Treasures in the Junk Yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treasures in the Junk Yard

After hitting the Long Beach Swap this morning; I decided to take a quick look at the nearby salvage yard. Actually, I was going to hit two of them; but Memory Lane is no longer in business. So, I went to Ecology Auto Parts next door. Normally, if you don't own a 90's jap car; there's nothing here for you, but today showed a couple surprises. Too bad I didn't have a truck and more $$$$.

First, I came across a mid 80's dually Chevy p/u that some how still has it's 454 in it. Almost complete minus the carb and alternator.

A few steps away right in the middle of the aisle was a 70 Electra 225 that was still complete including it's 455/th400 and giant ass finned aluminum drum brakes, and monster four core radiator. In '70, even the luxo boats had high compression bad boys under hood.

I found a 74 Continental hidden amongst the wrecked Ford Tauruses. Looking at those massive intake ports, I'm going to take a stab that is a 385 series, 429 maybe. Someone ran off with the Holley and intake, but chromey valve covers were still there. I bet the C6 is still behind it.

Out back the 9 inch diff was still there too.

It's a near 500 yard walk to get to the GM's at this place, but I found this 79 Grand Prix with these adapters on all four wheels. Could someone get lucky and ran off with a set of vintage knock off wheels from this car? I looked around for evidence of the wheels, but no luck.

In the car corral was this minty, granny gem. A '71 Dodge Monaco that was in unbelievable shape. The odometer said 47K miles and I believe it. It still had the granny plastic seat covers inside, power everything, 400 underhood, and rallys. The dude that handles these cars wasn't around today. Hell, I was lucky that I found someone who spoke english at all here. It will need a LR window as there is a pile of broken glass in the door.

This engine is cleaner than most of your guys' and it's in a junkyard.

Now, you guys share what you find.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Treasures in the Junk Yard

Sadly there are no more pull a part yards around here....pisses me off
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Why on earth do they junk cars there that aren't rotted out?!!
      I think the GP had the factory wire wheels (rare) Thats what those things are I believe.

Comment

no you pull it yards here either, none I know of
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

That's it... I need to move to the southwest.

Anybody need a garage door, out there? I'll need some kind of income.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Memory Lane is out of business?? :o

Comment

Those origional Chrysler 400's are getting a bit harder to find. I could use some of that '70 Electra Sheetmetal(just for spares...I've got enough 455 Buicks...),Scotty ;). ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                x2 :'(
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
                  I think that is the case here too - all the yards I've been to, anything before '90 is questionable, before '80 forget it.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                    I think that is the case here too - all the yards I've been to, anything before '90 is questionable, before '80 forget it.
                    Same here. There is a pick apart but nothing older than mid 80's. The city is about 1 million people.

Comment

Comment

John - there's one down near the State Fair Grounds - I went there with my son last year. Mostly newer stuff and not a lot of American, however. G&D in Ypsi will let you pull your own but it's a pit - lots of mud! And that was when I moved - no idea if that's still the case.

Dan

Originally posted by milner351

Comment

taking squares
                          how long before D.F. is all over that mopar. and got title in hand ;D :D

Comment

If i had scrap yards with that kind of stuff,i would have lived there :o ;D.And thats a fact.Cant believe someone delivered that Monaco..

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis

I want the OLDS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X