Favorite TV drag racing announcer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite TV drag racing announcer

Ok, I finally got to watch a bit of the Pomona coverage from the NHRA race this past weekend. Is it must me, or are the annoucers today lacking something their predecessors had?

Who is your favorite all-time TV (not on the track PA, because I know Bruab would win that in a landslide) drag racing announcer? Think back to the old ABC's Wide World of Sports as well as the TNN/Diamond P days and the present stuff on Speed and ESPN. Give it some thought and share some stories.

Ron
    Dave MacClelland
    100.00%
    Steve Evans
    0.00%
    Bob Frey
    0.00%
    Bret Kepner
    0.00%
    Paul Page
    0.00%
    Army Armstrong
    0.00%
    Other (please identify)
    0.00%
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: Favorite TV drag racing announcer

The one guy on the list I never got the chance to meet. Evans.

So comfortable, so good, made it seem like he wasn't even working. None better in my opinion.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dave by a nose.

Steve is an icon, but I always thought Dave was
      just a little better.

Comment

5 out of the 6 do an excellent job so I voted for Paul Page who doesnt ;D ;) Comes down to Steve or Dave.Time to flip a coin or vote other for a local guy. :o

Comment

Steve Evans, it is so linked to drag racing in my head. I like seing him in heart like a wheel.

Comment

He was also in "More American Graffiti"

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Brian,

Did you ever get the opportunity to listen to Bernie Partridge do his thing? Steve, as well as the rest of us announcers, owe alot to that guy. He was a pioneer and a professional.

Ron
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

They have drag racing on TV? Wow and all I thought was on it was turn left and follow your tail in a boring shaped multi colored bean for 3 hours.

Its been a while since I watched much TV.. years.

Really, Im not kidding.

Comment

Evans was great, but he's dead.
                  Bob Frey is funny as hell, and damn knowledgeable, too.
                  However, he has a face fit for radio - and that's why he does the non-pro broadcasts.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Steve was the greatest, and I like big Mac too. But Bob Frey is so damn funny, one of the few good things to come out of Jersey.......excluding Spidey!
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Steve Evans hands down. He was the best during the Diamond P era. Nowadays, Paul Page is ok, but Dunn just grates on me.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I do like Bob Frey, and Army Armstrong sells funny car bodies http://www.nostalgiafunnycarbodies.com/ but Evans was the man

Comment

bezerko bob

Comment

Bret Kepner is a TV announcer too???

I only knew him as a good friend of the Huber family, and later found he was somewhat of a Bonneville historian; then he got us an invite into the Bernstein/Budweiser trailer at the St. Louis NHRA races a few years ago (and I don't mean the "Budweiser Special Fan tent" I mean, we were in the back of the toter home chilling out with Brandon and his dad...)

I knew he did some great announcing every time the Turbo 4 does it's thing at Gateway, but was unaware he did anything on TV. How cool! he's a nice guy. And funny! "This is the guy your mother warned you about!! Jonny Huber!" haha

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Bret Kepner is a TV announcer too???

I only knew him as a good friend of the Huber family, and later found he was somewhat of a Bonneville historian; then he got us an invite into the Bernstein/Budweiser trailer at the St. Louis NHRA races a few years ago (and I don't mean the "Budweiser Special Fan tent" I mean, we were in the back of the toter home chilling out with Brandon and his dad...)

I knew he did some great announcing every time the Turbo 4 does it's thing at Gateway, but was unaware he did anything on TV. How cool! he's a nice guy. And funny! "This is the guy your mother warned you about!! Jonny Huber!" haha

Bret does the ESPN2 coverage of NMRA and NMCA. Check him out on "The Deuce!"

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X