Kids.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids.....

I don't know what it is about kids, but they seem to turn the corner around 9/10 years of age. I don't know how it is for some of you guys, but this little man has been making me proud lately, and I thought I'd share.

I used to think all the bad talking his mom did about being gone racing would have tanted his little heart, but lately he's been going to the shop at night (i get him home for dinner) he's been sweeping, and all kinds of stuff...just taking it on his own...when I first started taking him there the first thing he used to say was, whats for lunch, and when are we leaving.
    I've been working on a little project, and this little guy has been impressing me more than I can say, he is involved!
    It was our dinner conversation, and we finished the evening looking through my collection of 1990's hot rod magazines.
    I thought we would take the day off tomorrow and head up to Cedar Lake and see if they are racing this weekend, and he wants to keep working on the car.
    The little guy just went to bed and he now has carburetors on his mind...
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: Kids.....

How did you do that? Lemme know before April 25th ;D

Seriously, that's awesome. Good to see the future will have well-trained car geeks!

Comment

How did I do that?......I don't really know....I'm pretty amazed myself...
      I taught him how to walk, how to ride a bike....if i keep typing tears are going to start flowing...
      probably the main reason I'm staying home this year...
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

two comments
        1) wicked kool
        2) why isn't there a JR dragster being welded up?

Comment

That is SO GREAT! I lost my girls for 14 years and we'll never get those years back (their mother can really hold a grudge). They are in their 40s now but the bond isn't as strong as it ought to be. Love him and teach him - like you're doing. Tears are OK in my book.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            That is SO GREAT! I lost my girls for 14 years and we'll never get those years back (their mother can really hold a grudge). They are in their 40s now but the bond isn't as strong as it ought to be. Love him and teach him - like you're doing. Tears are OK in my book.

Dan
            Same thing happened to me, she disappeared in 01 while I was in the AF and I got 12 days total with them until 06 when the youngest came up here for the summer. Her keeping them from me was the most evil vile contemptuous thing that ever happened to me. This summer my daughters and I are building a car together, and we might do a go kart or something since their mom doesnt want to teach them to drive.

They do get to a point where they want to do things with dad, and they will get dirty in the shop and they want to know how things work, even girls do not just boys. I guess having a gear head dad rubs off.

Comment

You're lucky. I have 2 great kids. One college age and one starting college next year. But, neither one has any real interest in the gear-head routine. If my dad had been building 600hp muscle cars or serious bikes when I was a kid, you wouldn't have been able to beat me out of the shop - if for no other reason than to hope to get behind the wheel when it was done. We have other interests, and it's OK, but it would REALLY have been cool if my son were interested and we were wrenching together. Takes all kinds, though - and he's really a great kid. Can't have everything.

Comment

Not to get too deep on you, but whether or not that kid knows it, a large part ofwhat draws him to the garage is that he gets to be with dad. That and there is something that happens with young boys where they have a natural need for a male example and are naturally drawn toward a male that will give them some time and teach them.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Yep. That's about the age I started rounding off nuts with a Crescent on my bicycle :D

Comment

Originally posted by meatwagon
                    Yep. That's about the age I started rounding off nuts with a Crescent on my bicycle :D
                    I was ripping apart old Briggs & Strattons at 8, had rebuilt one at 9, and did my first V8 at 12. Did most of the work on the 390 dad stuck in his 76 F250 and bought my first car in June that same year. If you gotta know how it works you gotta know. Some people just want it to work and they dont care how it does. I think most of us are in the latter group and we were always taking things apart or trying to make them faster or better somehow.

Comment

Working...
                    X