Garmin... Yea or Nay???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin... Yea or Nay???

So I'm kind of fascinated at how well these things work.... but they are also incredibly distracting.... so like Cell phones I have a feeling they are dangerous as hell...

What say you guys?
    yes love it
    0%
    Nope ( what are they? )
    0%
    only for finding an address
    0%

Re: Garmin... Yea or Nay???

I dont have one, may get one for vacation and drag week. I know many people that just use google maps on their cellphone instead of a GPS unit.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I have only used one once on my trip to talladega for the spring race last year,but I found it very useful. I will get one for road trips.I still prefer a map but the navigation systems help with not missing turns. I was pretty sceptical when they came out,but after using one I will get one.
      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
        So I'm kind of fascinated at how well these things work.... but they are also incredibly distracting.... so like Cell phones I have a feeling they are dangerous as hell...
        I do not agree with your statement that they are distracting or dangerous, but of course that is just my view after using one for two years. After I saw how well they operated on Power Tour 2008, I purchased a Garmin NuVi 255W for $120 and only hook it up when I actually need directions.

With the touch screen it is very easy to operate and the voice commands means you do not even have to look at the screen to correctly follow the directions. Also, the color screen layout shows where you are in relation to the area map, the posted speed limit, what the next turn will be and how far away it is, in addition to how fast you are actually travelling. You can also request directions to area resteraunts, hotels, shops, etc.

Obviously, I voted in the "I Love It" category ...
        ;D

Comment

I've told this before, maybe on this forum.

I was hauling cars with my buddy before and he bought a GPS (not sure of the brand, probably the same thing).
          anyways we're in a crewcab dually with a big car hauler and 3 cars on it, everybody get's tired and goes to sleep , I keep driving all night letting my "gps angel" guide me, it's been all day and now all night, my eyes are tired and the sun starts to come up which is dangerous in itself b/c it's hard on the eyes, I'm just going by the gps on auto pilot ..'exit right 1/4 mile... exit right 600 feet, exit right 100 feet.... turn left at light...'
          right about then I hear somebody scream.."red light!".. and then everybody.. i just keep driving (couldn't stop) right through the light, luckily it was maybe 5:30 am and the road was vacant but it could have been bad, real bad.

That's my dangerous story, more user induced than anything, but still, it shows one problem with them when you have a "hero driver, super trucker" that won't stop driving when he should :P : ;D

Comment

I travel 5 states and drive over 50,000 a year and
            I started using a Garmin last year.

I know my territory and where all my accounts are
            but I like several features......especially the one that shows
            time and distance between towns. It's amazing how accurate
            the thing is........

and driving all those miles in my car alone it's
            nice to hear someones voice
            ;D
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
              That's my dangerous story, more user induced than anything, but still, it shows one problem with them when you have a "hero driver, super trucker" that won't stop driving when he should.
              Interesting story Joe, and I'm glad that you realise and acknowlege that the "danger" in this instance was actually the human driver and not the technology.
              ;)

Comment

Keith, I've been a GPS nerd for years. Can't live without one, especially for estimating travel times.

It's ridiculous how accurate these things can predict your arrival time.

A really good cheap one to try out, is the Nuvi 255W. The "w" model has the wide screen - lots of real estate - and it's just got the basic travel features you'd want. The more expensive units just start adding features that are questionable to me... i.e., I don't really care about "spoken street names" when a simple "turn right in 1/4 mile" works fine. They can add things like Satellite radio... possibly the one extra feature that would interest you is the "traffic" that can tell you if there's a tie up on your chosen route... the 255w is right around $100.

otherwise, they're wicked fun tools to use on the kind of long road trips that you like to take. Estimate fuel stops, arrival times, etc. On top of providing good directions and alternate routes if there's a traffic jam on your current route.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

We've had one for a while.. it's been fun.... and honestly it is distracting ... so I usually only use it to find the "Exact" address... these things are Sick at that....

I also know you have to have a brain to go with one... it might get you there... but you have to sort out and look at if you like the route it is using...

K

Comment

I agree with DG.........it is amazing how accurate
                    the estimated travel time is.

One feature I have on mine I like is the
                    Bluetooth.......it really works well also.

They're really come in handy on vacation.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

For two people that grew up in the midwest where roads generally go either east-west or north-south having a GPS out here in CA where roads go all different directions has been indispensable. I bought ours for my wife when I went to Iraq a few years ago since she wouldn't be able to do what she normally did which was to call me and have me look up a map on the internet and give her directions.

Comment

looks as nerdy as a pocket protector
                        where is you're sense of ADVENTURE ?
                        why do people leave them on in familiar territory ?

Comment

I have one and I absolutely love it!...But it's not the kind you use in a car. Mine is the hand held Garmin that I use for hiking,camping and offroading. It has a mount that goes on the bars of my trail bike....Don't get lost in the mountains anymore!
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I'm of the opinion that they can at times be distracting. Like talking to somebody else in your car, thinking about the races you're going to this weekend, or looking at the really nice Camaro you see on the other side of the road. Anything can be distracting. The poison ivy you got weeding behind your house can be distracting. If you're a good drive and paying attention, they are no more distracting than anything else.

On the other hand, they can ELIMINATE distractions in a huge way. No crossing over 3 lanes of traffic because the directions written on a piece of notepaper in your lap show a left turn on Main street, and you weren't expecting it for another mile but the person giving you directions has no sense of distance. They are available technology that should be considered. Just like electronic and digital ignition, CNC port work on heads, high output lighting systems, etc. I believe they make the roads safer on average than any risk they add. People have far more warning of upcoming turns than they ever had. Warning equals safety.

Comment

I may be the only one with OnStar. We have it in the HHR and really like it. The down side is that they are somewhat operator dependent as you're dealing with an actual human on the other end of a sat phone line. All in all, it's pretty cool.

My favorite OnStar story - we were traveling in the boondocks on the way to the Grand Canyon and needed to stop for the night (unlike Hero Trucker Joe). We had Beaux the Wonder Dog with us so we needed a place to stay that was OK with dogs. "No problem sir. Let me dial that for you". And they did. Nice Mom & Pop, too.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X