flat four at bonneville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat four at bonneville?

I searched the net, and you tube, and of course nothing. Is there anyone with an elite subscription that can tell me any flat four history at bonneville?
    I dug up alot of stuff about the engine, I want to continue about performance history.
    Those that know what it can do, do it..but no bonneville?
    I find this hard to believe.
    I find 3 main bearing antique inlines before I do not find a 3 main boxer...and the boxer is correct with it. :
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Re: flat four at bonneville?

I love the racing at Bonneville but I don't know the history of individual engines raced there. Maybe try to find the class designation for the flat fours, then the record holders for those classes.That might get you some where to start looking for some flat four salt history. I do know for a fact I have seen VW's and Porches on the salt. Hope this helps....
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Best bet is to log onto the forum at landracing.com, and ask there.
      It's the clearinghouse for all things land speed racing.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

you need to re-define your quest... I have no idea what a flat four is....

There is a ton of VW racers at Bville... and we even have a world wide 36hp challange.... but I'm just not sure what a boxer is...

Keith

Comment

Its a guy that puts the BIG Gloves on his hands, and tries to beat up the other guy, before he gets beat up , then he has to be fed his meals with a Straw for the next month after.
          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

u r a bus (subaru) flat four , is a boxer, think old porshe might be too..
            no idea what ones are 3 main bearings

Comment

I think you're right, Beags. At least that's the term I've become familiar with. If Boxer is asking about Subarus - I'm sure someone has run one but none come to mind right now.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                Says the guy with a BMW? !?
                Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lots of light aircraft use boxer engines....air cooled usually....looks like it would work well on the salt, with all that speed providing all that cooling air....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I should be in that pic but I don't find me. I was in the inspection tent a LOT with Dan Warner but I must have been in the john or something. That was a cool belly tank but I guess I never looked under the lid.

Dan

Comment

no matter HOW many main bearings, these poor motors - great pieces, really - are stuck competing with the likes of the 4G63, B20, and 2JZ as they're all lumped together by the SCTA.

Few boxers can make reliable 1000+ hp, so they don't hold a ton of records unless they're in a class by themselves.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      no matter HOW many main bearings, these poor motors - great pieces, really - are stuck competing with the likes of the 4G63, B20, and 2JZ as they're all lumped together by the SCTA.

Few boxers can make reliable 1000+ hp, so they don't hold a ton of records unless they're in a class by themselves.
                      why would a 4 banger be in the same class as inline 6's

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                        Originally posted by dieselgeek

why would a 4 banger be in the same class as inline 6's
                        because they're based on displacement. Not number of cylinders. They lump the 2.016-3.014 displacement groups together.
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Maybe the old Subies had three? My '64 MGB was a 3 main 4 banger and the later ones got 5 mains. Not a "Boxer" of course. Mine seemed to hold up OK but I guess when breathed on heavily they needed a better bottom end.

Dan

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, I believe a Corvair holds a scta record on the salt, and all 'vair engines are "flat" engines like VW's. That's my 2 cents worth. Paul.
                            drives a stick.

Comment

actually .... I know about the "Boxing Guy".... ( it's like when I sneak up behind you and Box your ears right??? )

I do own an Aprilla Motorcycle...with Blue and white roundels.... but it's a Single.. and it was Simply Made for BMW...

( I will also admit to trying to buy another BMW that had 2 cylinders, and driving to Orlando only to have the bike be an incredible POS... )

I've seen that Belly tank... Hmmm....

K

Comment

Working...
                              X