Note to self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Note to self

Take care of them eyeballs!! No spares are available right now. I've been thru two cataract surgeries and one Lasik proceedure. The only time these glasses leave my head is when I'm driving or talking to someone.

Comment

I wore glasses from age 9 until I was 34, the USAF fixed my eyes for me as a christmas present so now I dont wear glasses. When Im in the shop I dont want to screw up the life changing thing the military did for me, so I go through lots of safety glasses. Getting laser surgery is freaky but now I am 20/13 in the left and 20/15 in the right. My aim improved too.

Comment

I've posted before about all my eye surgeries so I won't go into that right now, but let's say I feel your pain - and HAVE. Good luck, Jay and I hope it all works out.

Dan

Comment

I took a fast-ball dirt-clod off a sprint car to my left eye back in '96 or so, knocked me clean off my butt into the seats behind me. I sat up trying to figure out where the big guy was that clocked me, and what I might have done to him?

Then my date (now wife ) took a look at me and said "Come on, we need to get an ambulance, your eye is bleeding" I figured just a cut or something, no big deal. "No, on the inside, its filling with blood"

Ohhh...... okay then.

An ambulance ride and 3 doctors later, I'm informed my occular pressure (which is normally 12-18 ) is at 59. When it hits 60 they do surgery to relieve the pressure so the retina doesn't detach (which is really bad).

3 weeks of laying still in a dark room with both eyes closed as much as possible (no reading, no movies, etc to keep eye movement down ) and finally I start to see red on the left instead of black. Another week and I can distinguish between light and darkness. Week 4 and blurry people enter from stage left.

I'm fine now, Doc said there would be nothing to pop up in my old age as a result of this episode.

But I see things a little differently now. And safety glasses are a big part of my agenda. Teaching the little guys the same thing.

Be careful guys, the alternative ain't cool.

8)
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I used to use aircraft hydraulic fluid a lot...tearing down and rebuilding propellers you find that you may take a bath or two in it...one day, i did not have my glasses on and i had a very small ammount splash in my eye....talk about pain....i ahve had metal shavings that hurt less...and your eye hurst for days....I wear them all the time now...for everything....
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I had solder get in my eye while soldering an overhead copper joint. I was scared more than in pain , especially when I looked in the mirror and could see the piece of solder that had burned in. the whole time my safety glasses were hanging from my shirt collar.
              It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Years ago, I had just finished doing the brakes and bearings on my car trailer and the next thing was to load the car the next Day and take off for the Winternationals when the lug wrench slipped off of the last lug nut and came up and broke my glasses (real glass) and sent a sliver of glass into my pupil. Needless to say I was on the operating table that night and had to lay there and watch the Surgeon as he skillfully worked with his tools inside of my eye, he removed the sliver and stitched it back together. You think I wasn't a nervous wreck when he told me 2 weeks later he didn't like the way it was healing and he had to operate again! The car was flying so the Winternationals would have been great fun that year!

Comment

I use to have one of those old fashion type of safety glasses with the folding wire mesh side covers on the sides. When I would wear them while I was edging the lawn, my wife would....let's say, find them intriguing. I'd have to take a break from my duties to perform some other duties :
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                    I use to have one of those old fashion type of safety glasses with the folding wire mesh side covers on the sides. When I would wear them while I was edging the lawn, my wife would....let's say, find them intriguing. I'd have to take a break from my duties to perform some other duties :
                    How much for the Glasses?

Comment

Phil, these are totally you...

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Don't you just hate it when somone takes your picture and you're not expecting it!

Comment

Originally posted by 457Brodix
                          Originally posted by Huskinhano
                          How much for the Glasses?

That's a nice looking Nova in your Avatar
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

A few years back, I was grinding on a cast iron pipeline valve and hit it with an air hose to blow the shaving off. Bad mistake. Both eyes full of iron shaving hurts like hell. The Dr. clamped my head in a 'vise' and propped my eyes open with some sort of eyelid clamps, shot both eyes full of dye and operated for a couple hours digging my eyes out. I spent three days in the dark with no tv, books or anything to pass the time. The worst three days I ever had. I work in a machine shop and do wear safety glasses ALL the time but still get metal in my eyes a few times a year. I've had dremels, picks, magnets and who knows what else stuck in my eyes. But hey, I can still see!!

Comment

I wear regular glasses all the time, and knowing I go in and out of the shop/garage all day I just had them do the plastic safety lenses. But they're open on the sides.

I put a floor pan in the Duster this week, and kept getting grinder sparks... every now and then one would roll around in the inside of my lens while I was looking down at the work, or I could feel it bouncing around my eye lashes.

I finally stopped what I was doing, called Car Quest and went up and bought a nice full-face shield... something I had several years ago but died, and I never got around to replacing. BOY was that nice to have a full face shield again!

Amazingly, the only damage done was getting a hot welding spark right in my ear. Never heard anything sizzle that close to my brain before.

-Brad

Comment

I've had a small sliver in the eye, and also have taken out my contacts to see that they are covered in rust particles, and caught a pencil with my eye, but the WORST pain I have experienced was jalapeno pepper in the eye....

Years ago I was working in a restaraunt, and happened to be chopping jalapenos when a buddy of mine walked in the back door, we stood there chatting for a couple of minutes near the make up air fan and my contact lens dried out, I blinked and it came out. Being smart, I grabbed it, flipped it around in my fingers and stuck it back in..... Problem being, there was a little piece of jalapeno pepper now on the inside of the contact lens.... Quick trip to the hospital as I couldn't open my eye to get the contact lens and jalapeno chunk out, and needless to say, searing pain for a couple of days and for the next 2 weeks if I rubbed or touched my eye it felt like it was in there again.... Moral of the story - don't get freaking hot peppers in your eyes! (I'm just glad I hadn't started on the habaneros yet)

Funny thing - about 2 weeks ago I was filling my leaf blower with gas/2 stroke oil, splashed a bunch on my face & in my eye (don't ask), didn't hurt at all. Went in the house, pulled out the contact lens in that eye, tossed it, and didn't feel any pain.

All of mine are at least mildly amusing, my father in law lost an eye because of a floor jack coming apart while he was under a car, jack failed and parts came out, something got him in the eye and he completely lost vision & had many surgeries as a result.

ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTiON! (though you'll look like an idiot if you do in a kitchen ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X