Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here ever skip a grade in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here ever skip a grade in school?

After our annual meeting with the teachers and principal it was recommended my youngest skip 5th grade and come back after the summer as a 6th grader. Just curious if anyone has ever done it and the good and the bad of it. Thanks.

Re: Anyone here ever skip a grade in school?

I didn't skip a grade, but I graduated when i was 17. Something you have to keep in mind is your son will almost always be the youngest person in his class, during his freshman year possibly the school. This may not be a bad thing and obviously the teachers think he could handle it, but do you remember sixth grade? High school? There can be a big difference in just one year. A very good friend of mine skipped a year in grade school and could have even skipped another later, but her mom wouldn't let her. She is one of those rare individuals who was mature enough AND smart enough to pull it off with ease. She is now a very well liked teacher in Memphis with a great family life. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: do you think your son is mature enough to deal with it? Would he be jumping a year ahead in school, or would he be catching up with his peers? (does that make sense?)
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I encountered this in grade school.

I was one of two "january babies" that ended up in the same spelling bee championship from two different state schools. As odds would have it a book writing contest ended up the same, not long after, the same two kids, I was one of them. I guess as an experiment one of the kids I was with went a grade ahead. There is a difference within one year.

later on in high school, I ended repeating two courses in senior year. I cannot remember my own school record, but something showed I was off by alot of things one year ahead. The drawback to moving..noone in the administration knew what to do. Being seventeen, living with a mentally challenged parent, I quit, and without study aced the GED.
      If it is a recommend to go ahead, do it..just keep an eye on adolescent stages a bit closer than most parents. I had a real problem finding my own age group for as long as I can remember.

EDIT: I did learn the concept of GED can have no prejudice. The GED is also there to fix administration problems with true equality. In fact, the year of my GED the air force was supposedly not accepting it. I got in no problems. No questions... ended up with some honor awards through training, part of it was schooling before entering. It picked me up alot to know stereotypes can be conquered. the GED is real...if you aint got one, go for it.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
        I didn't skip a grade, but I graduated when i was 17. Something you have to keep in mind is your son will almost always be the youngest person in his class, during his freshman year possibly the school. This may not be a bad thing and obviously the teachers think he could handle it, but do you remember sixth grade? High school? There can be a big difference in just one year. A very good friend of mine skipped a year in grade school and could have even skipped another later, but her mom wouldn't let her. She is one of those rare individuals who was mature enough AND smart enough to pull it off with ease. She is now a very well liked teacher in Memphis with a great family life. I guess what I'm trying to say is this: do you think your son is mature enough to deal with it? Would he be jumping a year ahead in school, or would he be catching up with his peers? (does that make sense?)
        That was one of the things that we talked about and the consenus was that he would have no problems socially. One of the problems the school has is that not only is he so far advanced, the group of kids he's in class with now are on the lower end of the spectrum as a whole, so the teacher is having to teach at a slower pace so they can keep up. Even with the gifted program he's in they ran out of options to keep him challenged, so they think this might be the best scenario. I called the military school where he'll be more then likely be going to high school at and asked if it would be a problem and they said no.
        My Dad was skipped 3 grades as a kid and graduated at 15 and he said the only thing he didn't like was he could never really play sports because he was so small compared to his classmates. Since mine isn't into sports at all, I don't think that's really going to be a factor. I worry more about dating and stuff like that. Most of the family is telling us to do it and just keep an eye on him. We have a few more weeks to let them know if we want to do it, so that's why I figured I'd start asking for some opinions. I appreciate all the input guys.......

Comment

Originally posted by Nik2

That was one of the things that we talked about and the consenus was that he would have no problems socially...My Dad was skipped 3 grades as a kid and graduated at 15 and he said the only thing he didn't like was he could never really play sports because he was so small compared to his classmates... I worry more about dating and stuff like that...
          We're hitting near the center of the target now. High school can be tough. It can be really tough for a small brainy kid who isn't into sports. All depends on his social skills, I guess.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Really tough decision to make Nik.
            As already discussed, it is a toss up of keeping him intellectually challenged at this critical learning stage, versus allowing him to opportunity to grow emotionally with his physical peers (and current friends).

I could have graduated at 17 a year early, but decided to go ahead and take a full academic schedule my senior year to enjoy my friends, the prom, grad night, etc... I believe it was the correct decision, but was much different than your situation, as by then all the social stuff was over.

Good luck and let us know how it pans out for you.
            ;)

Comment

I'd not do it.. he /she might be smart enough, but at some point , it will, catch up to him/her and the lack of maturity. and that will hinder, more than help..

Comment

As I see it there's (as always) 2 sides to this coin. Yes, he needs to be challenged intellectually but he also needs time to be a kid and to learn how to fit in and play (and ultimately work) with others. I'll wager many of us have had the the brilliant coworker who couldn't fit into the flow of the place and wound up stuck in corner someplace (the Government is full of them) while less talented but more socially adept people advance.

It's a Solomon's choice, for sure. Good luck
                Dan

Comment

This sounds alot like me.

When I was in kindergarten, I wasn't into the cookies,
                  counting and sleep. I wanted work to do.
                  So they sent me to 1rst grade in the PM.

By 3rd grade, I was doing 5th and 6th grade work, so as not to be bored.

They were getting work from Jr. High and High schools by 6th grade, the world was cool,
                  and I thought life would be easy.

I show up for Jr. High, and was soon doing the exact same stuff I'd
                  been doing in 3rd and 4th grade. I got frustrated quickly.
                  They did what they could to keep me interested.

By high school, I was back to doing stuff I'd already done,
                  and they couldn't care less.
                  So I started skipping school entirely...still made it to 12th grade,
                  where I finally said screw it, I went to work at my brothers shop
                  and told em to f#*& off.

Comment

I don't think I'd do it, but find other extra-cirricular activities to challenge him. The option to move to a more challenging school sounds like a good one. Just from a social/peer level it doesn't seem right, and as mentioned it does depend somewhat on his social skills.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I skiped 6th grade all together...We moved to a new area and when I went to my new school they put me right into 7th grade from 5th, It was some kind of paper work goof up. They did not get it figured out until half of the year was gone. And I was done with high school 22 days after my 17th birthday. I still spell like crap and my hand writing sucks...Maybe that was what I missed in 6th grade ;D

Comment

We talked about it concerning my son, he has been doing work 1 year ahead of his current grade for the last 5 years due to the type of school he is in, we were discussing having him skip 4th and jump to 5th.....we opted to keep him where he was, figured it was best for him....due to the class room atmosphere allows him to be challenged and he is in a gifted program so we don't feel like we did not allow himself to be challenged. ultimately it is up to you folks to decide
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                          We talked about it concerning my son, he has been doing work 1 year ahead of his current grade for the last 5 years due to the type of school he is in, we were discussing having him skip 4th and jump to 5th.....we opted to keep him where he was, figured it was best for him....due to the class room atmosphere allows him to be challenged and he is in a gifted program so we don't feel like we did not allow himself to be challenged. ultimately it is up to you folks to decide
                          The gifted program instructor he has was the one that really thought he needed moved ahead as everything she's thrown at him he's excelled at. He's in 4th now, but the work he's doing now is sophmore and junior level stuff and senior level in math. We had a kid from his grade school a few years ago who is now a 15 year old freshman at UNM and that's who they compared him to. I don't want to be the one to hold him back, but I do want to make sure he enjoys being a kid.......

Comment

Being a kid can be over rated.... let him accel and be special ....

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                              Being a kid can be over rated.... let him accel and be special ....

Yup, he's got all his adult life to act like a kid.

Comment

Working...
                              X