Any one into RC cars....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one into RC cars....

I am looking at some used stuff on craigslist (gas) and one new one through the BX/PX. (electric)..these are not the toys r us types like Tyco and Niko...I have always wanted one since I was a kid but never wanted to spend the money....I want to buy one I can play with with my little guy, he is totaly into stuff like that....the down side is I know next to nothing about them....I want to spend less than 200 bucks, I have seen some bad ass ones but they are way to expensive for my blood.....I figure if we enjoy it and its fun maybe its a cool hobby he and I can get into when he gets a little older....its obvious that I will never be able to build a real car, the moeny, time, skill just aint there....so....this could be fun.....these are the ones I think I am most interested in....

if anyone is into this sort of thing let me know what you think
    ready to run for 239.00

Specifications
    Scale: 1/18
    Length: 12 in (304.8mm)
    Width: 7 in (177.8mm)
    Wheelbase: 8.5 in (215.9mm)
    Weight: 2.04 lb (926 g)
    Chassis: Metal Twin Vertical Plate (TVP)
    Suspension: Multi-link
    Drive Train: 4WD with lock differentials
    Tire Type: Mini-Rock Claw tires
    Speed Control: Electronic FWD/RWD with drag brake
    Radio: LSR3000 Radio with Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM
    Batteries: 7.2V 1100mAh NiMH battery
    Charger: Included
    Wheel Size: 1.9 in (48.26mm) (hex is 12mm)
    Kit/RTR: RTR
    Body: Pre-painted,Tuber-style in red, blue or black
    Ball Bearings: Complete

This is the 1/10 scale electric powered, radio controlled, ready to run,
    DuraTrax Evader EXB Off-Road Buggy W/Sprint ESC.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Any one into RC cars....

Ya their lots of fun. What I would suggest is do a bunch of research, find out what is out there, and buy used off of Ebay or Creigs list. Used and in good shape, and stay with name brands for parts availability. I would not spend more than $100 for the first one. If you enjoy it, sell it off for what you paid and then move up. You can drop some big $$$ in RC's fast. Have fun. ;D
    Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbuds1
      Ya their lots of fun. What I would suggest is do a bunch of research, find out what is out there, and buy used off of Ebay or Creigs list. Used and in good shape, and stay with name brands for parts availability. I would not spend more than $100 for the first one. If you enjoy it, sell it off for what you paid and then move up. You can drop some big $$$ in RC's fast. Have fun. ;D

I have read some really good reviews for the buggy shown above, and for 129 bucks ready to run I dont think you can beat it......I think it might be the way to go...i did just find a gas one for 100 bucks on Craigslist so I may go check it out tomorrow.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I used to be all ate up with racing r/c cars (I got better). Depends on what you want to do. The Losi in the pic is a crawler-good for that but not very fast. Buggies are good for racing on groomed tracks but not so much for bashing around the yard-trucks are better for that because of their bigger tires.

Check these out-

There good out of the box, great fun, really rugged, and parts are cheap and common(you WILL break it). Might be worth looking for a used one. You'll still need a battery and charger. Spend the extra right up front for a cheap lithium battery-way more run time and they last a lot longer.

R/C cars are just little hot rods-the aftermarket is huge, organized racing is available everywhere. Be careful-it's a slippery slope.

Comment

I've been into this stuff since I was a kid and have had plenty.

I actually have one of those Losi Mini Rock Crawlers (same one as the pick - my little guy even picked the red body version). The rock crawlers are fun, but they are slow so don't expect any speed records. They can crawl over damn near anything though (and the battery run times are really good).

I've got a nitro truck as well (older Traxxas T-maxx 2.5). I highly recommend the Traxxas stuff as the aftermarket & factory replacement parts are plentiful and cheap. One thing to keep an eye on with some of the brands such as Duratrax is parts availability. In my neck of the woods finding duratrax parts is difficult, most shops cater to Traxxas, Losi & Associated with some other stuff thrown in the mix. Could be different in your area, but check out local parts availability because the damn thing WILL break just when you don't want it to. (I have a 3 1/2 year old - if we take the truck out and it breaks I better be able to fix it & fast or he'll be bent the rest of the day from the disappointment - been there, done that)

Have fun, but it's addictive & expensive!

Comment

I'd start with the electric one first..(just get an extra battpack..
            kids can be into something ,and just as quick board of it..
            same with the adult..
            get one for the landscape your find where ever you go..
            we took ours camping/to the races/etc..
            as it pass the time.. and fun at the same time..
            the electric one isn't as noisy.. and this is a biggy with a kid that might have an itch to play with it on a sundaymorning at 6am..
            good luck,
            the best all around one is going to be a 2wheel or 4 wheel drive buggy.. it can be used on most landscapes.. and isn't so slow(rockcrawler) that the kid gets board...
            look for a buggy thats not low.. like the electric you pic..
            they make them with alot of ground clearance.. and will be good for 98% of the places you'd even up running it..

then as your child gets older and if still into it..
            go gas...

Comment

I am leaning towards the buggy pictured above, due to price...the parts are availible online and there a bunch of hop up kits for it....the rock crawler looks cool but I want somethig fast and I found a video of the buggy above being used on the type of terrain i would use it on and it looks like fast affordable fun.....has decent clearance and seems to srtand up to a bit of abuse.

Comment

Sounds like you made up your mind Joe.
                Please post some pics of your buggy when you get it.

Comment

I dont know...I can order it all from the same place..what supprises me is that if I buy 1 charger and 2 batteries, it is almsot half the cost of the car!

I may order tonight....

I am going to call about a gas one I found on craigslist...just for S&G's

Comment

I got into them kinda heavy back in 89-91 when I was stationed in Germany, nothing else to do so I had 7 or 8 of them. Built some incredibly fast electrics back then, but nowhere near as fast as the brushless motors now. My daughter has a REVO 2.5 that I keep up here, its a good truck but the speed tends to break stuff. Lots of control arms for me. The mods available are fun and these things HAUL.

I would suggest an electric for the first one, cheap, simple, no tuning, and easy to start, just dont get five battery packs and run them all through it in an hour. That tends to warm stuff up a bit too much. They all need some cool down time between runs, or stuff starts to melt and let the smoke geenie escape. Nitro engines require glow plugs, fuel, after lube, tuning, break in time, lots of clean up time and often a starter or battery pack for the starter. They also need more room and the noise can be a problem, my mother in law hates my REVO and my 36" shockwave boat.

RC is addictive, my brother doesnt get his full size car projects done because of all the airplanes, choppers, boats and RC cars he messes with, well that and year long deployments flying his UH60. I dont mess with them too often so I can get stuff done on my big projects. Its very easy to spend a few grand on kits, radios, and parts for these things, its a good bonding tool for you and the kids though.

Comment

I want to keep the cost down...I have something else in the works....so i just want to get something me and the little guy to doodle with on the cheap...electric sounds like the way to go..I dont feel like F-ing with tuning and all the other crap involved with gas and nitro....My other 2 kids at home do not have any interest in much outside of playing with their friends...and thats fine...but my youngest loves hot rods and race cars and he was stoked over the RC cars on powerblock last weekend...so....

Comment

Joe, thanks for starting this thread and dredging up a supressed memory from my childhood that I think I am finally going to be able to act on!

I craved a Tamiya Clod Buster when I was a kid and completely forgot about it until I read your original post. I had a Traxxas buggy that was identical to the one you are looking at (I scraped up the money and had my dad drive me to the hobby shop) and loved the thing. They are fast and fun to drive. It would do awesome burnouts in sand and you could speed it around doing donuts and stuff. You'll LOVE it and your little guy will be hooked on it too.

I broke the front suspension off of mine jumping it off bike ramps a couple years after I got it. It went under the garage stairs and never saw the light of day again.

Anyway, back then I didn't have the discipline to save up more money for the Clod Buster so I went for the buggy. I can squirrel some bucks away for a couple months and have my Clod Buster! Tom would be all into it as well. NICE!

Here a picture of the truck I want:

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

NEAT!!! Do it Do it do it....

Do you still have the broken one...FIX IT....

I can remeber some kids in the neighbor hood having some wicked fast RC cars...at the time I think the RC10 was the biggest fastest mofo around....I wnated one but even then at 300 bucks....it was way out of my price range...I think I am gonna do this....the wife is gonna be pissed...but who gives a shit... I can hear it now.....

oh whats that honey, youre pissed cuz I spent 200 bucks on a little toy for me and my son...huh...how much did that MF-ing hair cut cost....yeah...nuff said.

Comment

You guys will have a blast with it. I am seriously considering the "forgiveness over permission" route myself right now as well. :D
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Joe,
                              Watch out!!, It is just as bad as real cars. I would go with an ready to run kit RTR in your case and stay away from the Tyco's and the Nikko brands. As the only place you can get parts for them is from the factory. Losi, Associated, Hpi, Traxxas are all real good brands and have something in the ready to run kits to fit all budgets and you can get parts for them just about anywere. And when your ready to step it up and be stupid give me a call and I will tell you just how stupid it can get !! ;D Right now my current ride of choice is my 1/8th scale mugen..Ya I bet I have about 3 grand in it !! ya I know STUPID... But like I said it can be just as bad as the real thing

Comment

Working...
                              X