Metal fab guys - where can I buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal fab guys - where can I buy...

weld-able steel balls about 1" in diameter?

At a bearing supply place maybe? This is for a metal sculpture project the wife is working on...
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: Metal fab guys - where can I buy...

You really need to find someone with a lathe to build them for you Scott....

Easy stuff for someone who is clued in.... ( not me )

How many do you need? and how perfect do they have to be?

K

Comment

very imperfect is fine by me.

hmmm, what a great excuse to pick up a little lathe...!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Do they need to be solid? You cold make a form and spin form them in halves and weld them together. Or make a buck in steel or wood and hammer form them.

Or maybe these? http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.as...pheres*20317@@

Look around that site, they have several options for balls and spheres

Comment

MSC Industrial, McMaster Carr both have them.

Comment

And yes, most bearing suppliers can get 'em too.

Comment

I thought bearings were high in carbon and other alloys which would make them very hard to weld. I didn't realize there's a market for weldable balls that a supplier would actually be able to order them.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
                I thought bearings were high in carbon and other alloys which would make them very hard to weld. I didn't realize there's a market for weldable balls that a supplier would actually be able to order them.
                I've seen a lot of places online selling "low carbon steel balls"

I was kinda hoping someone would say "Your ACE hardware might have them"

Baum Iron is very near my work, they'll probably have them.

What's funny is, they're for a metal sculpture of a pair of "storks" that my wife has me tacking together. It's been a great warmup exercise with a cutoff wheel, a cheap air nibbler, and a simple little flux core welder that I got for christmas. Just gotta figure out the "head" for the birds now, and she wants a steel ball about 1" in diameter.

Maybe pictures later. Guys like Loren and Ron Ward would laugh though :-)

Comment

Scott, I doubt they will laugh (don't forget Mike Casella, either). Surprisingly, I'll wager they weren't born knowing how to do what they do and had to learn, too. Probably with a stork sculpture or something similar. I've been doing this stuff for years - and still suck at it.

Dan

Comment

McMaster-Carr ships stuff seconds after you order it. We always get stuff the next day. Once I got something the same day! They have a good website too

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
                      McMaster-Carr ships stuff seconds after you order it. We always get stuff the next day. Once I got something the same day! They have a good website too

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
                      That website is pure evil.....Damn you Dave!!

SEth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

It's the first place I go for everything.
                        Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Everything??

Hmm.....That explains alot.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

pinball surply...
                            hell jim more than likely has a few rolling around his garage/shop

Comment

Originally posted by seanm
                              Do they need to be solid? You cold make a form and spin form them in halves and weld them together. Or make a buck in steel or wood and hammer form them.

Or maybe these? http://www.kingmetals.com/Default.as...pheres*20317@@

Look around that site, they have several options for balls and spheres
                              King architectural rocks!!! The main hub is 10 miles from my house and they have everything. I am up there once a month if not more it is one of my contractor secrets (how does he get that stuff?). If you are starting craft/projects you need one of their phone book sized catalogs. Mostly they have decorative iron work for fences and gates.

Steve
                              Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Working...
                              X