2000 Plymouth tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Plymouth tune up

A friend has asked me to do a tune up on their 2000 Plymouth Neon. It's running rough and they haven't had it worked on for quite a while. I have no problem doing the basics (plugs, plug wires, filters and fluids). Do these cars have any thing special to watch for? Any idea what makes them run rough?

Re: 2000 Plymouth tune up

Yep. Leaky head gaskets are an ongoing "issue" (problem). So do the normal checks for that.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Rustang
      A friend has asked me to do a tune up on their 2000 Plymouth Neon. It's running rough and they haven't had it worked on for quite a while. I have no problem doing the basics (plugs, plug wires, filters and fluids). Do these cars have any thing special to watch for? Any idea what makes them run rough?
      They are good at eating coils, too.
      Look for oil in the plug wells, if there is oil on the plug wires,
      then replace the valve cover gasket, and the plug well seals.

Use Champion plugs(prefferably platinum) as they are oem
      for the car. Use good quality wires, and use a dab of dielectric grease
      on the plug boots, towers, and a very small amount of anti sieze on the plug threads.

Comment

I can't recall if these are belts or chains.... I think it's a belt - and if so - you should check it's condition and see if it has stretched - if the belt doesn't look good cracks, chunks of the ribs missing, etc - replace it!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          I can't recall if these are belts or chains.... I think it's a belt - and if so - you should check it's condition and see if it has stretched - if the belt doesn't look good cracks, chunks of the ribs missing, etc - replace it!
          It's a belt. Recommended to be done every 60k.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm honestly not sure if it's had the timing belt changed but I would guess not. I'll check it out when I'm in there.

Comment

Working...
            X