Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of the country has the quickest street legal cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of the country has the quickest street legal cars?

Ok, my view is a bit biased because all the events the NMCA sanctions are east of the Mississippi, but I have a question to pose.

What part of the country do you all feel has the highest concentration of REALLY quick street-legal cars? Chicago? Philly? Houston? LA?

Give me some input as to where the baddest of the bad congregate.

Thanks,

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: What part of the country has the quickest street legal cars?

Detroit & Flint Michigan.

Brooklyn/Long Island NY.

Greenville/Spartanburg SC.

Charlotte NC.

Lots of extremely serious equipment in these areas.

Always have been. Hopefully, always will. -- 8)

Comment

definitly midwest area ,Chicago,St Louis,Indy
      Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

coming from the midwest, I think we do have some pretty quick stuff on the streets here because "street legal" here means "has doors, lights, and you have balls to drive it on the street"

Chicago has some impressive stuff. Detroit even faster IMO.

but as a travelling tuner the past couple years, I'll tell you the story of the most impressive street cars I have ever witnessed... it was a Tuesday last April, I was in New Jersey at a local 5.0 Mustang shop training the owner how to install/tune standalone EMS's. it was about midnight, just when I was ready to wrap it up and go crash at my hotel, the guy says, "where do you think YOU are going? We got to go out to see some 'friends' " (imagine the thick Jersey accent)... so we hop in his car and head out to where the four states meet (PA, NJ, NY and ??) I forget what the place was called.

I saw the baddest rides I've ever seen on the street. Sleepers that make Parish's truck look like the Frito Lay delivery van. I saw a shoebox Chevy with a little bit of tire under it, mufflers but you could tell it had a cam, I swear to god that thing hooked and ran mid 8s and brought home MONEY. There were at least 50 cars that all looked to be 8 and 9 sec cars, and big money was changing hands.

Was it safe? Nope. Sanctioned? nada. Scary? Yes! Badass? THE BADDEST. So my vote is for the northern east coast crazies. Those guys were still the most nutso I've ever seen on the street.

Some of the stuff Carl from Drag Week 05 showed us (videos) indicates that there might be similar hardcore street action in the central South as well (OK, TX). I know Kyle from 1320video has been brought to some of that action before as well. 8-sec streetcars are not fables down there.

-scott
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Scott,

As soon as I read the title I instantly thought New Jersey.

I'm with you on that.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Scott,

I have seen some of the cars from the Northeast. Stupid fast stuff on the street. I hope we get a bunch of them at the Atco race. Ferrucci, Schankweiler, Esterland, Cusamano, Cerminaro.... man, I could go on and on about guys from that area with fast cars. And those are just the guys who actually bring their stuff to the track! There are countless 8-second rides from the NY, NJ, PA area that go nowhere near a Compulink timing system...

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I believe the New york-Jersey Area then it would be the chicago-detroit area in a strong second. Alot of awsome street cars have come out of these areas in the past 15 to 20 years. I look forward to a Brand new season of Racing. If you have a bad ass street car and would like to show it off come try the True Street Class at ether a NMRA event or NMCA event you will have a great time. For rules for the class check out www.nmcadigital.com or wwww.nmradigital.com. Again take it of the streets and make out to the track were it's safe and legal.

Comment

I would have to agree... NY/NJ with midwest close behind. I took it off the streets years ago. At the power level that I'm at and the crazy fast cars that are on the street now it's just nuts to even consider running the streets.

Comment

Pittsburgh is pretty fast.
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I would say the south, but I am also biased, and have never been to NY/NJ area. And street car can be a subjective term. There are several 10.5 teams based within 30min. of the house. I have seen a few do some street racing a few years back.

Comment

I'll go with Chigagoland area.

Comment

Chicago is pretty wicked! I've been from Madison a couple times and saw some stuff that was made me about fill my boxers, running on the street.

Mike

Comment

I've seen alot of 8 and 9 sec street cars in Florida growing up. But, I moved to the Greenville, SC. area, and I am impressed with some of the Local Talent. Alot of Pro Mod Guys are living here in the area and they put some of these Engines on the Street. Low 7's. Full out Drag Cars that run at Comerce, GA. right across the Border. For some reason they like the little Cars with the biggest Engines you can put in them. Big Block Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z Cars everywhere. 572 Big Block Camaro's, Twin Turboed Vettes pushing 1100 HP, And some Stupid Fast 4 Bangers that can run with every Class Stated.

On Wednesday Nights at Hooters, there is the largest Motorcycle gatherings, upwards of a 1000 Bikes or more of all makes show up. And in the mix are Street Rods, Pro Street, Ricers, and Rats. Saturday's they just Drive all over Upstate South Cakalacky From Table Rock to Myrtle Beach. Alot of Old Cars and Trucks Just sitting in Auto Dealerships waiting to be Refinished, I know of 3 Antique Auto Lots here along HWY85 and others that are on back Streets. Alot of Low Riders and Boxed Chevies on the West Side of Town. I think Greenville was the Buick Riviera drop point (Everywhere) They build BMW Roadsters, the 5 Series, and the SUV here in Spartanburg, so half the Employees drive Convertabiles.

Some of the Prices are a bit steep for some of the Metal, but you can always find a few good deals.

Comment

I would say the Midwest ,,,,,,,,,, every September ;)
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I'm going to say Denver Colorado.
                              when the NMCA first started, they asked alot of people to join up, and when they sent me info I asked if their would be any events west of the Mississippi River.
                              Their answer was NO, because ALL the fast cars were east of the river.
                              somewhere, I still have that letter.
                              And I wouldnt join the NMCA if it was free.
                              Seriously thought of sending in some video of a '69 Camaro that was filmed at Bandimere Speedway (Elevation:6,000 feet).
                              after driving the car to the track, and then promptly zipping down the track at
                              7.95 @ 192 mph, the owner drove his car home.

Most of the national event drivers struggle at altitude,
                              But the people who live there really get their vehicles moving.
                              and their are alot of very quick cars in the mile high city.

Comment

Working...
                              X