that since then, with buffet meals you can plow into anytime and sit where and with whom you want.

And it made me decide I would never in my live go on a "real" cruise. At one of the ports we docked beside a Carnival ship. The Big Red Boat looked like one of the Carnival ship's lifeboats in a photo I took from down the pier. After dark there were a whole bunch of us hangin onto the rail on the main deck gawking through the Carnival ship's portholes with binoculars, watching all the fancies having champaign and cavier in their tuxedos and dinner dresses with pinky fingers sticking out just so on their champaign glasses. ....No, thanks. That sure doesn't look appealing to me.

One of the guys on our boat hollered so loud and so many times that a few of the Carnival's fancies came over to the window to see what the disturbance was. When he had their attention, he turned his butt around and mooned them from right across the pier. At eye level, boat-to-boat. A huge round of applause from all us on deck. He won a special "Full Moon Over St. Croix" award for that on the last day of the cruise.

It was a blast in spite of the fact that I was with a totally un-fun wife at the time (she became Ex No. 2). Even SHE couldn't make it not be fun, because it sure as hell was.

Leave a comment:

• truckpuller
    replied

I was gonna mention that my favorite guitar player Jimmy Hendrix was a southpaw, however Peewee beat me to it. Damn that man could wail on a guitar.......

Leave a comment:

• Ron Ward
    replied

Peewee, now you have me charged up to go on the Blues Cruise next year. That sounds like a blast!

Ron

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied

Dang, PeeWee - thanks for the Vicarious Cruise! Coming from the Detroit area, Miss Koko was sort of an honorary Detroiter and a local favorite. I saw her at a blues festival in Ypsilanti and, as you might expect, she STILL kicked butt. She was an old gal at the time and had to sit most of the time. Of course, she's gone now. Along the same line - catch Thornetta Davis if you can. She's a Detroiter and is a wonderful singer.

I'd have loved to have had that experience with Mr. Mahal. What a talent!

Dan

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied

The Blues Cruise is a cool ticket.

I got to meet Taj Mahal. What a remarkable human being in person.

And I got to meet Magic Dick and J. Geils, though they'll neither one ever remember it. Everybody was meeitng them.

Magic Dick is appropriately named. Talk about not knowing somebody until you meet them? Dick is a real.... well he's named exactly right. And he didn't seem too magic to me at all. He can sure blow a harp, and he should stick to that. On stage.

Down to the last man and a woman, everybody on that whole ship, passengers and performers alike, every person was somebody you'd cherish meeting. Except for Magic Dick.

Koko Taylor, Debbie Davies, the winner of a blues contest that year The Movers, Lattimore, Lonnie Brooks and Ronnie Baker Brooks (Lonnie Brooks-another person you'd want to and would love to have over for dinner - fascinating and as homespun and humble as anybody in the world) , Jimmy Thackery (kinda cocky - he's good and he knows it), and on and on. Whatta trip and whatta continuous show from the afternoon until the early morning hours every day for a week.

Taj Mahal did a musical history clinic with his Dobro. Just him and the Dobro. He started with some historical African music. Played some tunes that were from countries I'd never heard of. Enthralling in a small setting. We were right there with him. Whatta guy.

Plus, the boat was moving and put ashore in St. Croix for a blues festival there. Sapphire the Uppity Blues Women, Freddie King (Freddie was late coming on - he apologized that he was stuck in traffic - there IS no traffic on that island - HHAHAHaH)

Leave a comment:

• ls7gto
    replied

GOOD STUFF !!! thank you, watched a bunch of their you tube clips.

if Iam not mistaking, both Dick Dale and Jimi Hendrix both played a right handed guitar, upside down and left handed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X