RIP Joe Vittone (the original EMPI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Joe Vittone (the original EMPI)

Joe Vittone, the co-founder of EMPI back in the 60s, passed this week at age 86. Anyone who has ever driven a modded VW owes the man a debt of gratitude.

A bit of the history of EMPI:

How to lower a Volkswagen Beetle, and other cool tricks to old school your air-cooled VW.

Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: RIP Joe Vittone (the original EMPI)

From the looks of it VWs don't seem to garner much interest here. That's too bad. It is a privelige to be the first (and possibly last) to comment. Maybe too many American V8s were unexpectedly beat-up by the little "peoples car" at the strip. If so, it was largely because of Joe. I have many Empi parts on my buggy and always appreciated the quality options they afforded. From short-throw shifters to simple e-brake cable shortening kits, Empi has helped me enjoy hours upon hours of reliable air-cooled fun while pissing off 4WD owners that thought the little green buggy couldn't follow them. Ha! I owe Mr. Vittone a debt of gratitude. Thanks Joe

Comment

There are a few guys on here doing VDub buildups. Mourning privately perhaps. ;)

cheers
      Ed N.
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I was saddened when Gene Berg passed away years ago, too. I've had a few old VWs and my parents have had dozens, of all types, and they are fun, but in general I didn't like how idiosyncratic (and unsafe) some of the design features were (for example, having the windshield washer fluid operated by pressure in the spare tire).
        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Working...
        X