Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What direction should I go with this thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What direction should I go with this thing?

Its a 71 Mustang sportsroof, it had a 351C 2v in it, 9" with 3.50 gears under it, and all the rust came with it. I paid all of $20 for this thing and drove it home, turned out it had a cracked head, cracked crank and that was the good part of it. The Mustang guys affectionately call it the "Pit of Despair" and it makes them all feel better about the Mustang they have.

Initially I intended to rebuild it and sell it back in 06-07, got the engine done and started on the body work in 05. Then in 06 my dad decided that my 67 Cougar was taking up space he could store junk in, never mind it was buried under his junk. So we got it up here and since it had no paint on it, and I cant leave a car I care about in such sad shape, I did it first. So the Mustang has sat since 05 in bare metal, and I get some welding/patching done on it every once in a while between other projects.

With the current frame off on the 65 GTO the Mustang has become a pain in the neck to work around, and its parts are all over the shop taking up space. In that time the market has dropped out of old cars, and this particular Mustang doesnt bring much money anyway. So that leaves me with what to do with the thing. Its too much for anyone with the common sense not to rebuild what isnt even a decent parts car, so I cant sell it like it is. I am forced to finish this thing, but I dont know what to do with it.

The only options that are out is a full on restoration, this thing is too far gone for that much attention and expense, plus nobody would want it like that, and pro street/tube frame. Im not made of money so figure a budget of $800-$1400 per month I could spend on it, depending on the month.

What should I do with it? What direction or theme? It was originally dark metallic green so what color?

Re: What direction should I go with this thing?

wasted , but cool
    neat body style and the bbf bolts in , my buddy jim martin used to tear up d/sa in a 71 super cobra jet

Comment

Never been a fan of that body style. Curious how it turns out.

Comment

Street freak....
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

go with the green put a 5 speed behind a 460 put 3.25 gears in the 9in.
          and a parchute ;)
          terry

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
            So am I, and thats why I want to know what to do with it. Corner carver? Street/strip beast? Cruiser? Build the snot out of it and run it at Maxton with a twin turbo Cleveland?

what should I do with the thing?

Finding a 5 speed that would live behind a 460, and then getting all the clutch stuff together would be a pain, then I wouldnt be able to drive it anyway. The ol knees wont take the beating a clutch gives them. So it will be auto no matter what.

Comment

It is just a big wedge. I would go with land speed racing.

Comment

People think that the Fastback's are terriable looking...they've obviously never seen the Coupes. Me,personally I like the Fastback. Landlord has a White one with a 250/C4,with a Blue Vinyl Gut. ~J/W.

Comment

Something about that just clicks for me.

Comment

road race the wee out of it. Nice part is you won't have much more to remove to lighten/strip it.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Get it looking decent, find a deal on a running 460 and C6 and poke it in. Cheap, fun to drive.

I like the fastbacks. Good enough for James Bond-good enough for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                        road race the wee out of it. Nice part is you won't have much more to remove to lighten/strip it.
                        Funny you say that, I have been adding to it the last few years. Full floor, the entire engine bay except for the shock towers, quarters, wheel houses, fenders, doors, cowl.... the list goes on and on. Between this one and the 65 GTO I might have a complete car. At least this one doesnt need the window channels rebuilt.

I've kinda been leaning towards a 408ci Cleveland with 4V heads and a built C4 or AOD, leave most of the interior out, and paint the entire car inside and out HOK Organic Green with a silver or gold base. Then part of me wants to go metallic blue similar to my Formy in the sig. The hey lets do something different part of me says burnt orange or copper with a flat black hood and flat black Mach 1 stripes. Without a direction and a goal for it, I dont have that burning desire to finish it other than to get it out of the way. Hence the dilemma.

If I could find a decent 460 I would stuff it in, but with aluminum heads. That is the other idea that has been bumping around up there, I have 3 C6s that would fit it, but Im not sure about the 460 that was in my dads van, it might be gone and its in Nebraska. Switch to manual steering so I dont have to deal with finding PS brackets for the Mustang and then its only engine mounts that are the stopper, relatively easy to find.

It was stripped down to less than a bare shell, and I still have to make some parts for it by hand because some parts arent available in repro.

Comment

3208 caterpillar.

awesome. and side pipes.
                          ;D
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                            3208 caterpillar.

awesome. and side pipes.
                            ;D

You have me laughing so hard I am coughing... thanks man.. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
                              Originally posted by 67prostreet
                              So am I, and thats why I want to know what to do with it. Corner carver? Street/strip beast? Cruiser? Build the snot out of it and run it at Maxton with a twin turbo Cleveland?

what should I do with the thing?

Finding a 5 speed that would live behind a 460, and then getting all the clutch stuff together would be a pain, then I wouldnt be able to drive it anyway. The ol knees wont take the beating a clutch gives them. So it will be auto no matter what.
                              all of the above
                              goes fast turns and stops would be cool ya not my fav boddy but that makes it beter to mess with lol

Comment

Working...
                              X