What Ever Happened to Chrondek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Ever Happened to Chrondek?

The "Local Legend" thread reminded me - what ever happened to Chrondek? They were IT for many years of dragstrip timing and I haven't seen their logo at a track in years. For all I know they are still doing it and just don't have their name everywhere.

I know I could look it up in Wikipedia but where's the fun in that?

Dan

Re: What Ever Happened to Chrondek?

What a great question Dan !!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Don't have a clue, but here's a cool sticker for you. ;D

Comment

Founder Olly Riley sold the company to Art Hayward in the 80's. Hayward sold the company to another in the 90's. A guy from Denver - I believe a computer guy - developed an entirely computer-based system for timing and scoring drag races. It was quite expensive but pretty much flawless. Chrondek owner remained happy with selling a few new units and servicing the old ones which were EVERYWHERE.

Ultimately - think in the 90's - Chrondek became a division of the digital compnay.

BTW ... at one time there were 3 drag race timer companies ... Chrondek, Fosdick and Crocker.

Jon Lundberg, ASA
        Jon W. Lundberg, Sr., RETIRED

Comment

Yes ^^^^, but I can't come up with his name right now....I think he lives up north in Ft Lupton. Looks like I have more research to do for you Dan.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

nixies forever!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought I was the only one who remembered Nixie tubes!

I sent a letter to the only person I could find online with any relationship to Chrondek and we'll see what he writes back - IF he writes back. He seems to be the last person on Earth who will fix your old Chrondek system. He says he has the calibration rig, schematics, etc. to do the job.

Jon - thanks for your input. MUCH more than I knew before. It's great to have sharp people on here.

Dan

Comment

I wear my Nixie watches enough to remind me what the tubes are
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lundberg
                  Founder Olly Riley sold the company to Art Hayward in the 80's. Hayward sold the company to another in the 90's. A guy from Denver - I believe a computer guy - developed an entirely computer-based system for timing and scoring drag races. It was quite expensive but pretty much flawless. Chrondek owner remained happy with selling a few new units and servicing the old ones which were EVERYWHERE.

Ultimately - think in the 90's - Chrondek became a division of the digital compnay.

BTW ... at one time there were 3 drag race timer companies ... Chrondek, Fosdick and Crocker.

Jon Lundberg, ASA
                  Cool info Jon, thanks!

Currently Compulink is the big name but there are two others. Porta-tree has a few tracks running their system and TSI also has a couple of tracks on their stuff as well.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

As promised, here's the response from the guy who does repairs on the old Chrondek equipment - at least, certain models. A bit more of the puzzle pieces.

Dan

Hi, I do not know the exact date but Chrondek was bought by Daktronics (the scoreboard manufacture) somewhere in the 80's.. They pretty much milked the old design for all it was worth and never updated anything. Finally by the end of the ninety's they got tired of servicing the old stuff and stopped selling track timers completely. There service record is very spotty since then, sometimes they will help and sometimes they don't but when they do you better hold on to your wallet (or try).

We are now gearing up to take over all service for the C33 and C44 lines and have stocked the required obsolete parts. Watch for changes on my website soon.
                    If someone needs help please pass this on J

Thankx for asking!
                    Jeff
                    Jmayes Engineering
                    (865) 567-1313
                    (Jmayes.com)

Comment

Brian, the name you are looking for is Bob Brockmeyer. He founded and is still operating Compulink Timing Systems in Colorado.

Next time you see him, ask him why his timing systems are DOS-based instead of Windows-based. You will get a really cool breakdown on what "clean" AC power is and why Windows is unable to accurately keep track of time because of it.

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I know Bob and Jeff Foster, not extremely well, but enough to say, "hey!" at the races when I see them.

Jeff is a good guy who's done everything in drag racing....a couple times.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I have never had a chance to announce at a track with a Chrondek timing system. I think George Ray's still uses one. I have, however, announced at US 131 and Milan with their TSI systems. It takes a bit to get used to the interface, but I do like how the TSI system holds a lot more driver info on the screen.

Outside of mudbog racing, I have yet to see a Porta Tree system in use.

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                            Next time you see him, ask him why his timing systems are DOS-based instead of Windows-based. You will get a really cool breakdown on what "clean" AC power is and why Windows is unable to accurately keep track of time because of it.
                            I hope that was a mistake, and he's not really trying to tell people that, because there's no way the operating system is going to differentiate clean power from dirty. That, to me, sounds like a "Let's see if I can bullshit someone" kind of answer.

If he was concerned about not using shit for an operating system, he'd have been running something Posix compliant 20+ years ago(Linux, BSD, etc.).

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott,

Here is how it was broken down to me:

Fluctuations in AC power can cause a Windows based operating system's clock to speed up or slow down based on the actual voltage of supplied to the system. DOS is a real-time based program and can offer much more precise tracking of time than can Windows. I was also told that because classes like NHRA's Pro Stock category qualify 20-30 cars for a 16 car show that an error of +/- .0001 sedond can make the difference between a qualifier and an also ran.

I do not speak from my knowledge of how electronics work, only that which I was told by a very reputable source.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X