• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dad's truck

89 gran mark 460k
    71 c 10 510k waterpump/alt/ and general p/m's
    2004 z71 290k u joints
    D/G'S dodge has has to have more than that done to it... in 350k no injector issues, no ujoints/seals, axle half shafts(or don't u use 4 wd)
    most cars truck last it taken care of from day one..
    most don't even know what that entail

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
      Walt, my IDI is the same way....keeps on going with 374K on it.

My old reliable is the Camaro...I remember it when my folks bought it new, me and my two brothers learned to drive in it, I restored it once with my old man in '82....HUGE memories!
      Is this IDI in the F250 you ice raced?

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
        Originally posted by Bamfster
        Walt, my IDI is the same way....keeps on going with 374K on it.

My old reliable is the Camaro...I remember it when my folks bought it new, me and my two brothers learned to drive in it, I restored it once with my old man in '82....HUGE memories!
        Is this IDI in the F250 you ice raced?
        The very same one. I added a Banks Sidewinder turbo kit and propane injection to it around 240K. I will have to admit, a factory replacement engine was put in it very early in it's life ... around 24K IIRC. I've rebuilt the trans twice and front suspension three times.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My blue bomber Montego. I paid $800 for this thing in 1996 because I needed some cheap, fun transportation. At the time it had 120K miles and I figured if I could get a couple of years out of it or until I saved up enough coin to buy a new car. Fast forward 16 years, it still runs with 180K and the biggest repair it's ever needed was a timing chain. It has never failed me in all those years and although I don't drive it much anymore, I hate to sell it simply because it's been so rock solid reliable. I hope I have the same luck with the Crown Vic.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
            89 gran mark 460k
            71 c 10 510k waterpump/alt/ and general p/m's
            2004 z71 290k u joints
            D/G'S dodge has has to have more than that done to it... in 350k no injector issues, no ujoints/seals, axle half shafts(or don't u use 4 wd)
            most cars truck last it taken care of from day one..
            most don't even know what that entail
            First set of u-joints in the driveshaft were replaced at 320,000 miles. I did that myself with a sledgehammer :-)
            OEM injectors were replaced with EDM stage 3 units EARLY, 6000 miles on the clock. Those remain to this day.
            I replaced an Injector pump at a cost of $600 last year, but it turns out the pump I removed was fine - the problem was a bad set of starter contacts that was causing the computer to reset when cranking... so I replaced the starter then too ($180).

Let's see, I've done a left rear axle seal replacement once - that takes 10 minutes - it was leaking into my rear brakes.

I also replaced the headlight switch, it wore out.

The trans was junk to begin with, 5th gear popped off twice in the first 10,000 miles - I have a friend who rebuilds NV4500s for AAA towing here in Omaha, I traded him a DFI install/tune for rebuilding my trans with a larger mainshaft, 5th gear out of a dump truck (wider gear), and whatever else he had to do - about $250 in parts. Trans has been great ever since.

So it's not been perfect, but it's never left me on the side of the road. I *think* my newest noise is a left front u-joint starting to go bad - it'll get replaced in the spring.

I replaced the clutch twice too. South Bend Clutch for the win!

that's all I can think of.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

My '95 GMC P/U, other than some front end work and some rust issues I've been putting off fixing (No cash), it's been dead nuts reliable. I plan on driving it long into the future, new cars suck.
              Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

My dad's 8N.
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

This Monte Carlo

<

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                    In November of 1993, my Dad took delivery of a brand new Ford F350 7.3 IDI, crew cab, extended bed. That truck has been from the east coast to the west coast, towed a trailer to Alaska and back, moved us from Monroe, MI to Cadillac, MI, and has been Dad's daily driver for 17 years. The only major parts it has gone through are three transmissions (one manufacturing defect, one blown cooler line drained the fluid, and one tq converter went band and pushed all the fluid out the front seal. 4 times.) Anyway, the whole reason for this rambling is today I pulled out a chevy van the was stuck in our front yard. As I was doing this, I realized that the truck has been the most constant inanimate object in my life. It was the first vehicle I ever worked on, the first car I drove, and the first car I drove alone. It is a vehicle that is the epitome of reliable. It has never failed the simple test of walk out, put the key in, and fire it up. It is alway there when it is needed. Does anyone else have a vehicle like that in their life?
                    3 trans .... oh yeah , IT's A FORD !!! you found the weak link

Comment

My 79 c10 has been in the family since new but with only 77000 on the clock with a 350/350 combo it should last until i'm dead. The closest to walt's post would be my 98 malibu 195,500 on it bought new buy my sister in law. I bought it from her at 100k and have done nothing but change the oil,fuel filter, a set of struts and mounts, and a set of plugs. I really don't like this car but it serves the pourpose every day. I really can't bitch about a $200 dollar car though.
                      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

borrowed the cavalier in 03 , when I puked the fuel pump in 400k mile grand prix
                        have not got around to returning it
                        217 k miles - original trans and atf

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          borrowed the cavalier in 03 , when I puked the fuel pump in 400k mile grand prix
                          have not got around to returning it
                          217 k miles - original trans and atf
                          and one sssswwweeeeeeetttt ride - I'm sure! :-)
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

it runs hard everyday -hahaha
                            kids are well taken care of and pride and ego are about gone

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              it runs hard everyday -hahaha
                              kids are well taken care of and pride and ego are about gone
                              I feel your pain - I really do

I drive a 1996 Toyota Camry to work every day. Everyone at my job sees the pictures on my office wall and expects me to drive a turbo viper or something... cool. I got the Camry for $1500. I told myself I wouldn't drive a new car until we get the wife's student loans paid off. Only 6-7 more years to go :

Comment

sounds good - now add some kids to the mix

Comment

Working...
                                X