A Local Legend Discovered ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Local Legend Discovered ...

So I met this older gentleman that has been coming to the shop that I recently started running for the past few years. His name is Jimmy Olson and he has been friends with the owner of the shop since clear back in the early 70's. They both worked at several of the metro area Chevrolet dealerships as mechanics (not techs like nowadays) together.

Jimmy and I have now struck up a friendship, and with recent discussion lately of The Winter Nationals, he starts telling me about his days in the fuel wars. Over the course of about three weeks, he takes me from the mid fifties, all the way until he hung up racing for good in the early seventies.

Jimmy is from Fanning Kansas and moved to Denver in the early 50's as a teenager. He hung out at all the area speedshops of the day, building several different hotrods and race cars along the way. We have literally talked for days about his hotrods and specifically the A/Fuel dragster he built and raced with Dave Scholz doing the driving. He brought me an old photo album filled with hundreds of photos, racetrack programs, divisional records and general memorabilia that I'm sure has never been seen before. He is the real deal...he tears up thinking of the good old days.

As I get time, I'll be removing the photos from the album and scanning them into my computer to preserve and be able to share this small piece of history. The flip side is that I want to reorganize and preserve the originals for Jimmy and his family for the future. I'll post them up as I get time, for everyone here to see FIRST....

Here's a few I've scanned so far:

This is his A/Fuel car (Mark Williams Chassis) that he built in the mid to late 50's. Mark Williams at the time was located at 919 Decatur St in Denver Colorado.

This is the same car with driver Dave Scholz behind the wheel. Jimmy is pretty sure this photo was taken at Great Bend Kansas. The car was powered by a 364 cubic inch small block chevy and ran on 100% nitro with a whiff of benzahydrine(?), someone correct me on that, I'm sure I got the spelling wrong.

*** EDIT....This isn't the same car as Jimmy's, this is actually Mark Williams' personal "top eliminator" car with blown hemi power.***

This is one of his last hotrods that he finished in the late 60's to early 70's. He has 50 to 60 snapshots, as he calls them, of his T bucket, that document the build.......

Stay tuned.....

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: A Local Legend Discovered ...

wow! can't wait to see more

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Neat - thanks for sharing Bam -
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        wow! can't wait to see more

X2
        Originally posted by TC
        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

It's great to get to know an old-timer, for sure. I'm old enough to almost be an old-timer but have pretty tame experiences to share. I'm also young enough to run into guys a older than I am who can share their experiences - and I cherish it when I do.

Dan

Comment

Sweet, sweet T!!
            President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Now thats a T bucket!

Comment

Keep them coming, please.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ghustler

Now thats a T bucket!
                  Kinda Munsterlike -
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Let me set the record stright here....Jimmy Olsen was a newspaper reporter back in the day, worked with Lois Lane and Clark Kent........OK OK

That wheels up picture is prolly the coolest shot of a dragster i have ever seen, that is just badass, think i will steal it for puter wallpaper, too cool
                    Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

i love a good T bucket...that is friggin awesome...the dragsters aint bad either
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Just hold on guys, there is a butt load more double throw down bitchin' dragster shots.....

I'm working on this as fast as I can, I just had to spill the beans with what I have so far. Jimmy is a total gem, kinda the grandpa I never had.

Comment

the pic of the rail on two wheels is awesome.
                          It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Personally, I think this is worthy of being a blog/gallery item on the front page - you should talk to the bosses here....that is if your friend is OK with it.

Comment

This is actually a color enhanced reproduction that was done about ten years ago to show the color of the digger.

These are all pics of Jimmy's car with Dave Scholtz driving. I say Jimmy's car because the only thing Dave Scholtz contributed to the effort was the rear wheels and slicks yet Jimmy gave him full credit since he was doing the driving.

Jimmy had built a gas car prior to this and somewhere around the third pass he made, the rear end broke spinning the pinion. As it came around, it compressed his head, neck and spine into the roll bar resulting in a pretty serious injury. He decided not to drive after that as he could not fit comfortably into anything other than a door car. I'll get the pics of that car up next.

All of these were taken at either Platte Valley Dragway (Julesburg, CO), Continental Divide Raceway (Castle Rock, CO) or Great Bend KS.

Comment

Working...
                              X