Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

license plate in carry on luggage? TSA issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• license plate in carry on luggage? TSA issues?

Here's something I've not done before - I searched the TSA website and didn't come up with anything.

I'm flying to Florida this weekend and plan on taking my Michigan license plate with me to put it on the truck I'm buying and driving back home.

I'm wondering if anyone else here as flown with a license plate in carry on luggage - or - if you think I will get a big hassle about it - since - it's metal - and therefore could some how be used as a weapon in the eyes of the TSA????

I really don't want to pay the bag fee and deal with the hassle of check in luggage.
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: license plate in carry on luggage? TSA issues?

I would think it's a guarantee you will get shit for it.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
      I would think it's a guarantee you will get shit for it.
      X2 :-\
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Any chance you can get it in the mail today to the seller?
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm a frequent flyer... my bet is you won't get past security. It's metal, and could be used to cut someone. Strange, but plausible.

Save the hassle, and check your bag.
          Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

My advice = put it in checked baggage.

I have been flying to DFW once a month lately, and carrying oscilloscpes and wideband O2 sensors/controllers, and EMS parts, and tools - it's WAAAAAAY easier to just put it in checked baggage and let them look through it as they wish.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Probably worth the $15 to FedEx it overnight to your wife.

Comment

Go with Fed-x

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                1966 Plymouth Fury III
                2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

See - this is why I love this place.

My wife seems to think it will be no big deal.... my spidey senses were telling me otherwise.

I'm flying Spirit - it will cost $19 to check one bag - if I sent the plate out overnight - it will cost nearly that - so - I will check a bag.

That way - I can take some "side of the road" tools with me as well as the plate...
                  at least a 10mm wrench and a spare CP sensor so I can change that if it leaves me on the side of the road.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                    My wife seems to think it will be no big deal.... my spidey senses were telling me otherwise.
                    Yep, trust your Spidey sense on this one !
                    Where in Florida are you heading ?
                    ;)

Comment

I think Spidey is right on this one. TSA is NOT good at making judgments on the fly.

Dan

Comment

I'm flying into PBI, my folks are about 15 minutes from there.

The truck is up near Lakeland - I guess about 1.5hr N-NW from my folks place.

Comment

I'm flying Spirit - it will cost $19 to check one bag - if I sent the plate out overnight - it will cost nearly that - so - I will check a bag.

That way - I can take some "side of the road" tools with me as well as the plate...
                          at least a 10mm wrench and a spare CP sensor so I can change that if it leaves me on the side of the road.

Thanks guys.
                          Presuming your bag makes it to its destination.... FedEx your bag - it will be much more likely to get there - and you can get insurance to cover it if it doesn't....

New Truck? ummm, we need quite a few more details!!!!
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy

Thanks guys.
                            Presuming your bag makes it to its destination.... FedEx your bag - it will be much more likely to get there - and you can get insurance to cover it if it doesn't....

New Truck? ummm, we need quite a few more details!!!!
                            Ah Geeeeze! now you're making me paranoid! I've never had a problem when checking bags on spirit - this is a non stop flight - so, I'm going to trust them to do their job properly.

As for the truck....
                            For a $1000 difference - I'm going from a '97 supercab long 4x4 7.3 powerstroke XLT, up to a '01 crewcab long 4x4 7.3 powerstroke lariat.

Good news is the 01 is rust free, has all the options, wheels and running boards I want, new tires and shocks...
                            - bad news is - it's got 189k on the odo, and the bed has several dents in it - as does the tailgate - the driver's seat has some tears and the leather is about worn off the steering wheel.

Comment

I'm flying into PBI, my folks are about 15 minutes from there.
                              The truck is up near Lakeland - I guess about 1.5hr N-NW from my folks place.
                              Awwww .... Palm Beach International Airport is just a little to far away.
                              I presume you are driving back home up I-75 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X