Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A car that runs on ... *GASP* ... AIR ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A car that runs on ... *GASP* ... AIR ?!?!

I saw this on CNN yesterday while spending my day in the E.R.

http://www.allstatedaily.com/air-car...8500-to-10800/
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Re: A car that runs on ... *GASP* ... AIR ?!?!

Neat concept, and you'd be able to fill up at gas stations too. The ones that still have air compressors anyway. I wouldn't drive it though.

Comment

That's a cool concept, I wouldn't mind having one for the wife to commute the 10 blocks she drives each day. It would be great if they could classify it like a scooter or something and wouldn't need a license for it.

Comment

That's cool, just come home, hook it up to your compressor to fill it up, which gets it power from the 2-pole hookup, which comes from the magic pole in the street, which gets its power from a big ol' coal/oil/etc. burning power plant. But hey, at least using the air car would avoid burning fossil fuels right? :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
          That's cool, just come home, hook it up to your compressor to fill it up, which gets it power from the 2-pole hookup, which comes from the magic pole in the street, which gets its power from a big ol' coal/oil/etc. burning power plant. But hey, at least using the air car would avoid burning fossil fuels right? :
          man you take the funn out of everything :D

Comment

I call BS on this one, and I don't mean BangShift. Imagine an air tank that would fit in that thing and holds the equivalent of 4-5 gallons of gasoline in air pressure... I don't see getting that sort of pressure even if you resort to liquifying the air, and imagine what a fully charged one would do in a crash.

Comment

pat boone (yea THAT pat boone) was hyping it up big time, saying it can do 80mph but could only go about 15 miles if you drive it like that, or drive it like a sane person (who wants to do that) and go 50-60 miles on a tank of air
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Um... dont all the cars powered by ICE run on air? Fuels are just the catalyst to burn the O2 in the air, right?

Comment

compressed air = horribly inefficient - the end.... But hey, the happy little green people could think they are doing the world a service by using it as their own car would not release any polutants (they tend to forget about the energy used upstream of them - in this case used to compress air which is NOT an efficient process no matter how you do it)

Comment

So what the hell am I supposed to do with the car I just bought off criagslist that runs on water?
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I suppose if you really wanted to be green you could use a bicycle tire pump.....you might be able to pump it upto 60psi in an hour or so. Maybe get you a mile down the road, get your pump out and do it again. Or you could tape some ballons on it and let the air out of them.
                      Originally posted by TC
                      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Not a new concept. Had one of these when I was a kid. Man, would it scream when hooked to the air compressor.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
                          compressed air = horribly inefficient - the end.... But hey, the happy little green people could think they are doing the world a service by using it as their own car would not release any polutants (they tend to forget about the energy used upstream of them - in this case used to compress air which is NOT an efficient process no matter how you do it)
                          Maybe, but they ciuld use a bicycle pump and get a workout while refilling the air tank. But they would need alot of air fresheners if they had any passengers. HAHAHA
                          OH YEAH
                          Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

There's always good ol child labor. My 3 year old thinks bike tire pumps are great fun, though I kinda think he'd get tired after a couple of miles ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
                              Not a new concept. Had one of these when I was a kid. Man, would it scream when hooked to the air compressor.

Yeah, I had one, too. Had long forgotten about it until I saw the pic. Thanks for the memories Ranger!

That thing was super. Problem was finding enough room to see how fast it would go. It didn't last long on a charge, though. But it sure was fun.

I wonder what else I don't remember without a jog....
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X