Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olds cutlass 82-85 diesel

what is in one of these???

there is a real real clean one around here that needs a header panel only..

wouldv'e thought the olds 350 diesel was long dead

Re: olds cutlass 82-85 diesel

There are a couple forums where guys keep these engines alive... I think they're pretty cool, would make a good daily driver...

Little known facts about the olds diesel, but from what I understand - the only serious problem with them, was a lack of good fuel filtration and water separation in an era where fuel quality was terrible... supposedly they run great on today's fuel, you can add a cheap-o filter to them, and end up with a very reliable and economical (if not super slow) driver...

They say 90% of the problems came from getting water into the injector pump. They're also not that expensive to maintain from what I hear (injectors and pumps are inexpensive compared to other diesel engines)

-Scott
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the 260 diesel , those ran pretty good
      interesting trivia - first application of a serpentine belt at gm

another fun diesel was the vee six diesel in the fwd ciera and celebrity

Comment

it's a rustless white with marroon inter.. without any sun fad..
        so it's been garaged.. and old person car..
        needs a header panel... might grab it..
        runs great.. needs tranny line...

Comment

I don't know much about running the Diesel 350's on a Diesel cycle, but these blocks are highly sought after for gasoline performance Olds builds. My Olds buddy has shown me some pics of how stout the Diesel blocks were made - IIRC, they can be bored 0.125" over.

Comment

are any olds sought after ? unless it is mondello or dick miller or bill trovato
            I would like mine with out of production batten heads

Comment

I do remeeber the 350 diesel blocks being uber popular among the olds crowd....super stout, lots of olds drag guys running them in the day
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
                I don't know much about running the Diesel 350's on a Diesel cycle, but these blocks are highly sought after for gasoline performance Olds builds. My Olds buddy has shown me some pics of how stout the Diesel blocks were made - IIRC, they can be bored 0.125" over.
                Most any Olds block will go .125" over-the diesel blocks will go +.250". They also have big block main bearings.

Any clean rust free G-body is a score these days regardless of what motor it has. Buy it-put a Duramax in it!

Comment

Buy it and sell me the 5.7!!!I have been looking for one of these for a future project.Hopefully it will have the dx roller block with the micro injectors.They are not that slow.I had a cutlass ,83 I think in high school that I had turned the pump up on.I outran a 82 chevrolet highway patrol car with it!I did have a head start.It would do over 100 mph.

Comment

if it is a G body , it will be the 260

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

It could be either the 260 or 350.I have seen both and I serviced them under warranty.Damn I'm old.They also put the 260 in the deltas and park avenues.Regardless I have a 46 stude pickup that needs one.

Comment

Cutlass wagons got the 350.Had loads of theme over here.Remember the gas price here is super expensive,so alot of cars with the 350 disel where sold here.They lasted for 2 years or so,and then where ripped out and 350 olds gas engines where installed.i had 4 350 disels at one time.Couldnt give them away.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            the 260 diesel , those ran pretty good
                            interesting trivia - first application of a serpentine belt at gm

another fun diesel was the vee six diesel in the fwd ciera and celebrity
                            IIRC, GM was also talking about building a V5 diesel around then too. The reason stated was that one of the cylinders would be i the way for something. If they made a V5, they would gain the room. That would have been intersting.

One of my old bosses, a Germa engineer had an early 80's Caprice with the diesel. He liked it. He would mix a couple of gallons of gas in the tank on a fill up in the winter to keep the fuel from jelling.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

the last 350 diesel I worked on was in 1991
                              swapped a goodwrench motor in an 82 eldorado

Comment

Working...
                              X