Silver Bullet GTX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Bullet GTX

Good thing they never brought this to NY to Connecting Highway,they would of got their asses handed to them ;D

Re: Silver Bullet GTX

Originally posted by antmnte

Good thing they never brought this to NY to Connecting Highway,they would of got their asses handed to them ;D
    why?

was there tons of street driven cars in the late 60's running 10.3's or lower..

not the trailered cars I saw ever w end that show for race'n that where nothing but prostocks.. with lights..
    there wasn't tons of 10.0's cars in the late 80's the small tire idea wasn't even a idea, most the fast stuff had tubs and 4 links

Comment

cause the NYC big money street racers were buying actual sox and martin , holman moody , jenkins competition cars .....
      street racer turned pro stock racer ronnie lyles employed future hendrick motorsports engine genius randy dorton , first as a truck driver , then as a trainee engine builder learning from jake king and herb mccandless

Comment

everytime i see or hear about the silver bullet I get wood...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Foutains Ave. NYC- RIP. Detroit had nothin' on the crowd that raced there.

Besides, the cat in the hat built a little pony that ran with that thing on its home turf of Woodward Ave., and it was silver too ;D
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            cause the NYC big money street racers were buying actual sox and martin , holman moody , jenkins competition cars .....
            street racer turned pro stock racer ronnie lyles employed future hendrick motorsports engine genius randy dorton , first as a truck driver , then as a trainee engine builder learning from jake king and herb mccandless
            yes sir. the "mutt brothers". brooklyn heavy and others. these guys were SERIOUS and raced fort BIG MONEY.
            58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Indeed they did. I've been to a few of these 'races' back then,LOTS of 'Firepower' in Hand as well as underfoot :o. Saw my share of old beat up,Suitcases full of Ca$h as well. ~J/W.

Comment

I used to read about street racing at 'The Fount' and other NYC digs during the '80s in a mag called cars illustrated. What made it so good was the the guys, Like Tony Defeo and others who wrote for the magazine were actually out there racing their own cars and cars they were testing for the magazine. It was one of my favourite magazines of the time.

Comment

One of the things I ALWAY'S got a kick out of was the fact many of the New Yorker's raced LOTS of full-sized stuff,things like Buick Electra's/Le-Sabers/Cadillac Coupe & Sedan-D'Villes(which were local faves...),and just about anything in between :D! ~J/W.

Comment

The "Silver Bullet" then, was a marketing tool as well as an engineering test mule. In Addison's hands, with Chrysler's guidance, it took on a number of lightweight components, such as doors, hood, window glass, front crossmember and bucket seats, that pared 500 pounds off its production weight. The monster 487-cubic-inch Hemi V-8 under the super stock hood scoop was equipped with a 4.25" stroker crankshaft, oversize TRW pistons, Racer Brown camshaft, 10-quart oil pan and aluminum cylinder heads. Fuel was delivered to the twin Holley four-barrel carburetors via a Stewart Warner electric fuel pump, while Hooker headers directed exhaust to the four '68 Cadillac mufflers through 3" pipes. Transfer of power to the M&H drag slicks at the rear was achieved with a modified Torqueflite automatic transmission, while compliant front shock absorbers teamed with super stock rear springs to achieve the desired rearward weight transfer. The "Bullet" in full street trim could cover the quarter mile in 10.50 seconds at a speed of 132 mph. Not bad for a docile-looking Plymouth hardtop!
                    Today, the "Silver Bullet" is the proud possession of Mr. Harold Sullivan, a Mopar musclecar collector who tracked the car down and restored it from a state of considerable deterioration to its present pristine state. Harold found another GTX and built the "Silver Bullet II". He still races both cars!

Taking weight away from 487 cubic inches? there was a puny mind in the good stuff even back then apparently. :

today its the number 1 disease.

I have even tricked a 90hp subaru into 3000 freakin pounds for more power...
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                      One of the things I ALWAY'S got a kick out of was the fact many of the New Yorker's raced LOTS of full-sized stuff,things like Buick Electra's/Le-Sabers/Cadillac Coupe & Sedan-D'Villes(which were local faves...),and just about anything in between :D! ~J/W.
                      Yeah, back in those magazine stories there would be muscle cars and early Pro Streeters being blown off by full size luxo-barges packing all the nitrous they could squeeze in to the mill. Driven by guys who looked like Huggy Bear

Comment

scotty at peegee performance had a badass 68 electra 225
                        think he put the buick motor from that into a pro mod 90 regal

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                          silverbulletgtx.com......Good thing they never brought this to NY to Connecting Highway,they would of got their asses handed to them ;D
                          this thread has some serious potential (Spidey, Ironhead), I likey....hopefully we'll get Groucho, Dieselgeek. Tubbed Camaro and some of the other Michigan folk to engage....yeah I think I'll get a refill and throw another log on the fire 8)
                          a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            scotty at peegee performance had a badass 68 electra 225
                            think he put the buick motor from that into a pro mod 90 regal
                            This is true ! He built the motor in stg1dom's (member here) GS.That guy knows his stuff,the GS rocks!

Heres something to read ------

Comment

saw scotty roll the 90 regal pro mod at englishtown
                              damn good bracket racer too

Comment

Working...
                              X