• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Ever Happened to Chrondek?

Originally posted by Ron Ward
    Scott,

Here is how it was broken down to me:

Fluctuations in AC power can cause a Windows based operating system's clock to speed up or slow down based on the actual voltage of supplied to the system. DOS is a real-time based program and can offer much more precise tracking of time than can Windows. I was also told that because classes like NHRA's Pro Stock category qualify 20-30 cars for a 16 car show that an error of +/- .0001 sedond can make the difference between a qualifier and an also ran.

I do not speak from my knowledge of how electronics work, only that which I was told by a very reputable source.

Ron
    I'll have to do some research on that. The "clocking" should all be done at the hardware level - maybe squirrel can chime in here!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Porta-Tree's system is windows based. Just throwing that out there.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

windows is a dos based system..
        so.. it clocks off dos..
        it's just a graphic way to use computers without the language involved
        it's just WUSIWUG

Comment

Yeah. What those guys said. I'm sticking to my MAC/LINIX system - but that doesn't further this discussion at all. The Chrondek repair guy may have some further input on this if someone wants to Email him.

Dan

Comment

They're obviously not using the CPU oscillator as the time base for the timing system, there's a "real" oscillator somewhere in it, right?

so it should not matter what OS the thing runs on.

btw here's my brother's atomic nixie clock

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I announced the opening day at New York National Speedway in 1966. Gil Kohn had purchased an ostensibly "computer-based" system from an outfit called "DIGI-TIMER". It was very much ahead of it time. System worked great until about 10:00AM when the sun came shining through the NYNS tower windows, heated-up the interface and it FRIED!
              Jon W. Lundberg, Sr., RETIRED

Comment

Gotta give Bob Brockheimer major props for a quantum leap in raising the bar qwith respect to draq race timing & scoring.
                Jon W. Lundberg, Sr., RETIRED

Comment

Just a point of interest. TSI Timers was founded by Tom Haggin who was actually an employee of Chrondek. Judging by the literature he got fed up with the company and split ways. In fact there's some distinct similarities between Chrondek and TSI systems.

Comment

Sounds like Chrondek became sort of a red-headed stepchild after a few mergers and buyouts. That kind of leaves the door wide open for someone to step up with a better mousetrap.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X